Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Image result for confusion gif

I get that people are overly nostalgic, but the amount of money that is necessary to maintain and clean carpet compared to tile makes this decision easy. Rather than having a petition to keep the carpet in place, why not ask that the carpet be refurbished into acoustical treatments that could be mounted on the walls or suspended from the ceiling. It's freaking carpet!!!

Also, that one broadcaster just cant keep it together. Broadcasters are supposed to be neutral aren't they lol.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

There's an online petition to keep BNA from replacing that 90s-era carpet with tile.  

90's?     I don't think the carpet is that old, is it?  

While I get that it's become a thing, like Wings and I Believe,  I'm not inclined to sign the petition.      Bags roll easier on tile.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

I get that people are overly nostalgic, but the amount of money that is necessary to maintain and clean carpet compared to tile makes this decision easy.

I'm a sucker for nostalgia, but in this case: Rip that filthy, stained, worn, tacky carpet off the floor, cut it into 15.1k pieces, and give the pieces to the 15.1k followers of the "BNA Carpet" Instagram page. They can have it. I'd take bare concrete over that carpet.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

While I get that it's become a thing, like Wings and I Believe,  I'm not inclined to sign the petition.      Bags roll easier on tile.  

I agree that the carpet is not that old!

It replaced tile in the airport, and roller bags are easier to roll-and much QUIETER-on carpet!

Keep the carpet (I don’t care whether it trends on Twitter & Instagram or not).

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

It replaced tile in the airport, and roller bags are easier to roll-and much QUIETER-on carpet!

Agreed.  To me, the carpet is what makes BNA feel 'homey' and not like the noisy, cavernous echo chamber of many tiled airports.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

Yeah sorry, I meant the style looks like the 90s.  The  BNA carpet looks like it was made from the same material as the throw pillows I bought from Pier 1 when I was furnishing my very first apartment in Atlanta in the 90s.

1 hour ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Keep the carpet (I don’t care whether it trends on Twitter & Instagram or not).

51 minutes ago, ruraljuror said:

Agreed.  To me, the carpet is what makes BNA feel 'homey' and not like the noisy, cavernous echo chamber of many tiled airports.  

Exactly.  

• Haha 1

I understand the homey factor, but we are looking at expanding our airport to be a true international presence. Carpet tends to date pretty easy, coupled with the cleaning and durability tile if the more economical route. The harsh part about tile is the sound, which is why I recommended using the carpet for acoustical treatments so the sound is tempered, the carpet remains in the airport and the airport is being sustainable by recycling materials. Win, win, win!

4 hours ago, titanhog said:

I was at the airport at midnight last night to pick up a friend.  First of all...that place was still rockin' with traffic backed up and flights coming in.  I remember not too long ago when this place would be dead at midnight.

the ingress/egress at our airport is a serious issue. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

At first glance, I thought this was going to be an update about how crowded the check-ins are at BNA and nearly s*** a brick. I'm on the way there. 

The carpet, however much it's currently 'trending', really needs to go. Maybe keep a small area of the original for nostalgia's sake, if it's really that important. But to me, keeping this carpet is akin to keeping a dingy one-story brick building smack-dab in the middle of downtown just because it used to be a cool place to go.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

But to me, keeping this carpet is akin to keeping a dingy one-story brick building smack-dab in the middle of downtown just because it used to be a cool place to go.

Except it was never really a cool place to go and only finds its popularity because of a certain generation's obsession with ironic attachments to unremarkable minutiae for the sake of appearing quirky and interesting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NashvilleObserver said:

The carpet, however much it's currently 'trending', really needs to go. Maybe keep a small area of the original for nostalgia's sake, if it's really that important. But to me, keeping this carpet is akin to keeping a dingy one-story brick building smack-dab in the middle of downtown just because it used to be a cool place to go.

Perhaps BNA could auction it off in square foot pieces much like UT did in the '90s when they replaced the artificial turf in the end zones.  Every UT fan in the country got a framed square of orange and/or white that Christmas.  Now, every Carpet Fan can have a piece of history in their home!

There has been a plan, all along, to do an art project or mural with the BNA carpet. No renderings or details have been finalized

9 hours ago, nashvylle said:

the ingress/egress at our airport is a serious issue. 

This was discussed a month ago and I never had time to reply. The departure area currently has 4 entrances that will be expanded to 6, when BNA Vision is complete. The new entrances will come online with the terminal "wings" that is currently under construction. The existing entrances will be individually closed during different phases of construction on the new lobby. Additionally, there will be new access to the terminal via the overhead walkway from the terminal garage, when complete

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, LA_TN said:

This was discussed a month ago and I never had time to reply. The departure area currently has 4 entrances that will be expanded to 6, when BNA Vision is complete. The new entrances will come online with the terminal "wings" that is currently under construction. The existing entrances will be individually closed during different phases of construction on the new lobby. Additionally, there will be new access to the terminal via the overhead walkway from the terminal garage, when complete

Thanks. In your opinion, will these new entrances be enough? 

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Thanks. In your opinion, will these new entrances be enough? 

Yes. The overhead walkway will eliminate the biggest design flaw that existed where all the terminal garage travelers had to walk across the road, thus making traffic a nightmare

• Like 1