Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

Hey Michael, why have passenger planes gotten so much smaller over the years while people are getting bigger! I can't believe not even one regular 767 flies out of here.

Economics my man. Economics. It is far cheaper to fly less people in smaller planes with more flights daily than to fly more people in larger planes less daily. The larger planes have been relegated to larger domestic routes or international routes that yield more return on the airlines dollar. Gone are the days, literally, of the DC-10 type flights from NYC-LAX. Now it's all about the 757, 767, and the 737-900's. That is the future of domestic travel in this country where if you want a larger jet, you need to fly abroad. Not to mention, it is a heck of alot cheaper to contract out flights on the smaller jets to other companies. For example, Continental has 0 mainline flights to BNA. A company called ExpressJets flies their E145's into here for flights into Newark, Cleveland, and Houston respectively. Why? Well, they have around 17 flights a day all on aircraft that seat around 50-60 people. It's just more economical to do it that way unfortunatly. Continental feels they wont make mony flying mainlines into BNA at this moment. I'm with you though, get those cramped little buckets of bolts out of here and give me the real deal......or get out of town! LOL!!!!

Just recently, Northwest contracted ALL ground work at stations with fewer than 50 flights a week mainline. Of course, BNA was not in that group as we have over 50 flights mainline a week on NWA. But it's far cheaper to do stuff like that than pay for the labor outright to do it yourself. And FYI, it's going to get worse before it even remotely gets better in the USA.

Edited by Lexy

Indeed. I used to fly regularly back in the early 80s before the airlines had completely figured out how to deregulate, so it was common to get onto a large plane without many people onboard. I remember once that I flew on an Eastern L-1011, a huge plane, from Miami to ATL, and there were maybe 10 passengers on it. There was actually more crew on board. Today, they wouldn't even think about flying a plane that empty.

Personally, I think that the fact that domestic travel is moving to smaller and smaller airplanes is a wonderful development. I think flying on smaller airplanes is much better it takes less time to get on and off the airplanes and baggage claim is less crowde, faster, and more convenient. Add to that, the fact flying smaller planes is cheaper for the airlines, and that will play a role in keeping the cost of flying as low as possible. I could care less about flying big airplanes. When I worked overseas in Korea back in the late '80's, I flew 747's numerous times. What a hassle it is loading ad loading nearly 400 people on and off the plane, and baggage claim was nearly nightmarish.

I look forward to the day when jet taxis seating 5 or 6 passengers becomes the dominant mode of transportation for domestic U.S flights.

Personally, I think that the fact that domestic travel is moving to smaller and smaller airplanes is a wonderful development. I think flying on smaller airplanes is much better it takes less time to get on and off the airplanes and baggage claim is less crowde, faster, and more convenient. Add to that, the fact flying smaller planes is cheaper for the airlines, and that will play a role in keeping the cost of flying as low as possible. I could care less about flying big airplanes. When I worked overseas in Korea back in the late '80's, I flew 747's numerous times. What a hassle it is loading ad loading nearly 400 people on and off the plane, and baggage claim was nearly nightmarish.

I look forward to the day when jet taxis seating 5 or 6 passengers becomes the dominant mode of transportation for domestic U.S flights.

Well, I don't know that it will get THAT small, but some changes are on their way down the pipes. Larger aircraft will always be in the air flying routes both international and domestic. But to the degree that they do now is the main question here. I think markets that are Nashville's size and above should fare well in the future. BNA has good loads and the O&D traffic from here is very good. Smaller jets would enter markets like Evansville, IN or Lexington, KY where O&D loads are small and connecting traffic is nowhere to be found.

Expect to see a decline in the 50-seat jet flights and have those replaced with the 70-100 seat jet flights.

All the airlines are doing everything they can to either stop or get rid of their 50 seat jets. The economics for a 50 seat jet just dont work for what the airlines want to do with them.

Don't be surprised over the next few years to see the 50 seat jet flights replaced with larger ERJ 170/190 or CRJ900 aircraft.

Expect to see a decline in the 50-seat jet flights and have those replaced with the 70-100 seat jet flights.

All the airlines are doing everything they can to either stop or get rid of their 50 seat jets. The economics for a 50 seat jet just dont work for what the airlines want to do with them.

Don't be surprised over the next few years to see the 50 seat jet flights replaced with larger ERJ 170/190 or CRJ900 aircraft.

You are correct. 50 seats just isn't remotely capable of producing a profit in the long run.

There are a bunch, A BUNCH of new pictures on the website now. I spent most of the weekend adding and taking away some pictures. You can check most of the galleries for new additions. If they haven't been updated, be patient, I am getting to them. I have over 300 pictures on that site so it takes a little time to get things fixed.

In the mean time, I spent this morning out at the airport in an attempt to get China Airlines. I did and here is part of the the result....

original.jpg

More can be seen here: www.pbase.com/lexyky/nashville_international_airport

Also, starting in Jan. Frontier will re-start a third flight to Cancun for the week. Currently, they are only running it twice a week from here. They reduce the flight in the late fall/early winter months due to the holidays and less travel to there for some reason. Then they ramp it back up after the big rush in December.

Edited by Lexy

Updates on the FedEx page of the gallery. I went out for a few sunset pictures and got some great colors in return!

Here is a sampling!

original.jpg

Also, if you like MD-11's, there will be one arriving tomorrow around 2pm with the Jacksonville Jaguars onboard. I will be there(obeservation lot at the end of Vultee Blvd.) along with a few others from the Nashville Aviation Photographers group. Come on out if you can, it is going to be a beautiful day to be there!!!

Well, here is what all the commotion was about at the airport today. The Jacksonville Jags came in on their usual World Airways MD-11. This is a once a year visit (unless it is here for the military) for World Airways here at BNA.

original.jpg

Also some news of note, the old control tower is coming down soon. Anyone have any memories of it?

I think the new terminal was finished just before I moved to NSH... and I never saw that little tower until years later. I was wondering when it was built... also is it near where the old terminal was?

It does sit close to the old site. It is actually just a matter of feet away from the footprint of the old terminal. China Airlines, FedEx, and Embraer all occupy the land that was once the old Berry Field Terminal. That current cargo ramp is the original ramp for BNA.

Here you go fellas. From last night.

original.jpg

71772471.MvttE551.aswaramp.jpg

Edited by Lexy

Lexy, it looks like you were in the airport, do you know what they're doing right now in terms of construction?

LOL!! I only rode the elevator from the ground up to the top of the Ramp Control Tower. But I can tell you it's a mess and it's only going to get worse after Christmas. LOL!! They are re-doing things, literally, from the ground up in some places.

original.jpg

ATLBrain, they really have no connection to JAX other than the football team. World has been a contracted carrier of the Jags for years, so the business goes back a while between the two entities. They are actually HQ'ed in your neck of the woods in Peachtree City, GA with their airport base in Oakland, California. World Airways is a 80-90% carrier of military personnel from the middle east, and other places, to their respective bases here in the US and abroad. They hold a BUNCH of US Government contracts for air service. They also have a healthy cargo service as well.

I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but I was eating @ Noshville on Saturday and noticed a placard showing the design for their new location in the airport that is slated to open 2K7/2K8. It will be interesting to see how well it goes.

You all really need to come watch planes with Lexy and friends. When the MD-11 arrived, we had enough scanner radios and cameras to contract with the US government! lol

Oh man, we have a good time out there don't we!!! LOL!! Glad you could make it out with us nash.!

just a little aside to Lexy's earlier question;

I remember going in the control tower as a Boy Scout. I must have been 90-91. I might be a few years off, but it was definately after the new terminal was open. Why is the tower coming down? Will anything replace it A.T.C. wise?

Also, will the tower be imploded? If so, i would like to watch that. Any info on when this might happen?

No, this is the old, old, old Berry Field tower that is on the opposite side of the field. Not the tower off Donelson Pike. That little Berry Field tower will most likely be bulldozed down though FWIW. LOL!!!

Of course, views like this will no longer exsist whence they tear it down. :(

original.jpg

Im looking forward to seeing the progress on the airport when I fly in tonight, how is it going in there anyways?

I don't know what the inside looks like in the concourses reednavy. I am sure C is a mess though. LOL!! I haven't wondered through the terminal, but when we were in the main security room the other night taking a "tour" of it, the inside that I saw in the cameras appeared to be untouched. But as to what part of the airport I was looking at I have no clue.

Edited by Lexy