Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

• 2 weeks later...

From the Nashville Post:

BNA parking project lands $4.56M permit

The Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority has landed a permit for its parking structure now under construction.

To be called the Parking and Transportation Center, the six-level, 2,000-space facility (a part of which is pictured) is slated to be opened in summer 2018 and is the first element comprising the authority’s approximately $1 billion BNA Vision expansion plan.

The permit is valued at $4.56 million.

Global architecture firm Atkins is designing the building, with the Nashville office of Kansas City-based JE Dunn Construction serving as general contractor.

The parking structure will be located directly south of BNA’s Short Term Garage. The first floor (called a Ground Transportation Center) will be limited to commercial vehicles such as taxis, limos and shuttles and to ride-sharing.

Facility features will include a parking space guidance system, a green-screen vegetation wall, the capacity for 20,000 gallons of rainwater harvesting for landscape irrigation and (on the top level) a 50-kilowatt solar array.

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 4.43.47 PM.png

• Like 4

Went about 5 years without flying, but now I have done it twice of the past few weeks. Maybe I am just more comfortable or familiar with BNA, but I really love how easy it is to navigate. I think they have a great setup as well when it comes to the security. I flew to Midway which is by no means a bad airport, but I have never really liked the security area there. It feels very congested having the ID check and security right next to each other. It felt very unorganized as well. They had one long line till you got close to the ID check and then it just because a free for all.  

• Like 2

BNA is well-covered to the Bay Area. With the announced new flights we will soon have 3 daily nonstops to SFO (2 on United and 1 on Virgin America (Alaska), in addition to the daily nonstop flight to Oakland on Southwest Airlines.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/05/09/taking-flight-nashville-lands-even-more-nonstop.html

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, wboarder44 said:

Southwest just announced this morning direct flights to Milwaukee twice daily starting in November.  They will also start flying to Cancun nonstop in November as well.   

There's one of the last major cities Nashville didn't have direct access to, checked off the list.  Milwaukee is a really great town.  Now, I've got to imagine that Alaska Airlines picks up Portland, OR one of these days, and that'd be the last one, as far as I can think of.  I really can't believe Nashville and Portland aren't connected by air given their many similarities.  

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 11:33 AM, BnaBreaker said:

There's one of the last major cities Nashville didn't have direct access to, checked off the list.  Milwaukee is a really great town.  Now, I've got to imagine that Alaska Airlines picks up Portland, OR one of these days, and that'd be the last one, as far as I can think of.  I really can't believe Nashville and Portland aren't connected by air given their many similarities.  

Is Portland the most desired nonstop that Nashville doesn't have currently? Some other mid-to-major domestic cities that we are lacking (Louisville, Memphis, Birmingham are easy drives and not included): Buffalo, Oklahoma City, Richmond, Albuquerque, Honolulu, Omaha.  All of those, with the exception of Honolulu, are Southwest cities.  None of those are as sexy as PDX, although both Oklahoma City and Richmond would seem to be routes that would support a daily nonstop. 

What moves do others think airlines will make for BNA in the next couple years? More international flights? Places like Punta Cana, Montego Bay, and Puerto Vallarta on Southwest or London or Paris on legacy carriers?  There aren't a whole lot of options for expanding domestic nonstops, so international destinations seem to be a logical next step.

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

If you fly a lot, you also know how much worse than Nashville many airports are. It may feel a bit basic or uninspired, but it is at least clean, well-maintained, and relatively modernized. :)

Until last year I flew quite a bit (mostly out of DCA, which is architecturally interesting and nice). Sure PHL, LGA and EWR stink. But I'd say most of our peer cities have airports that are just as clean and much more architecturally interesting than BNA.