Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

10 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

NBJ article about plans to keep up with growth at BNA...  https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/02/08/how-nashville-international-airport-stays-ahead-of.html 

1)  Building capacity for 35 million passengers by 2028 (New Horizon)

2)  Preparing for 40 million passengers in next 10 years

3)  70-72 gates at end of New Horizon (est. completion in 2028)

4)  Article says growth from pre-pandemic is 124%, but I believe that should be 24% growth over pre-pandemic levels; pax growth between 6% and 12% annually; twice national avg.

5) Doubling of revenue by the end of the year (June 2023) from $250M to $500M

40 million bro what

thats like almost as busy as the Miami airport. If Nashville gets that busy surely a legacy carrier will make it into a hub, probably United.

6 hours ago, UrbanWes03 said:

How is a rail line to and from Downtown not on here, especially if they’re planning for that much growth. It was even in one of the previous plans. They should at least be advocating for it. 

Huge missed opportunity. Huge.

• Like 2

We discussed during Saturdays meet and thought if Amtrak came to Nashville. Where should the terminal go? Downtown or At the Airport? At the airport at 1st then downtown?  There is still the proposed rail connector between the airport and downtown and who knows when that will happen.

Now that this can of worms is open, I will leave it to you to unpack and go fishing.

• Like 4

United is allergic to non-existing-hub growth. I think they’re content leaving the Southeast to Delta and United and concentrating on the west coast and the northeast. They’ve never shown the remotest desire to expand at BNA, unlike DL and AA who will occasionally go through fits of adding seasonal vacation spots and focus cities. I think the last route expansion UA did at BNA was when they added SFO in like 2016 or 2017. 

13 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

We discussed during Saturdays meet and thought if Amtrak came to Nashville. Where should the terminal go? Downtown or At the Airport? At the airport at 1st then downtown?  There is still the proposed rail connector between the airport and downtown and who knows when that will happen.

Now that this can of worms is open, I will leave it to you to unpack and go fishing.

Oh right I forgot about the Amtrak proposal. That should help for a commuter rail line possibly as one of Amtrak's proposed stops is at the airport so I guess there will technically be a rail option if done as proposed.

Edited by UrbanWes03

10 hours ago, UrbanWes03 said:

Oh right I forgot about the Amtrak proposal. That should help for a commuter rail line possibly as one of Amtrak's proposed stops is at the airport so I guess there will technically be a rail option if done as proposed.

Depending on the cost of train fare from Chattanooga to Nashville it could also lead to an increase of people traveling from Chattanooga to BNA for more plentiful flight options. 

• Like 3

Intercity rail stop at the Gulch/downtown.

Metro / Light Rail to the airport (as part of M'boro Pike buildout).

Streetcar (trolley/tram/etc) from the river through midtown, terminating near Vandy, connecting the Star, Lower Broad, light rail to the airport, the Gulch, the new midtown districts, the hospitals, and Vanderbilt.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2023 at 9:34 PM, Pdt2f said:

Lol I know the rendering is just to show the possible capabilities of the airport, but it’s a bit rich of them to have 27 A380’s in one bank at an airport in central Poland 😂

Here was one I designed for Middle Tennessee 30 years ago with 72  domestic gates and 27 international gates.  Each elevated mushroom had 4 gates and  all the linear access to them was underground.    The rendering shows 747s at the gates and if you look carefully you will see the Concore taking off.    Planes had finger access  to both front and rear doors.  The sweeping arc on the left was to be a maglev train right into the terminal.  This design was to take ALL international flights for the Eastern US and connect them into the domestic airlines.  The elevated maglev line shown was the first route from OHare in Chicago to Atlanta and Miami.  The 8 runways were 16,00 feet long and were intended to also serve space planes suceeding  the shuttles.   The project got as far as land acquistion  but was scrapped due to a major receesion and a change of administration in Washington  I was the principal architect.  Too bad,' I would have been rich.

IMG_20230210_183242513.jpg

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 3

On 2/9/2023 at 12:45 AM, UrbanWes03 said:

How is a rail line to and from Downtown not on here, especially if they’re planning for that much growth. It was even in one of the previous plans. They should at least be advocating for it. 

As to rail  for Nashville, as I said 30 years ago, why not use prefabricated elevated rails?  Maybe not maglev as I thought best 30 years ago, but still a viable option IMO for the future.  The key would be limiting terminal locations to minimal numbers.  One in the core and one at the airport. Later expand to connect major airports and cities as I envisioned back then.  The huge advantage IMO is that a fully elevated system could be built solely on air rights and would not need to be restricted to arteries, both automobile and railroad, established back in the days of horese and buggy.  My maglev proposal for the worldport routed primarily through the countryside avoiding the squalor and clutter alongside of existing routes.  The new line could go through areas difficult for highway and rail to be built, but of natural beauty.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Baronakim said:

As to rail  for Nashville, as I said 30 years ago, why not use prefabricated elevated rails?  Maybe not maglev as I thought best 30 years ago, but still a viable option IMO for the future.  The key would be limiting terminal locations to minimal numbers.  One in the core and one at the airport. Later expand to connect major airports and cities as I envisioned back then.  The huge advantage IMO is that a fully elevated system could be built solely on air rights and would not need to be restricted to arteries, both automobile and railroad, established back in the days of horese and buggy.  My maglev proposal for the worldport routed primarily through the countryside avoiding the squalor and clutter alongside of existing routes.  The new line could go through areas difficult for highway and rail to be built, but of natural beauty.

Here is a video showing how they do this in China.  A big advance over the tech 30 years ago.  These elevated lines here could go through gorgeous areas like the  scotish train viaduct  in Harry Potter.  This would free the necessity of using overcrowded right of ways on our existing infrastructure.   While this is just a bridge, the process could be made much less expensive through standardation of components including partial prefabrication of column design.  IMO this would make connections to other cities more possible and create a awesome high speed network through the countryside.  The Chinese brideg is automotive, Two way rail would allow longer, more cost effective spans and lighter column designs than highway construction.  Our preliminary  estimates 30 years ago were that a high speed connection between O'Hare and the Worldport would be similar in time to having to board a medium jetliner and disembark by air travel.  This would replace a huge of shorter air taffic IMO.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 3