Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

Isn't Delta now the 2nd largest airline at BNA?  They have already expanded to serve 13 nonstop destinations out of BNA including several that aren't Delta hubs:  Atlanta, Boston, Cancun, Cincinnati, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York-JFK, New York-LGA, Orlando, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, and Seattle.  Delta also has a Sky Club at BNA.  As a former DL employee, I love that DL is expanding at BNA and would love to see them expand more.  But, really, I'm just glad that BNA is attracting more more flights, no matter the airline.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

They have already expanded to serve 13 nonstop destinations out of BNA

Yep, took the direct to/from Cancun last month. How cool is it to leave a cold, gray and drizzly Nashville in early March...and step off the plane 2 hours later into 80's, sunny awesomeness. The return - not as fun. The passport control at BNA was ok, but baggage claim, customs clearance, baggage re-check and baggage re-claim process was sooooo slow, cumbersome and ridiculous. I know it's temporary,  but they gotta figure that out. Took maybe 90 minutes after we landed in BNA to leave the airport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flatrock said:

Yep, took the direct to/from Cancun last month. How cool is it to leave a cold, gray and drizzly Nashville in early March...and step off the plane 2 hours later into 80's, sunny awesomeness. The return - not as fun. The passport control at BNA was ok, but baggage claim, customs clearance, baggage re-check and baggage re-claim process was sooooo slow, cumbersome and ridiculous. I know it's temporary,  but they gotta figure that out. Took maybe 90 minutes after we landed in BNA to leave the airport.

A temporary walkway that will eliminate the baggage re-check and re-claim process will be under construction soon, if it is not already.

• Like 3

Flying Delta for the first time next week. Also the first time I have been in BNA in probably 5 years, so I am "looking forward" to the changes. What are the lines like nowadays? Flight is early afternoon. Got a layover in Detroit for the departing flight, and then ATL when I am coming home. FUN!!!

Edited by bigeasy

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

DET is a great airport.  I know it sounds weird, but if you have time, spend a minute in the tunnel that connects Terminal A with Terminals B & C.  You'll see a pretty fantastic audio/visual show!

Yes!  I actually enjoy layovers at DTW just for this psychedelic walkway.

But to bigeasy's question:  it's been a few months since I flew out of BNA, but it was also on DL and it was also in the early afternoon.  The security line took all of about 10 minutes, maybe even a minute or two less.  It wasn't bad at all.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Yes!  I actually enjoy layovers at DTW just for this psychedelic walkway.

Totally agreed.  I love when the extra money is put into features like that that are totally useless from a functionality standpoint, but enhance the experience SO much more for the public.  

• Like 3

DTW is a nice airport.  Both terminals (Delta and non-Delta terminals) are really nice!  

The problem with our airport?  The Airport Authority.  It's real simple.  They are as unorganized as a box of lego's and NOBODY in this city has the guts to call them out on it. 

• Like 2

On 4/7/2017 at 10:04 PM, AUNash said:

I know nothing of the inside scoop. Is there something in particular that is mismanaged? My only experience with the airport is as a passenger, and my experiences w the airport in that capacity are pretty good.

I would rather not put things out on a public forum.  But trust me, there's a lot of mismanagement over there.  The MNAA likes to think very highly of themselves with little to brag about in the grand scheme of things.  They, unlike our peer cities, are chasing and not leading in the industry.

• Like 1

I arrived and was at my gate within probably 15 minutes on Monday. Detroit airport was nice, much larger than I expected. Had to go about 50 gates between layover.

Sitting at the Cleveland airport right now with a short layover in Atl that I am nervous about. Only 50 min and I have to go to another concourse. Cleveland airport doesn't seem very special but does feel much larger than BNA.

I don't travel much but is BNA a pretty small airport when it comes to facility size and total acreage?

I wish we had Tampa's Southwest air-side terminal.  I've only flown SWA into TPA (many times) so I don't know what the other terminals are like but it is fantastic.  It's basically one huge room with very high ceilings and big windows that let in tons of light.  The art is nice as well...unlike some "art" I've seen.  That's right, I said it. :blink:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rockatansky said:

I used to fly out of Detroit regularly. At the time the airport was kind of a dump. However this was 15+ years ago and it could be much nicer now.

It is much nicer,  started with a huge new three concourse midfield Delta terminal, and then consolidated the smith, davie and Barry terminals all into one large new North Terminal. Probably close to 150 gates all built in the last 10 years or so. The old main Smith terminal is still standing abandon of course. 

As for Nashville, it's been six or seven years since I was there last until this past weekend. The airport is lacking a little bit compared to the boom that's going on in the city. I was pleased to see all the home renovations Throughout the city and how much the downtown core has improved but the airport was meh.   I think low ceilings and lack of natural lighting might have something to do with it. I've always thought of Nashville as a very comparable city to Austin, who's airport is newer but gives a very good first impression. 

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:06 PM, MLBrumby said:

Yes... that $1 billion + expansion/renovation at BNA is not a moment too soon. Were you inconvenienced much by the construction? 

Not sure if you were asking me or not, but I had no problems at all in BNA. I honestly don't even remember seeing any construction haha. I arrived at the airport and was at my gate in what felt like 15 min. My only issue the whole trip was at ATL. I think the waiting in line on the airstrip to take off took longer than the actual flight to Nashville.

• Like 2