Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

Actually RDU Raleigh Durham has a nonstop flight to Paris and has for years.  It did have help at first but now it is doing good.  Lots of European biotech companies in the Triangle and remember the consolidated Raleigh Durham area has over 2 million people. Sometimes cities have to jump start foreign flights for sure but London is a far bigger hub and source of transatlantic business. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, AUNash said:

So do I read the article correctly to mean that they will use a 747?

That's totally a typo. It'll be a 787-8. BA doesn't fly the 748 (they briefly leased a cargo version), but they have the largest fleet of 747-400s. It's way too big for Nashville, though. 

Every once in a while cargo airlines like Kalitta Air, Volga-Dneiper, or Atlas Air will do one-off stops in Nashville with 747's or An-124's. I'm assuming they have something to do with construction equipment or some other heavy cargo that doesn't require regular service. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Speaking of 747s, I saw one take off out of BNA yesterday morning around 10 and fly directly over downtown. I didn't recognize the tail markings, but it was definitely cargo of some sort. 

Anyone know why it was in town?

I understand it was a 747-400 from Bahrain. 

• Like 1

Think of it as his Air Force One. He has offices, living quarters, room for his staff, etc. I believe the crown prince has military responsibilities, along with governmental ones. The thing that surprises me isn't that he has a 747, but that he has a home in Green Hills! Like American celebrities having homes here I get, but Middle Eastern Royalty?! When are we going to get an Emirates flight?! :rofl:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

He is really good friends with a band that lives in Nashville. Visited them several times and ended up liking Nashville a lot.

NashvilleObserver, you're our new official Urbanplanet Middle Eastern Royalty Liaison, responsible for any and all tidbits of Nashville-centric news involving Gulf royals. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

Today I was walking back to my dorm in London and I saw a Thomas cook holidays store with a sign advertising holidays to "Nashville and the Deep South". For those who aren't familiar, Thomas cook is a holiday company based in Britain and provides package holidays to many destinations across the world. Most of these destinations are served by their airline, Thomas Cook airways, via holiday charter flights (although they are much more reliable). This may mean that Nashville could be a holiday destination on Thomas cook in the near future, although it also could mean otherwise. In any case this is good news for tourism purposes that they are advertising Nashville as a holiday destination. Just a heads up from across the pond :)

Did ParkAve move to London or is Binbin his/her spawn?

10 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

Today I was walking back to my dorm in London and I saw a Thomas cook holidays store with a sign advertising holidays to "Nashville and the Deep South". For those who aren't familiar, Thomas cook is a holiday company based in Britain and provides package holidays to many destinations across the world. Most of these destinations are served by their airline, Thomas Cook airways, via holiday charter flights (although they are much more reliable). This may mean that Nashville could be a holiday destination on Thomas cook in the near future, although it also could mean otherwise. In any case this is good news for tourism purposes that they are advertising Nashville as a holiday destination. Just a heads up from across the pond :)

The term "Deep South" always makes me cringe a little.  I can't help but think of the 1860's when I hear that term. :tw_grimace:

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

The term "Deep South" always makes me cringe a little.  I can't help but think of the 1860's when I hear that term. :tw_grimace:

It also annoys me when they refer to Nashville as the Deep South. Can't tell if Thomas Cook means Nashville -along with- the Deep South, or if they're listing Nashville as part of the Deep South. 

• Like 1