Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

40 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

Yes maybe I am a bit too excited about this, but this is to point out Nashville really does now have an International Airport lol, after years of waiting. I don't believe this will be the last Europe or International Direct flight from Nashville, however it certainly is a huge step in the right direction :)

I would say we've had an international airport for a while (two destinations to Canada and one to Mexico), but now we can say we have an INTERCONTINENTAL airport!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tragenvol said:

Yesterday I noticed a "British Airways" sign up among the carriers at the arrivals section.

It’ll arrive in concourse A and depart from B. Initially I think everyone wanted it to leave from C, considering BA is a codeshare partner with AA so it would make sense to avoid using someone else’s gates (and the long walk to the Admirals club), but the taxiing was going to be too difficult and tight. It’s going to be pretty crammed when 215 people are stuffed into the very end of B, especially if frontier has a flight around the same time. 

Although there really is no timetable for this, I am really hoping Nashville eventually gets an Iceland flight (although apparently the rumor is this is pretty much in the bag already for BNA) and eventually a flight to Frankfurt on Condor seasonally. I am hoping for these things to happen within the next two years at BNA, and honestly Condor seems very likely to me as it is a leisure airline that tends to break into markets not attended by other leisure airlines or competition (aka Austin, New Orleans, Portland etc...). I really feel like Nashville would be right up their alley because the city is a leisure destination in and of itself, and also can sort of act like a gateway to other areas of the south not accessible directly from overseas (like the great smoky mountains, Memphis, Mid-South etc...). Fingers crossed and sorry for the musing.

• Like 2

I landed my jet at CVG (Cincinnati) today (I was the captain). For approximately the last 40 miles of the flight we were on an Approach Control frequency. After our initial call to Approach, we didn't here another radio transmission on that frequency for about four minutes, during which, at a speed of four miles per minute we have covered 16 of the 40 mile distance. We asked the controller if he was still there thinking that we may have lost a comm radio. He said, "Yes." "Are we the only flight you're working?" I asked. "Yep, you're the last one for awhile," he responded. 

This is highly unusual for an airport the size of CVG.

After we landed, I learned from some Delta Private Jet employees that the airport has indeed downsized. The old Comair terminal was torn down last year to make room for aircraft overnight parking leaving CVG with only two airline terminals that have a total of 50 gates. Since Delta has reduced CVG from a Hub to a "Focus City" they the number of daily Delta flights has fallen from 600 to 100, and CVG served nearly 8 million passengers in calendar 2017 (Nashville served 13.5 million in its last fiscal year). I was surprised that Nashville's passenger traffic was so much greater than CVG's given that Cincinnati  claims to have the largest number of Fortune 500 employees of any city on a per capita basis.

Cincy also claims to have the most cargo traffic of any American airport. The large DHL ramp on the south side of the field has been expanded to accommodate Amazon's Prime Air. I counted at least 16 Prime Air Airbuses on the ramp. I think Prime Air will rival Fedex and UPS in size some day.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, fxvol said:

I landed my jet at CVG (Cincinnati) today (I was the captain). For approximately the last 40 miles of the flight we were on an Approach Control frequency. After our initial call to Approach, we didn't here another radio transmission on that frequency for about four minutes, during which, at a speed of four miles per minute we have covered 16 of the 40 mile distance. We asked the controller if he was still there thinking that we may have lost a comm radio. He said, "Yes." "Are we the only flight you're working?" I asked. "Yep, you're the last one for awhile," he responded. 

This is highly unusual for an airport the size of CVG.

After we landed, I learned from some Delta Private Jet employees that the airport has indeed downsized. The old Comair terminal was torn down last year to make room for aircraft overnight parking leaving CVG with only two airline terminals that have a total of 50 gates. Since Delta has reduced CVG from a Hub to a "Focus City" they the number of daily Delta flights has fallen from 600 to 100, and CVG served nearly 8 million passengers in calendar 2017 (Nashville served 13.5 million in its last fiscal year). I was surprised that Nashville's passenger traffic was so much greater than CVG's given that Cincinnati  claims to have the largest number of Fortune 500 employees of any city on a per capita basis.

Cincy also claims to have the most cargo traffic of any American airport. The large DHL ramp on the south side of the field has been expanded to accommodate Amazon's Prime Air. I counted at least 16 Prime Air Airbuses on the ramp. I think Prime Air will rival Fedex and UPS in size some day.

I’m positive you know better, but I thought Prime flew 767’s exclusively? What model of airbus are they flying? 

10 hours ago, fxvol said:

CVG is nowhere near having the most cargo traffic of any American airport.  That honor squarely belongs to Memphis.

airport - 2016 metric tons of cargo (millions)

1. Memphis - 4.32
  2. Anchorage - 2.53
  3. Louisville - 2.44
  4. Miami - 2.01
  5. LAX - 2.0
  6. Chicago ORD - 1,53
  7. JFK - 1.28
  8. Indianapolis - 1.07
  9. DFW - 0.75
  10. Cincinnati - 0.74

https://www.aci-na.org/content/airport-traffic-reports

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

CVG is nowhere near having the most cargo traffic of any American airport.  That honor squarely belongs to Memphis.

1. Memphis - 4.32
  2. Anchorage - 2.53
  3. Louisville - 2.44
  4. Miami - 2.01
  5. LAX - 2.0
  6. Chicago ORD - 1,53
  7. JFK - 1.28
  8. Indianapolis - 1.07
  9. DFW - 0.75
  10. Cincinnati - 0.74

If I’m not mistaken MEM is number 2 in the world, after I believe Hong Kong. Kind of amazing that we have the world’s busiest passenger airport and the world’s second busiest cargo airport within a 3-4 hour drive. 

No, I don't know better. Since I fly business jets, I can identify them 95% of the time just from their silhouette. I'm not very good with the airliners; I don't pay attention to them. But, you are right! They were triple sevens!  I have a clear mental image of two of them taxiing on Mike and, yes, there are triple sevens, or a 77 as my buddy who drives them for Delta calls it. It was a brain fart on my part (happens daily). I was told they plan to operate up to 100 of them, but the guy didn't give me a time frame.

29 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

1. Memphis - 4.32
  2. Anchorage - 2.53
  3. Louisville - 2.44
  4. Miami - 2.01
  5. LAX - 2.0
  6. Chicago ORD - 1,53
  7. JFK - 1.28
  8. Indianapolis - 1.07
  9. DFW - 0.75
  10. Cincinnati - 0.74

Thank you tuna!!! His claim about being the #1 cargo airport didn't ring true with me. Next time I see him I will slay him with the truth! When he said that, I thought MEM was wearing that crown, but I didn't want it to appear I was in a pi$$ing contest with him, so I let it go.