Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

Being able to process 400 arrivals an hour is not bad for a temporary solution. I’m guessing that would be dependent on it being fully staffed. I think the 787 carries considerably less passengers (quick look at the less-tha-reliable source, Wikipedia, says 242 - 335) so it should be an okay experience. Besides, if you’ve ever landed at LHR around 6:00 am you know that U.K. Border Patrol is not a pleasant experience at all.

1 hour ago, memphian said:

Being able to process 400 arrivals an hour is not bad for a temporary solution. I’m guessing that would be dependent on it being fully staffed. I think the 787 carries considerably less passengers (quick look at the less-tha-reliable source, Wikipedia, says 242 - 335) so it should be an okay experience. Besides, if you’ve ever landed at LHR around 6:00 am you know that U.K. Border Patrol is not a pleasant experience at all.

BA’s 788 that will service BNA carries 214 passengers. 

I’m assuming that they’ll try and schedule a little overlap between work shifts to add more workers when the 787 lands, since it’ll almost double the capacity of the other aircraft that serve international locations from BNA. 

I was looking at the Wikipedia page for BNA last night and noticed that next to Virgin America's SF flight it says "ends April 24, 2018"... is that accurate?  Is Virgin America already getting out of the market, or was that flight always meant to be seasonal?

19 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I was looking at the Wikipedia page for BNA last night and noticed that next to Virgin America's SF flight it says "ends April 24, 2018"... is that accurate?  Is Virgin America already getting out of the market, or was that flight always meant to be seasonal?

Alaska airlines bought Virgin last year, so the brand will be ending. They’re already in the process of repainting their aircraft. The route will be continuing under the Alaska airlines brand. 

Edited by Pdt2f
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

Just weeks after entering the Nashville market with 5 nonstop destinations out of BNA, Allegiant has added two more:  Syracuse NY and St Pete-Clearwater (Tampa Bay) FL.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/04/03/nashville-gets-two-new-allegiant-air-destinations-st-petersburg-florida-and-syracuse-new-york/481088002/

This makes me think they’re considering BNA as an origin and destination for tourists. I can’t think the Nashville-to-Syracuse tourism crowd is the reason for this. Plus I see a ton of New York plates all over town, and a large amount of those are probably from upstate, so this probably offers a chance for them to return home for cheap. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pdt2f said:

Alaska airlines bought Virgin last year, so the brand will be ending. They’re already in the process of repainting their aircraft. The route will be continuing under the Alaska airlines brand. 

Does this mean the new hotel on Music Row will be called The Alaska Hotel instead of Virgin Hotel? :D

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Does this mean the new hotel on Music Row will be called The Alaska Hotel instead of Virgin Hotel? :D

Hahaha! Branson only owned I believe like 30% of virgin America. I think he owns more of Virgin hotels. Although a decorating shift into bearskins and caribou antlers would be interesting in midtown ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I noticed 8 or 9 Virgin America planes parked near the FedEx cargo area last week. Are they being repainted here?

What you may have seen are Virgin Australia E-190s. Embraer has their international maintenance facility at BNA right next to the FedEx facility so they come in quite frequently, after island hopping around the pacific. If they’re Virgin America airbuses, I have no idea why they’d be here. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

What you may have seen are Virgin Australia E-190s. Embraer has their international maintenance facility at BNA right next to the FedEx facility so they come in quite frequently, after island hopping around the pacific. If they’re Virgin America airbuses, I have no idea why they’d be here. 

That's cool.  Did not know that!

• Like 1

Does BNA just run very efficiently, or maybe they use the space better than other airports? Until the past year I have never really flown that much, but I am amazed at how small our airport is compared to the cities I have flown to. Granted I have flown to some large airports (Atl, Dallas, Detroit, etc), but I wasn't expecting cities like Charlotte/Tampa to have a facility that felt so much bigger than ours. I am just making the assumption that city size correlates to airport size, so maybe that doesn't really work?

1 hour ago, bigeasy said:

Does BNA just run very efficiently, or maybe they use the space better than other airports? Until the past year I have never really flown that much, but I am amazed at how small our airport is compared to the cities I have flown to. Granted I have flown to some large airports (Atl, Dallas, Detroit, etc), but I wasn't expecting cities like Charlotte/Tampa to have a facility that felt so much bigger than ours. I am just making the assumption that city size correlates to airport size, so maybe that doesn't really work?

Charlotte was an enormous US Airways hub and current American Airlines hub, so they’re huge, doing 40,000,000+ passengers per year. Tampa isn’t really a hub (maybe a southwest focus city) but Florida cities near the beaches do really well. There’s somewhat of a correlation between city size and airport size, but it also has to do with tourism, whether the airport is a hub, what types of businesses operate in the city, etc. For instance, Atlanta has the 9th largest metro area in our country, but they have the busiest airport in the world, because they’re Delta’s superhub and have tons of consulting firms and other businesses that fly a lot.