Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

First, I'll admit to being a bit whiny in this post. I used the new Uber/Lyft area in the new short term garage Sunday evening. IMO - It is a schlep to get there, especially if you are hauling multiple bags, kids, strollers etc. Not an unreasonable trek, just annoying.

The signage leading you there works, although why they can't actually use the terms "Uber/Lyft" is lost on me.  "Ride Share App" can be nebulous to some, and the repeated "Ground Transportation" signs are very broad. The phrase "are you sure you know where we're going" was repeatedly heard. Having said all that, the space is large and should work well although reaching it and realizing you still have a bit of a walk to the pick up zones was irksome. 

We requested our ride half way from the terminal to the new garage and it was there within 3-4 minutes. Fairly quick, no complaint. Advice - don't order your ride as you walk off the plane. There were several Uber/Lyfts waiting for their riders clogging up things. 

I see a certain irony that at a time when parking revenue is down for airports as people shift to Uber/Lyft, the airport is making things worse for those parking, rather than easier. I know it's short term and better parking will follow, but still....

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I used the new Uber/Lyft area in the new short term garage Sunday evening. IMO - It is a schlep to get there, especially if you are hauling multiple bags, kids, strollers etc. Not an unreasonable trek, just annoying.

The signage leading you there works, although why they can't actually use the terms "Uber/Lyft" is lost on me.  "Ride Share App" can be nebulous to some, and the repeated "Ground Transportation" signs are very broad. The phrase "are you sure you know where we're going" was repeatedly heard. Having said all that, the space is large and should work well although reaching it and realizing you still have a bit of a walk to the pick up zones was irksome. 

Agreed.  I was using a hotel shuttle service, and it wasn't a quick jaunt over there.  Wayfinding wasn't the most helpful either.

My experience when I drove Uber for a few months back in 2016 was that the airport absolutely HATES dealing with ride share drivers and treated us like we were a plague upon the airport.  The thought that we were providing a much-needed service to their customers didn't seem to matter.  It was amazing how often we'd get a notice from Uber that "now the airport says only 2 cars can park in the pick up lane at a time...the rest have to drive back around or wait in the cell waiting area"...or "now the airport says we only get 10 spots at the waiting area on Donelson Pike"...etc, etc.  I don't know if they've finally wised up and now see Uber/Lyft as a plus instead of a minus.

Just arrived back in Nashville and took Uber for the first time from its new assigned pickup station. For a newly moved service, I found the signage to be adequate, although some of the signs were rather small sandwich board style (and perhaps easily overlooked). As mentioned previously, the larger signs just state the generic “ground transportation.”  It’s a short hike, but reasonable in length compared to other airports. Overall I think it’s a vast improvement from the old spot, based on this one experience on a “not so busy” night.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I see a certain irony that at a time when parking revenue is down for airports as people shift to Uber/Lyft, the airport is making things worse for those parking, rather than easier. I know it's short term and better parking will follow, but still....

No sir, this is the new permanent transportation center. Also, it should be noted that the ride share pickup area is the largest area in the transportation center and is over twice the size of the taxi pickup areaIMG_20181220_130319.jpg.7110e1390540c2651b0f1f40a075503c.jpg

But I definitely agree with you about the longer walk to get there. We're gonna miss the short walk we had for so many years. It should get better when the new Terminal B garage and hotel is completed, but that may be 2023

• Like 1

I understand that this is the permanent location for these services. I understand that the airport folks loath ride share. I do think there will be many complaints from the convention/hotel folks on the location of their pick up areas. Everyone enters this vast space from the upper most left corner of the posted plan. A 1000 AARP age conventioneers aren't going to like the trek to their hotel/charter buses. 

What I was trying to say about the short term aspect is that I have a coworker who routinely parked in short term for her numerous single overnight business trips, because it was convenient. She mentioned, with this change, she may switch to Uber, which she uses for longer trips. I don't know if I'd use the new garage to pick up my aunt, with bad knees, when she visits. I used to walk her to the edge of the short term area and then get my car. I might just pick her up curb side, and not park, instead. (yes, that sounds bad)

I just wonder if this temporary loss of "convenient" short term parking, could permanently change a good number of folks parking habits.

Edited by Nash_12South

Maybe the airport will consider motorized sidewalks for the permanent sidewalk solution to the extra distance. That would help with wayward children, tired legs, and those with difficulties. 

3 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

Maybe the airport will consider motorized sidewalks for the permanent sidewalk solution to the extra distance. That would help with wayward children, tired legs, and those with difficulties. 

Didn't the middle section of the old garage have "moving" walks?  For some reason I think I used it a few times when I had my own car there. 

4 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Didn't the middle section of the old garage have "moving" walks?  For some reason I think I used it a few times when I had my own car there. 

That is correct. The only moving walkways at BNA were the one in the short term garage (2 sections) and one on concourse A, which was removed last year for the interim international arrivals building

I think there should be moving walkways (travelators) throughout the airport

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Binbin98 said:

Apparently tomorrow at 10 a.m. there will be yet another air service announcement for three domestic destinations. Personally I am hoping for Sacramento, Portland and Hartford to be the new Destinations, although Spirit Airlines would be cool as well.

I think Sacramento and John Wayne (Orange County) are the only remaining major California airports without nonstop service to BNA.  I'd rather have a nonstop to John Wayne as I'd rather have another option into Los Angeles other than LAX and Burbank, but I'd be happy with either one.  I'd also like to see a nonstop to Portland.  Didn't Southwest have a nonstop to Hartford a long time ago from BNA?  Or maybe I'm thinking of Manchester NH.

• Like 1