Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Yep, same thing if you are travelling to and from LAX. The time from LA can be as little as 2 hours or even less,  when the jet stream is really moving and over 3 hours going to LAX.

While tailwinds do help I'm not sure they help 737's break the sound barrier.

• Like 3

Breaking the sound barrier would require a supersonic aircraft and no commercial supersonic aircraft have flown since the Concorde was retired.  Highly doubtful any aircraft travels BNA-LAX in under 3 hours, certainly not LAX-BNA in 2 hours or less, regardless of jet stream.

Edited by dxfret
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, samsonh said:

While tailwinds do help I'm not sure they help 737's break the sound barrier.

Strong tailwinds can push a plane above the speed of sound in terms of ground speed without breaking the sound barrier (since the sound barrier is a function of airspeed only).  It is entirely possible, and likely common, that commercial airliners can reach a ground speed that is faster than the speed of sound, especially when you consider that the speed of sound at 35,000 feet is all the way down to 660mph (574 knots).  Boeing 737s usually travel at ~500 knots, so it would only take a tailwind of 75 knots at 35,000 feet to push them over the speed of sound at ground level at that altitude.   Of course, they still wouldn't break the "sound barrier" because their airspeed would still be less than the speed of sound. 

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

Strong tailwinds can push a plane above the speed of sound in terms of ground speed without breaking the sound barrier (since the sound barrier is a function of airspeed only).  It is entirely possible, and likely common, that commercial airliners can reach a ground speed that is faster than the speed of sound, especially when you consider that the speed of sound at 35,000 feet is all the way down to 660mph (574 knots).  Boeing 737s usually travel at ~500 knots, so it would only take a tailwind of 75 knots at 35,000 feet to push them over the speed of sound at ground level at that altitude.   Of course, they still wouldn't break the "sound barrier" because their airspeed would still be less than the speed of sound. 

Yes I understand that. But to get from LA to Nashville in under two hours would require quite the tailwind the entire way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NashRugger said:

I'm wondering if/when American will launch service to Phoenix-Sky Harbor (PHX). It's the only hub without service to BNA currently and sort of surprised it isn't even seasonal at most.

United doesn't offer direct service to their LAX hub either, but with 7 flights a day there already they probably don't see an urgent need to add it. The PHX one confuses me though because there are no direct flights with first class service between BNA and what I believe is currently the 5th or 6th largest city in the US. The southwest service there is great but you'd think the business communities would ask for legacy service. Maybe it's something Lexi knows about, as an AA employee. 

On 8/19/2017 at 5:20 PM, Pdt2f said:

what I believe is currently the 5th or 6th largest city

The Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ Metropolitan Statistical Area is the 12th largest in the United States with a population of 4,661,537 in 2016. Source: U.S. Census Bureau 2016 Population Estimates.

Edited by Rockatansky
Grammar.

38 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

The Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ Metropolitan Statistical Area is the 12th largest in the United States with a population of 4,661,537 in 2016. Source: U.S. Census Bureau 2016 Population Estimates.

Wow 12th? I thought it would be bigger. I was thinking primarily of the city itself, but the MSA is a more apt figure to use when talking about the airline industry. 

I flew out of BNA two weeks ago to BWI airport. I am always impressed by how organized the airport is. Maybe I am lucky but I have had zero issues with long waits at security. On another note, I guess I have been flying into larger markets, but I never realized how small our airport was. Over the past few months I have gone to Baltimore, ATL, Detroit, and Cleveland's airports.

I haven't had to get a rental out of BNA, but are they still located right outside the airport? I really hated the drives from the airport to the rental car facilities and Baltimore and Cleveland. So I wasn't sure if that was part of the plan here in the long run to clear up some space.

23 hours ago, bigeasy said:

I haven't had to get a rental out of BNA, but are they still located right outside the airport? I really hated the drives from the airport to the rental car facilities and Baltimore and Cleveland. So I wasn't sure if that was part of the plan here in the long run to clear up some space.

Most airports are moving to consolidated rental car facilities that are located in or nearby the terminal buildings. Nashville just completed theirs in 2011 so it should be here for a while.

If you stop by an airport that doesn't have a CONRAC, be sure to tell them that you know a random stranger on the Internet who will design one for a reasonable fee.

• Like 3

There's a lot of warehouses and office parks in the area they could eventually purchase if needed. If you go to the airport observation area near FedEx/Skywest, it's a lot of surface parking lots and the triumph factory. Years down the road, if a second terminal is needed, I'm sure the city could work out a purchase and move the cargo center elsewhere. But with the current expansion plans it'll be 20+ years. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, wreynol4 said:

Whic concourse is unused?

D. It's a regional aircraft commuter concourse, built during the AA hub days. Part of BNA vision is expanding it into a jetway-style concourse and re-opening it. 

Edited by Pdt2f
  • Like 2

Looking into the numbers....
Given the fairly steady increases over last year's months (~10%), if you are projecting the rest of calendar year 2017, BNA should end up with close to 14.25 million total passengers. Compare that with 9.83 million just 5 years ago. That's an increase of 4.42 million in 5 years, or 45%. That's.......big.

So ... what is driving that growth? Tourism? Business growth? Is there any study to show the growth is sustainable?
  • Like 1