Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

^ No, but you would think that. They actually beat the old record earlier this year with 9.5 million. The American Airlines hub that was here wasn't a large one. It was on the same scale as St. Louis is today. The largest jet that flew into here was a Boeing 767 which was used for the London flight (which we should have back!!!). Everything else was MD-80's and 727's.

Lexy, do you think there is demand for a flight to London?

I really enjoy flying in/out of BNA. It's easy to get through and not nearly the mad house that we have here. That's why I choose to drive whenever I have to go to Nashville, Chattanooga, Birmingham and Charlotte. Anywhere else, I'll have to fly.

Beyond a shadow of doubt there is. The one we had was actually MAKING MONEY!! LOL!! They only pulled it cause of one, the hub left here and two, they could'nt get enough Business Class seats filled. Other than that, the cargo on that route set records that have yet to be broken for AA. They made money, and I have heard from insiders that American actually formally apologized to both the city and the airport officals for dropping that flight here. They screwed up by dropping Nashville as a hub prematurely and leaving the St. Louis airport as a hub after the TWA merger. Almost anybody at AA will tell you that. AA eff'up and they know it. That is why they still have such a large presence at the airport to this day.

I'll go on record as saying Nashville ranks, in my opinion, as one of the most underserved international destinations in the country. Period. All it takes is a short stroll down Broadway or other downtown streets to see that there is certainly a market of that type to be had out of this airport. you could also throw in St. Louis and Kansas City as the other two most underserved in the country. Question is, who has enough motivation to start the service from here????

Edited by Lexy

AA has a large presence at BNA? I haven't noticed. But then again, I never fly them. However I have been down that concourse a number of times when I've flown SWA to Birmingham and Orlando and other Florida cities. I'd fly SWA more if I could. They're a huge thing for BNA, especially their flights to Florida cities. I'm going to fly them from BNA to Vegas next spring.

I think it's a bit disappointing that Tennessee's congressional delegation has done next to nothing to get the Wright Amendment overturned. Richard Shelby got that done successfully a few years ago for Birmingham. It will expire now in about (how many??? 7-8 years), but in the meantime all those SWA flights will have to go through other cities from BNA. Repealing Wright would have been a really effective way to "stick a finger in AA's eye" after they pulled out of BNA. But I get the sense that Tennessee's senators are absolutely ineffective.

Edited by ATLBrain

I would guess that jetBlue will add flights to Boston if the JFK flights are doing good enough... Boston is often the 2nd city they add. (Besides, that'd give me a good excuse to try them, as Boston University is one of the colleges on my short list.) :)

I honestly don't know much about air travel logistics and financing, but with a direct to NY would the most sensible next route be Boston? It's basically the same flight path from here, minus the lay-over.

I was hoping for Chicago, Orlando, New Orleans, KC, DC, or even something out west!

Any input?

P.S.-- Jonny, what other schools are you considering? Under or Grad?

AA has a large presence at BNA? I haven't noticed. But then again, I never fly them. However I have been down that concourse a number of times when I've flown SWA to Birmingham and Orlando and other Florida cities. I'd fly SWA more if I could. They're a huge thing for BNA, especially their flights to Florida cities. I'm going to fly them from BNA to Vegas next spring.

I think it's a bit disappointing that Tennessee's congressional delegation has done next to nothing to get the Wright Amendment overturned. Richard Shelby got that done successfully a few years ago for Birmingham. It will expire now in about (how many??? 7-8 years), but in the meantime all those SWA flights will have to go through other cities from BNA. Repealing Wright would have been a really effective way to "stick a finger in AA's eye" after they pulled out of BNA. But I get the sense that Tennessee's senators are absolutely ineffective.

It doesn't help that a majority of Congressional members at the time there was an AA hub here were from Memphis and hated Nashville with a deep, deep passion. So going to bat for something that benefits nashville was a no no. Of course, times have changed and now most politicians from there are gone, or removed from office (LOL), and the leaders are mostly from Nashville and its surrounding areas. But, they remain ineffective. Oh well. Repealling the Wright Amendment would be a HUGE thing for Nashville, but that's not in the cards. The airport knows this and that is why they are banking on cargo traffic and possibly a new hub from another airline like Frontier or something. WN can only take you so far, and with their snails pace speed toward international flights....it isn't helping this airport achieve it's maximum potential. WN was a bridge and a revenue maker in the absense of AA. Airport leaders know this and that is why you are seeing things change out there so quickly.

nashvillewill, a flight to Logan would be easy. But I would rather see flights to places like Des Moines, Little Rock, Omaha, Manchester (NH), and others from here. We already have Boston flights and more flights to NYC than you can count daily. I would like to see some PAX generating flights to smaller cities like thsoe above. Get people here, then move them to where they want to go. Similar to a hub, but just a Focus City. Light a fire under WN's butt!! LOL!!! But I would be happy with a B6 (JetBlue) flight to Boston. Honestly, I don't know why they didn't have them to begin with.

Edited by Lexy

I honestly don't know much about air travel logistics and financing, but with a direct to NY would the most sensible next route be Boston? It's basically the same flight path from here, minus the lay-over.

I was hoping for Chicago, Orlando, New Orleans, KC, DC, or even something out west!

Any input?

P.S.-- Jonny, what other schools are you considering? Under or Grad?

I don't know why, but that's been their MO as of late: start flying to JFK, then add Boston. That's what they're in the process of doing at Columbus and Raleigh-Durham. I believe only Delta flies to Boston from Nashville, so they wouldn't face much competition.

As for college... I'm a high school senior, so looking for undergrad. Planning on studying engineering, probably Aerospace, Civil, or Mechanical. I'm currently considering (1st choice to last) Washington University (St. Louis), Boston University, Brown, Columbia, Northwestern, Lehigh, and Rensselaer.

As for college... I'm a high school senior, so looking for undergrad. Planning on studying engineering, probably Aerospace, Civil, or Mechanical. I'm currently considering (1st choice to last) Washington University (St. Louis), Boston University, Brown, Columbia, Northwestern, Lehigh, and Rensselaer.

Well, just my input. I'm know that all of these schools are top-notch(and congrats on admission to any of these fine schools) the only experience I have with any of these is Columbia. I dunno about the Under-Grad program, but the Graduate school is fabulous!! Not to mention living in the city is wonderful! It takes a certain character, but if you like it....you'll love it! Good luck!

More updates on my site fellas. All across the board almost. I am also planning another visit to the China Airlines 747 cockpit for more shots soon. I should get them within the next month or so hopefully.

Here is a sampling of what I have on there for the updates.

67645027.ZjnJsAPO.aswacloseup2.jpg

67641586.r3rNsF0n.afedexpan1.jpg

67643693.aKOuDwXR.anwahangingarm.jpg

Thanks a bunch everyone.

Edited by Lexy

Well, I know it has been "tossed" around at the Frontier Airlines office. I have confirmed that. But overall, it is just a gut feeling I have. Nashville as a city is just getting to big for the airport and at some point, something will have to give here. The trips to Atlanta and Cincy. to catch international flights will start to end IMO. Somebody will have to cash in on the money that is to be made right here.

Nope. But you don't have to have American carriers to go to places across the world. Frontier woudl get you to places in Mexico, US, and Canada for example. But nothing is written in stone though. Airlines like China Airlines or JAL, for expample, could route into here. To get to other places on th globe, doesn't mean that it has to be an "American" carrier getting us there.

LOL! That was the Dallas Cowboys arriving at the airport. Although, they could easily fill up one of these on a NYC or LAX flight from here. They just don't use one on either of those.

757s apparently are the ideal charter plane for professional sports...my brother was saying that several MLB teams and NBA teams use his airline for charters and all use the 757.

757s apparently are the ideal charter plane for professional sports...my brother was saying that several MLB teams and NBA teams use his airline for charters and all use the 757.

It would seems that way at least. Perhaps it's the flexibility to add and remove seats as needed and the added cargo space surely helps out too. The Titans use a Delta 767 for their chartered flights.

The first US Airways flight between Las Vegas and Nashville is tentativly scheduled for arrival here in Nashville at 5:45am in the morning tomorrow on a Airbus A319. This will give us two seperate carriers flying between here and "Sin City". LOL!!!

Lexy

As always thanks for the info. My wife is a frequent user of the Salt Lake direct flight from Delta and can not wait for more 'direct' links to the outside. For her Atlanta is the lower abyss of hell. lol

When I travel, I always try to connect through Atlanta, but that's where I grew up and I'm very familiar with that airport. I can certainly understand why people would hate connecting through there. especially if your flight leave and take off from gates at the end of the terminal. That's a LONG walk!