Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

There are a couple of articles at NBJ's web site behind the paywall.  Anyone here have a subscription to this who could share what these articles say?

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/06/28/what-privatizing-bna-could-do-to-nashvilles.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/06/27/experts-why-nashville-should-and-shouldnt.html

14 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

There are a couple of articles at NBJ's web site behind the paywall.  Anyone here have a subscription to this who could share what these articles say?

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/06/28/what-privatizing-bna-could-do-to-nashvilles.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/06/27/experts-why-nashville-should-and-shouldnt.html

The former, implies a private entity would be financially incented to aggressively add new flights such as a direct to London.  

The latter, infers that taking the 'complex' airport off the plate of elected officials' plates would free up their schedules while acknowledging there could be job losses.   Also, the article underscores the point that this is a transaction that represents one time money, and therefor, earmarking the money for mass-transit doesn't make sense when the money may be better spent elsewhere.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, thenorthchannel said:

The former, implies a private entity would be financially incented to aggressively add new flights such as a direct to London.  

The latter, infers that taking the 'complex' airport off the plate of elected officials' plates would free up their schedules while acknowledging there could be job losses.   Also, the article underscores the point that this is a transaction that represents one time money, and therefor, earmarking the money for mass-transit doesn't make sense when the money may be better spent elsewhere.

Earmarking the money for mass transit makes plenty of sense to me.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I recently flew on Frontier and I liked their product. It's spartan, but I knew that going into it. I flew with my wife and three kids to Orlando for a beach vacation and I appreciated the fact that it was a la carte. We paid for what we needed and didn't pay for what was not needed. It was a pretty good cost savings too. We paid $750 round trip inclusive of taxes and fees for 5 people and including preselection of seats and paying for two checked bags. That was half of what it would have been on Southwest, which is what we typically fly.

• Like 4

I have a feeling that when we do finally get a European direct announced, it will be followed by several more pretty quickly. I could see LHR or LGW definitely; maybe a direct with Condor, Norwegian Air, or Icelandair; and a long shot to Paris or AMS on Air France/KLM/Delta. I could definitely see Delta starting a European direct though, the way they've been bullish on BNA. 

• Like 1

I'd definitely say that there is more international demand for a flight to Nashville than there is to Raleigh, Austin, Tampa, Charlotte etc... primarily because the fanbase of country music is definitely *NOT* just confined to The United States and Canada, and all of those fans the world over know that Nashville is the global hub.  

• Like 2

You have to remember though, Austin is a mega tech city and most big California-based companies have large offices there and thus pool in talent and resources from Europe with ease. Raleigh actually subsidizes both European non-stops. New Orleans had int'l flights to more destinations, that was pre-Katrina, but now you have a ton of foreign investment there, in addition to their larger tourism economy. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I'd definitely say that there is more international demand for a flight to Nashville than there is to Raleigh, Austin, Tampa, Charlotte etc... primarily because the fanbase of country music is definitely *NOT* just confined to The United States and Canada, and all of those fans the world over know that Nashville is the global hub.  

But remember, country music is not the only thing drawing travelers to Nashville. Nashville's international banking community, as well as several businesses, is strongly connected to Asian markets, aside from the more obvious connections with Hankook Tires and Nissan. Also, the Ingram companies do a lot of business in British/European markets, and have frequent business travels.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

But remember, country music is not the only thing drawing travelers to Nashville. Nashville's international banking community, as well as several businesses, is strongly connected to Asian markets, aside from the more obvious connections with Hankook Tires and Nissan. Also, the Ingram companies do a lot of business in British/European markets, and have frequent business travels.

Oh without a doubt.  I just meant that Nashville has that extra cultural factor that most of it's peer cities don't that gives it true international recognition and makes it all the more puzzling as to why it doesn't have more international flights.

• Like 2

Until we get at least two gates that can handle the really big jets, as well as an international wing that can process 300+ international passengers at a time, we won't get any significant trans-oceanic flights.  $1+ billion plan to upgrade BNA will address this, but some of these details won't be ready for several years.

• Like 4