Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

On 4/15/2023 at 8:11 AM, tragenvol said:

This week I picked up a family member; the cell phone parking lot is now at the old Genesco Building on Murfreesboro Rd.  It's 3.5 miles away from the terminal.  Surely this is temporary.  I saw the street wayfinding signage with the address for the cell phone lot (1415 Murfreesboro Pk), and I knew immediately where that was and couldn't believe it.  By the way, Genesco is abandoned; I guess they went remote.  Looks like it could be used for an apocalyptic movie set.  I'm flying out again this week; looking forward to exploring more of the new digs this visit.

Who thought that was a good place to relocate the cell phone lot? Guarantee all the nearby hotels and restaurants are hating it, taking up all their parking.  That is where everyone is going to wait. TPA did it right  has a lot away from the airport but still less than half the distance as BNA served by the 6 minute tram ride from arrivals. Huge display/flights status screens, permanent restrooms, free Wifi, vending machines and free EV charging stations. Some pics of the tampa lot.

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 09-48-31 Cell Phone Waiting Lot - TPA 5302 Economy Parking Rd Tampa FL Parking Garages - MapQuest.png

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 09-48-59 Cell Phone Waiting Lot - TPA 5302 Economy Parking Rd Tampa FL Parking Garages - MapQuest.png

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 09-47-37 Cell Phone Waiting Lot - TPA 5302 Economy Parking Rd Tampa FL Parking Garages - MapQuest.png

Edited by leggy77
  • Like 3

Nashville International Airport has announced plans to open an additional parking garage — named "Garage B" — which will add 1,800 covered spaces over six stories. The new addition will connect directly to the on-site Hilton Hotel.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/04/28/deal-dash-east-bank-hotel-bna-parking-garage.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

Flying to Dallas next week and I'll be checking to see if "garage B" is just an extension of terminal garage 1 or if it's separated by some kind of railing. When I went to San Antonio last month it just looked like an extension of the main garage.  They seem to make things as confusing as possible and I wish I knew why.

20 hours ago, leggy77 said:

Who thought that was a good place to relocate the cell phone lot? Guarantee all the nearby hotels and restaurants are hating it, taking up all their parking.  That is where everyone is going to wait. TPA did it right  has a lot away from the airport but still less than half the distance as BNA served by the 6 minute tram ride from arrivals. Huge display/flights status screens, permanent restrooms, free Wifi, vending machines and free EV charging stations. Some pics of the tampa lot.

15 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Isn’t the new cell phone waiting lot just temporary? I thought I heard they will be building a new permanent lot after the Donaldson Pike project is done. Anyone have intel on that?

Petty sure it is only temporary while the road work continues with the original cell waiting area closed.  But still, 3.5 miles in the meantime isn't the most convenient.

11 hours ago, Chato_reyes said:

Flying to Dallas next week and I'll be checking to see if "garage B" is just an extension of terminal garage 1 or if it's separated by some kind of railing. When I went to San Antonio last month it just looked like an extension of the main garage.  They seem to make things as confusing as possible and I wish I knew why.

Right...D.C. and back last week and out to Orlando next week....waiting to see when the walk to terminal garage 2 is finally cleaned up....likely still many months away.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

What airline is that parked next to the American Airlines planes (white and red)?

TWA colors. American Airlines purchased TWA in 2001, I believe. I think they also have legacy paintings for US Air and Piedmont Airlines, if I’m not mistaken. 

36 minutes ago, BeaveStirs said:

Does anyone know if the steel structure in the bottom of this picture is a boarding gate/bridge? If it is, it sure seems like it is large enough for group VI planes like the a380 and 747?

That's the shuttle area to the new satellite concourse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2023 at 11:59 AM, Jarno6006 said:

Just for fun, look at Nashville hotels for May 5-7.  They are approaching $500 for interstate  rooms in Smyrna.  

I was in Nashville from April 25th through May 4th staying at my mom's home which is on the market which I placed on the market in early April.  There was an offer on the home and I was completing some minor repairs that needed to be done before the closing date.  We were supposed to close early afternoon hours on Friday May 5th.  So, I was looking at staying in a hotel for one night and leaving the morning of May 6th because the buyer was literally moving in after closing.  Unfortunately that didn't happen as planned so I left on May 5th instead.  The reason I left was because I refused to pay the exuberantly high hotel rates for a one night stay.  Even the hotels like the Super 8 Hotel off of Donelson Pike near the airport was at $299.00.  Absolutely no way would I pay that much for a Super 8.  Actually I wouldn't pay $50 for a Super 8.  But that's just me... LOL!!!  The other hotels I've stayed in near the airport like the Embassy Suites, Sheraton Music City and lesser properties like Candlewood Suites, Hyatt Place, Four Points were all over $400.00.  I've stayed in those same hotels for as low as $89.00 pre and post Covid.  I don't recall seeing a single hotel within a 30-40 mile radius of Nashville under $279.00.  That $279 hotel was some place called Somatel Nashville Airport Hotel which is actually a motel on Metroplex Dr. off of Harding Place.   Obviously there were thousands of people willing to pay those rates but, I just couldn't justify it for one night, especially since I was going to be hitting the road to travel home around 6:00AM.

My mom now lives in Atlanta with my brother.  So, I'll have fewer trips to Nashville now.  When I do travel there it will be a bit sad not having her there.  I'll certainly miss the option of being able to stay with her.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1