Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

With the British Airways flight to London secured, city leaders are looking at luring Southwest flights to the Caribbean, another European destination, and an Asian destination.  The new international gates and the airport hotel that BNA is adding should go a long way towards those goals.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2017/09/30/1-2-b-airport-renovation-opens-door-more-international-flights-nashville/714690001/

On 9/29/2017 at 11:32 AM, markhollin said:

20 hours ago, NashRugger said:

Looks like a gate or two in A are lost and at least 1 in B for the int'l section. 

Long-term plans still include expanding A & B and you know one of the current airlines are looking hard at D and thinking of using them all to themselves, such as JetBlue or Frontier. 

The above picture sure looks like a bunch of JetBlue planes (not that I'm reading anything into that).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, memphian said:

Now I'm curious about the hotel. I'm predicting Hyatt or something in the Marriott portfolio. Maybe Loews or Omni could do a second property. Who knows? It's all a guess right now.

I'm eager to find out, too.  If I were a betting man my money would be on Hyatt.  There's already several Marriott properties directly across I-40 from the airport.  Or maybe a Hilton.  There used to be a Hilton right next door to the old terminal off Briley Pkwy so it would be kind of fun to have another Hilton at the "new" terminal.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2017 at 6:09 PM, Will said:

I think it's a 787, which is what BA will run on their Nashville route to begin with. Of note, BA upgraded Austin to a 747 recently after 3 years of success on that route.

Definitely a 787; just got off an Air Canada 787-900 in Toronto, it's a beautiful and well appointed aircraft. Still sitting in Pearson, and after flying through BWI, Heathrow, and Gatwick in the last week, I keep seeing how lucky Nashville is to have as well appointed an airport as it does. Even in it's current state BNA is more welcoming than all four of the airports listed above, especially BWI and Gatwick. Transit connections notwithstanding, of course... All the above have rail links, which may not happen for BNA for decades.

14 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

That's something I could get behind. Here is my over-optimistic wish list for the next few years:

-The BA flight leads American to increase service and add PHX to facilitate connections. 

-Southwest adds 3-5 Caribbean and Central American destinations and continues expanding domestic service. 

-Delta adds AMS and expands accordingly. 

-JAL to Tokyo-Haneda/Narita

-JetBlue leases the entire concourse D and makes Nashville a focus city, adding several Central American and Caribbean locations to compete with Southwest. 

A pipedream, yes, but individually I think they're all possible. 

I think the first two are extremely likely, the third a probable if the BA flight is successful, the fourth is not impossible but unlikely for now, and the fifth another nice to have but will require some expansion in the meantime. Don't forget our Virgin Atlantic flight that's on the table!

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 4

On 9/29/2017 at 5:09 PM, Will said:

I think it's a 787, which is what BA will run on their Nashville route to begin with. Of note, BA upgraded Austin to a 747 recently after 3 years of success on that route.

It's definitely a 787 dreamliner.  The easiest way to pick out a 787 is the serrated edge on the rear portion of the engine.  See this photo k64771-03.jpg 

Edited by wboarder44
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, wboarder44 said:

It's definitely a 787 dreamliner.  The easiest way to pick out a 787 is the serrated edge on the rear portion of the engine.  See this photo k64771-03.jpg 

787s aren't the only aircraft to use the chevron design on the rear of the high bypass turbofan cowl, but they're one of the more common applications. The cockpit windscreen and wingtips are what give it away for me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

Why would we be 7 years from the final goal.....ever?

We should be 7 years from our 7 year goal.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced additional expansions before this one is even done. I also wouldn't be surprised, if Nashville keeps up its economic and population growth, if within 20 years they're looking into an additional terminal. 

2 hours ago, NashRugger said:

Oh yeah, and the airport knows there will be a fight for them amongst current and not current airlines. 

Do you think Southwest would try and lease the concourse? I would think they would want to keep someone else from jumping in and grabbing some of their market share. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Oh... so like, 7 years away from the final goal. Aren't we hoping for more international flights like, now?

Well you have to stagger this level of redevelopment/overhaul because of logistical purposes, but paramount is to reduce the amount of inconvenience/hassle to the travelers in and out of BNA. This isn't like building a new terminal like Dallas-Love Field did where they knocked out an entire concourse and expanded it, technically. The biggest inconvenience will come with the centralizing security and the int'l section with new gates since that is literally front & center to it all. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced additional expansions before this one is even done. I also wouldn't be surprised, if Nashville keeps up its economic and population growth, if within 20 years they're looking into an additional terminal. 

Do you think Southwest would try and lease the concourse? I would think they would want to keep someone else from jumping in and grabbing some of their market share. 

This expansion will keep BNA comfortable for some time in the future, unless American reopened full hub status, which is 98% NOT going to happen. 

As for Southwest, they may try, but MNAA has the say so in to who gets the leases for the gates because they, SWA, has a cushion on the # of flights per day versus the # of turns per gate per day that is doable. Southwest has 17.5 gates (splits #15 with Delta) and has 180 flights per day.

As I've said before, the current airlines I'd look at taking D gates are JetBlue, Frontier, & Alaska. Spirit wants in badly but I doubt that'll happen given the competition amongst the current airlines now. JetBlue is looking to grow BNA and would not be shocked if they put some steroids into BNA's arm and ramp it up here. 

BNA is in rare territory amongst airports in terms of significant growth year-over-year and also this level of expansion without building a new terminal. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NashRugger said:

This expansion will keep BNA comfortable for some time in the future, unless American reopened full hub status, which is 98% NOT going to happen. 

As for Southwest, they may try, but MNAA has the say so in to who gets the leases for the gates because they, SWA, has a cushion on the # of flights per day versus the # of turns per gate per day that is doable. Southwest has 17.5 gates (splits #15 with Delta) and has 180 flights per day.

As I've said before, the current airlines I'd look at taking D gates are JetBlue, Frontier, & Alaska. Spirit wants in badly but I doubt that'll happen given the competition amongst the current airlines now. JetBlue is looking to grow BNA and would not be shocked if they put some steroids into BNA's arm and ramp it up here. 

BNA is in rare territory amongst airports in terms of significant growth year-over-year and also this level of expansion without building a new terminal. 

When you say that WN is at 180 flights a day, do you mean arrivals + departures? I thought this summer they were only pushing 100 flights per day. Do you think southwest has sufficient capacity to continue expanding at bna with the gates they currently occupy?

i would love for Alaska or JetBlue to expand. Relatively indifferent about frontier, except as a way of keeping ticket prices lower with other carriers.