Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

I can't figure out how the new passenger flow will work.. So you come off of departures drop off enter this grand lobby (which will be filled with TSA screening lanes??) then you go through a concession area?? then there are the international gates after that with the concourses on the right and left? It doesn't seem like the new terminal lobby area is deep enough to handle all of that? It would be great to see a floor plan if anyone has access to one?

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 12:46 PM, BeaveStirs said:

I can't figure out how the new passenger flow will work.. So you come off of departures drop off enter this grand lobby (which will be filled with TSA screening lanes??) then you go through a concession area?? then there are the international gates after that with the concourses on the right and left? It doesn't seem like the new terminal lobby area is deep enough to handle all of that? It would be great to see a floor plan if anyone has access to one?

Imagine the glass walls being where the American ticket counter used to be and then the central screening area. With more lanes and more efficient CT machines the depth of the "TSA area" should be slightly less shallow. There was also the addition of at least 50 feet when gates C1-3 and then B1-3 were permanently closed to expand the center area.

Where I lose track of it all is whether the departure lounge for gates T1-6 will be on the same level or down a level, similar to A1-5 at BWI.

• Like 3

Today this evening from Facebook. 

FYI! The new scanners at the TSA checkpoint in the Grand Lobby use a sophisticated algorithm to generate a 3-D image of the bag’s contents. TSA officers can manipulate the 3-D X-ray image onscreen to allow for a better view of the content of bags, ultimately reducing the number of secondary bag checks.
:stop:PLEASE NOTE: the opening to the X-ray tunnel on a CT unit is slightly smaller than on a traditional X-ray unit, so oversized carry-on bags can no longer be accommodated. Swipe to see the bin dimensions.

5E178157-9832-4023-A2E4-77E187773B66.jpeg

0B7BF753-B5AE-4302-BE55-F0E7041A657E.jpeg

Edited by Sean blackdog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sean blackdog said:

FYI! The new scanners at the TSA checkpoint in the Grand Lobby use a sophisticated algorithm to generate a 3-D image of the bag’s contents. TSA officers can manipulate the 3-D X-ray image onscreen to allow for a better view of the content of bags, ultimately reducing the number of secondary bag checks.
:stop:PLEASE NOTE: the opening to the X-ray tunnel on a CT unit is slightly smaller than on a traditional X-ray unit, so oversized carry-on bags can no longer be accommodated. Swipe to see the bin dimensions.

This post on Twitter is causing confusion.  they say that over sized bags will have to be checked.  so naturally all of the replies are asking if they are going to force guitars to be checked.   also, their dimensions are smaller than what some carriers, (including southwest, our largest carrier) allow.

The TSA responded to someone's question and directly contradicted what BNA said.   

I predict some yelling tomorrow.   possible some viral videos of people yelling at nashville TSA about their guitars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, volsfanwill said:

This post on Twitter is causing confusion.  they say that over sized bags will have to be checked.  so naturally all of the replies are asking if they are going to force guitars to be checked.   also, their dimensions are smaller than what some carriers, (including southwest, our largest carrier) allow.

The TSA responded to someone's question and directly contradicted what BNA said.   

I predict some yelling tomorrow.   possible some viral videos of people yelling at nashville TSA about their guitars.

It's becoming farcical how bad MNAA communications staff is. I read Doug Kreulen's comments on the police encounter viral video and he sounded like an idiot. There's no way they hadn't put 2+2 together on a major IROP event until 12/26.

Back on topic, does anyone with experience using these machines know if liquids and laptops can stay put like the current CT scanners? I know pre-precheck there was a tradeoff with loading easily but bags taking longer to be analyzed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

My question would be, of the 20 lanes, how many will be open on the typical day? And how will that compare to the previous separate screening areas. I do understand that having it centralized and modernized, it should function better.

There are 18 total lanes between the N/S split checkpoints, so a net increase of 2 lanes. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sean blackdog said:

5E178157-9832-4023-A2E4-77E187773B66.jpeg

0B7BF753-B5AE-4302-BE55-F0E7041A657E.jpeg

Music City airport can't fit a guitar case through their scanners... who is making these decisions?