Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

Apparently in July 2015, the Airport Authority reverted back to autonomous control after years of external oversight. After that happened, leadership commissioned a consultant's report that suggests there are some structural problems in management and strategy: http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2016/01/16/audit-slams-nashville-airport-authority-calls-culture-change/78423792/

So since I don't really know much about how airports are run ... What does this mean? Has the airport NOT been run by the city in the past? What is the difference in the two oversight models?

3 hours ago, dxfret said:

Also of note for BNA, American Airlines will be adding an additional nonstop daily flight to Los Angeles (LAX). That will mean 3 daily nonstop on American Airlines, 2 daily on Southwest and one daily nonstop on Delta Air Lines.  Amazing that the BNA-LAX route is so busy that it supports 6 nonstop flights per day!  

Other west coast cities served nonstop daily from BNA include: San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego and Seattle.

I'd bet Alaska Airlines to PDX isn't too far off!

Commentary:

i will say that BNA is really a nice airport. But when you visit other airports in bigger cities, BNA is "not impressive". DTW  is a great example, of impressive, with the high ceilings and lots of natural light. But BNA is really nice for a city - the size of Nashville.

As others have pointed out, the baggage area was designed to accommodate planes smaller than a Greyhound bus. There will be no flights on 777 or A-380 at BNA and there is no hope of landing an international flight if you can't handle the baggage.

$240 million in upgrades beginning this year - which is great - but nothing to address any hopes of attracting larger planes or international flights. Try again in 10 years

• Like 1

On 1/24/2016 at 11:50 PM, NashRugger said:

I flew in from DFW for this weekend and my god, the baggage claim area is just terrible and is probably the most in need of a rehab part of the entire airport. Stained ceiling tiles, a leak by carousel 2, and just general color scheme and feeling like a basement needs to be addressed pronto.

Agreed - the baggage area is a dilapidated disaster that is not up to the standards of the rest of the airport.  It needs immediate attention.

One factor that makes it even worse than it might otherwise be: the high percentage of our flights operated by Southwest.  Their "no fee" policy for checked bags encourages people to check more luggage, more often, exacerbating the problem at the baggage claim area.  

• Like 1

I agree that the baggage claim area feels cramped and too confined. But other than that feeling, I've never had any trouble collecting bags here, and I fly a lot. I would like to see them somehow make the area bigger too, but I don't see it as a critical failure of the airport.

• Like 2

Definitely a reflection of the original intent of the facility.  It was designed as a hub for a metro that was half the size it is now and with only one F500 HQ. Now as the population nudges 2 million, and with (what?) 5-7 F500 HQs and many other regional offices and no hub anymore. So the mix of O&D vs. Connecting passengers has really flipped around dramatically. Anyone here know if baggage claim is included in the new renovations.

What's really remarkable is how the airport has recovered in twenty years. By the way, the new airport had just been finished when I first started travelling to Nashville, but I didn't use BNA much until my last year in college. I seem to remember that it cost less than the amount stated in the renovations... but I don't know that for sure.  No doubt, that's a reflection of inflation, but also how significantly the operations have grown. I'm sure there are several large markets without a hub, but I really wonder how many have more than 350 daily flights. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to launching service to BOS & FLL via JetBlue on May 5th, plus United mainline to SFO, United is launching mainline service to Newark, their largest eastern seaboard hub May 5th as well. 

Needless to say, May 5th is about the biggest day for new service at the airport on a single date in many years. 

Edited by NashRugger
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Titans101 said:

Business is going really well at BNA bringing a United 747 in a few hours ago. There is one parked at one of the gates flown in from Sanfran earlier today.

Sweet! I've not seen a 747 at BNA since China Airlines stopped doing 747 freighter flights a few years back. You didn't get a picture did you? That'd completely dwarf everything else on the ramp.

Edited by Nathan_in_DC

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting article that mentions a possible new transatlantic flight for our friends to the west! That would be a great win for our state!

Norwegian Air eyes more Boeing Dreamliners for new transatlantic flights

Excerpt: "The airline is eyeing direct transatlantic routes from U.S. cities that do not currently have them, such as Memphis and New Orleans, Kjos said."

Hopefully, they can get that and it will help demonstrate the need for a similar flight from BNA

Yeah I can't imagine that an airline would offer non-stop trans-Atlantic flights from Memphis before Nashville.  It just doesn't make sense.  New Orleans?  Sure.  But Memphis?  That just doesn't make sense.  Or, as nashville_bound said, maybe they know something we don't, that Nashville is already in line to get non-stop service to Europe in the very near future.

Btw, the February passenger totals are out, and they absolutely slaughtered last year's numbers. Something like a 20% increase (and bigger than Jan 2016).

I'll post when I'm off mobile, or if someone else wants to...

We should probably top 12 mil this year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, UTgrad09 said:

Btw, the February passenger totals are out, and they absolutely slaughtered last year's numbers. Something like a 20% increase (and bigger than Jan 2016).

I'll post when I'm off mobile, or if someone else wants to...

We should probably top 12 mil this year.

**Remember, that "slaughter" of last year's numbers is because the airport had over 95% of all flights cancelled one day due to the ice/snow storm Feb. 16. That one event skewed all numbers for the month and year

• Like 1