Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

@dxfret, I heard this earlier today, so good to see it in print! But I think this is more about adding capacity vs flights. But hopefully we can get more frequently and places like Sea-Tac, etc.

@Sean blackdog, good news to hear! Indeed. The BA flight will be a 787-8 5x during winter and return to 787-9 daily next summer

3 big announcements (including NK - Spirit) today

Edited by LA_TN
Add additional info
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Hmmmm... Delta wants to be the dominant carrier in all (incl. Nashville) those cities. 

So will SWA pick up the gauntlet and hub BNA? Perhaps another western-focused airline?  We can only wonder at this time. 

It’ll be hard for them to do in Boston. JetBlue seems content as an airline to just sit around doing very little beyond dominating BOS. It’ll be tough for any legacy to unseat them there. 

WN isn’t done with BNA by a long shot. The battling between WN and DL at BNA the last few years is definitely ongoing and is wonderful for those of us who fly on our own dime - more nonstop destinations at a lower price! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LA_TN said:

@dxfret, I heard this earlier today, so good to see it in print! But I think this is more about adding capacity vs flights. But hopefully we can get more frequently and places like Sea-Tac, etc.

@Sean blackdog, good news to hear! Indeed. The BA flight will be a 787-8 5x during winter and return to 787-9 daily next summer

3 big announcements (including NK - Spirit) today

BA 787-8 in winter?  :shades:

F1188691-8924-4D57-9F55-EEBF2A4A50EF.jpeg

Edited by Sean blackdog
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Hmmmm... Delta wants to be the dominant carrier in all (incl. Nashville) those cities. 

So will SWA pick up the gauntlet and hub BNA? Perhaps another western-focused airline?  We can only wonder at this time. 

The most Southwest could do is make BNA a crew base. They don't necessarily have "hubs" because that's what "focus cities" are for them. It's obvious what their "hubs" are: MDW, DEN, BWI, DAL, PHX, LAS, MCO, OAK, & LAX. I do not include ATL as that was inheritance via AirTran and also slowly they've been losing flights there as they shift things around, some to BNA and then others just losses in frequency.

• Like 2

Spirit is going to provide some nice price competition for Southwest to some key markets.  I've noticed lately that many times Southwest is now the most expensive airline to fly on out of BNA by a decent amount of money.  However, they get away with it because of the plethora of nonstop options they provide from BNA.  I think most people are willing to pay a price premium to avoid having to connect somewhere.  I know I am.  However, if Spirit (or Alaska, Allegiant, Sun Country, or US3) offer a nonstop flight between the two destinations then Southwest has to at least be cognizant of price. 

Moving forward, I'm hopeful Southwest continues to add smaller markets to BNA's nonstop offerings as well as beef up some of the less than daily service there is currently.  It would be great for Nashville tourism and businesses to have nonstop connections to places like Omaha, Grand Rapids, Albany, Albuquerque, and Little Rock.  Of course, much of the traffic originating from those cities would be connecting passengers through BNA, so it would also support increased service other cities throughout the Southwest network and potentially some Caribbean connections. 

I'm also interested in the Delta "focus city" idea.  To me, being a focus city would mandate some flights to non-hubs and international routes.  This may be a signal that they are definitely looking at adding a CDG or AMS flight in the future, but it may also indicate a willingness to add point to point flights which would be beneficial.  

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

We need a good low cost carrier price war here. That will shake up the market a little. SW has had the market for so long I think they are a little spoiled.

When competition happens, everyone wins. Passengers can get lower fares and another option, and the airlines will also be more aggressive.

• Like 1