Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

Today this morning from Facebook BNA.  

We heard your requests for a bigger cell lot, and we have big news! On March 15, we're opening a new cell lot to meet passenger demands, provide ample space for travelers and alleviate the traffic congestion around the roadways. The new cell lot is off Murfreesboro Pike, approximately a 3-mile drive (5–7-minutes) from the BNA main terminal, has a security guard, provides 240 parking spaces, and is 2.5 times larger than the current lots. For more detailed information and FAQ’s visit: https://bit.ly/3yCklC4

C991338B-0BD2-4EC4-A540-8D465ADDC0E0.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hell, it seemed like 1.5M cars were parked in and around the airport when I was there for a few weeks... LOL!!!  Not only are all the airport parking lots full, but satellite lots off Murfreesboro Pike are pretty full.  And the Parking Spot private airport parking lot is also pretty full.

On 3/22/2023 at 1:47 PM, natethegreat said:

The big numbers continue. Looking for a 2.15 - 2.20M month in June. 

I flew allegiant from Washington-Dulles to BNA earlier this week and B concourse was absolutely packed. The flight itself was maybe 80% full or more (it was full in front of me but I was crammed in a middle seat between two portly passengers so I couldn’t see behind me), which ain’t bad for a midweek flight with no connecting passengers in a seasonal leisure airline from an inconveniently located, secondary (as far as short range domestic flights) airport. 

The new lobby was gorgeous and there were tons of people coming and going, it felt like a much larger airport. 

• Like 4

Flew last week to MYR and back. Half full down, completely full coming back with lots of connecting traffic. The lobby is very nice, but the stanchions being so invasive into the new space makes it feel a bit tacky. I wish more space had been created behind the glass walls for these. And I hadn't been in A/B since the central area was closed, but I couldn't believe how low the ceiling was in the rotunda. Doesn't feel as claustrophobic as the bottom level, but it's not far off. Perhaps when A is rebuilt there can be some adjustments since I would expect it to be flush with the central terminal like D is.

The site where there was a temporary retail stand across from the USO lounge between C and D has been covered in sheetrock, no announcement of what's to come. Tennessee rickhouse was open and busy, although I'm not sure I would eat anything there as it looked like the kitchen was nothing more than a couple turbochef convection toasters.

For anyone that hasn't looked at the board and subcommittee minutes, the amount of information posted now is significantly more than in years past. Scroll 2/3 of the way down to find the materials https://flynashville.com/nashville-airport-authority/leadership

Thoughts and prayers to anyone having to fly with children anytime soon, hard to keep a 6 year old focused when the new stores in the marketplace area sell Legos, candy, and very breakable stuff. 

PXL_20230314_234042963.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chato_reyes said:

Tennessee rickhouse was open and busy, although I'm not sure I would eat anything there as it looked like the kitchen was nothing more than a couple turbochef convection toasters.

Thoughts and prayers to anyone having to fly with children anytime soon, hard to keep a 6 year old focused when the new stores in the marketplace area sell Legos, candy, and very breakable stuff. 

We flew in and out last week; both planes to and from LGA were packed full.  I think I will have a seat at Tennessee Rickhouse in a few weeks....looked like they had Little Harpeth Chicken Scratch on tap.

The candy store, Nashville's Candy Jar, WOW....lots of loot for the little ones.  When did candy cigarettes become a thing again?  I presume only the word "cigarettes" was cancelled as the candy was available at Nashville Candy Jar and at least one other market space at BNA.

On 3/25/2023 at 6:59 AM, tragenvol said:

We flew in and out last week; both planes to and from LGA were packed full.  I think I will have a seat at Tennessee Rickhouse in a few weeks....looked like they had Little Harpeth Chicken Scratch on tap.

The candy store, Nashville's Candy Jar, WOW....lots of loot for the little ones.  When did candy cigarettes become a thing again?  I presume only the word "cigarettes" was cancelled as the candy was available at Nashville Candy Jar and at least one other market space at BNA.

I flew round trip BNA-LGA in late January and it was packed as well. Every seat sold on the 737-8M on the way to NY, probably 85% full 738 on the return leg. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

I completely agree! There are some weird things with construction costing so much more here than it does in Europe, but something like below could help with the passenger experience so much. 

ADELTE will manufacture and deliver 12 additional Passenger Boarding  Bridges in Baghdad

Yeah but where are you gonna advertise? All about the $$$

On 3/28/2023 at 8:50 PM, dmillsphoto said:

Yeah but where are you gonna advertise? All about the $$$

I presume you mean the "branding" they put on the side walls? That makes total sense from a corporate use of space.

On 3/29/2023 at 9:12 AM, PruneTracy said:

This is just conjecture based on being around clients/engineers/architects during the airport design process, but I think the main reason jetways don't have windows is that airports view the servicing/baggage process as "back of house" and are not trying to draw attention to it. Not for nefarious reasons, just because to them it's not part of their customer-facing operations. Same reason they don't have giant windows at baggage claim showing the conveyors, etc.

Also, I personally don't really want to walk through a greenhouse at BNA in August.

On 3/29/2023 at 9:23 AM, MLBrumby said:

I'd guess they also don't want people slowing down to take in the view (whatever it may be)... so keep going forward "toward the light".  

On 3/29/2023 at 11:13 AM, Nash_12South said:

The jetways can also be hot on some days. All that glass could make them pretty uncomfortable in July.....

I totally understand all this reasoning. I think all of this also points to what makes us "fall behind" our European counterparts, sort of speak. We conceal the BOH items because it is "dirty" or "less aesthetically pleasing" when really that is an essential service. If anything it puts a light on a job that otherwise is pushed down in society. Plus, the operations of this kind of thing are really quite impressive sometimes. When it comes to a hot day, well there are so many ways around that its hard to use that "excuse'. They already move some air through them so it isn't a huge deal (to me at least). And as for the movement aspect, well I know some folks that get quite clastraphobic in those jetways because you almost ALWAYS get stuck in a line on them waiting for people to board. Why not make it feel less like a rat in a metal box and a more enjoyable experience.

I don't disagree with anyone's sentiments here, but rather disagree with where we as American society put the emphasis of things. The glazed jetways puts more emphasis on the occupants and how they use the space and creates a much more comfortable experience (presuming the air is working on a hot summer day). The current model is a VE'd one where the glazed jetways are more expensive to build and maintain and also probably has a slightly higher energy cost. To me though, the airports we build in this country should absolutely put the emphasis on the occupants/end users. Now I am not saying throw budgets out the window, but rather reprioritize the value of these things. Airports many times define the travel experience for folks around the world. America as whole is just behind the times on that.

• Like 4