Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

I think thats what it is too. When they do huge concrete pours like they have to do at the airports, its easier to mix and pour on site than it is to bring it in by truck.

I think the concrete depth can be up to 4 feet thick depending on the size of the aircraft landing. I also think they have to put special agrigate for those pours too. Maybe even special chemicals for fast setting. There is a lot of science that goes into that. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think the concrete depth can be up to 4 feet thick depending on the size of the aircraft landing. I also think they have to put special agrigate for those pours too. Maybe even special chemicals for fast setting. There is a lot of science that goes into that. 

The total depth is four feet, including the base. The actual concrete is usually 12 to 18 inches thick.

• Like 2

2L needs to be expanded - because that has been the plan since, forever. More info for geeks here:

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KBNA

https://skyvector.com/airport/BNA/Nashville-International-Airport

Additional info on the parcels (12 critical). A couple of these homes have pools, I think all 18 properties are currently occupied

1439247406_Screenshot_20190821-233840_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.c04a8a35edf136616437586c169f9439.jpg

1622674382_Screenshot_20190821-233439_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.1a2970117b6b01726615752b94a832dd.jpg

Edited by LA_TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I'm confused by the diagram, especially the placement of McGavock Pike, which is not the name of the street being displaced by the extension. 

You're right.  It's not McGavock Pike.  It's Knight Valley Dr.  Here's a google map clip of the area, which might make it clearer to people in understanding the location of the proposed extension.

image.thumb.png.80df01b8f84c64e1a64913e7a508b8c3.png  image.thumb.png.d21eb9a22f5cc0115e6beb10f2a8b383.png

So, I'm assuming that the Genesco building will not be too close to the runway or the taxiway?  It also looks like Monell's would have to be torn down.  Clearly the Johnston & Murphy outlet store would have to go.  Does Genesco use the remaining portion of the building to do anything? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

You're right.  It's not McGavock Pike.  It's Knight Valley Dr.  Here's a google map clip of the area, which might make it clearer to people in understanding the location of the proposed extension.

image.thumb.png.80df01b8f84c64e1a64913e7a508b8c3.png  image.thumb.png.d21eb9a22f5cc0115e6beb10f2a8b383.png

So, I'm assuming that the Genesco building will not be too close to the runway or the taxiway?  It also looks like Monell's would have to be torn down.  Clearly the Johnston & Murphy outlet store would have to go.  Does Genesco use the remaining portion of the building to do anything? 

The Genesco building will come down and it was bought by the airport authority in 1970. Also the Monell's building is owned by the airport authority and would come down as well. The AA also owns all the way over to the Arlington Chapel Meth. Church on the north side. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I'm confused by the diagram, especially the placement of McGavock Pike, which is not the name of the street being displaced by the extension. 

McGavock Pike was recently renamed Knight Valley Dr.

10 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

The Genesco (tall) building will remain. The one story building behind it will be trimmed. This affects space used by metro and the outlet store. No word, at this time, if the outlet store will remain on site or future plans. The challenge will be to build a new entrance, for the Genesco property, to Murfreesboro Rd. This will be greatly complicated by the Murfreesboro Rd tunnel extension

**The one story portion is used by metro (including sheriff office and MNPD) and Genesco

Interestingly, I do not recall hearing about the fate of Monell's. I don't think it HAS to go, but probably will. As @smeagolsfreementioned, the airport authority owns it, so all they have to do is just not renew the lease, and done

The new USPS facility is not affected by the runway extension

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

McGavock Pike was recently renamed Knight Valley Dr.

The Genesco (tall) building will remain. The one story building behind it will be trimmed. This affects space used by metro and the outlet store. No word, at this time, if the outlet store will remain on site or future plans. The challenge will be to build a new entrance, for the Genesco property, to Murfreesboro Rd. This will be greatly complicated by the Murfreesboro Rd tunnel extension

**The one story portion is used by metro (including sheriff office and MNPD) and Genesco

Interestingly, I do not recall hearing about the fate of Monell's. I don't think it HAS to go, but probably will. As @smeagolsfreementioned, the airport authority owns it, so all they have to do is just not renew the lease, and done

The new USPS facility is not affected by the runway extension

For metro at that location there is MNPD, DCSO, Fleet (where metro vehicles get worked on, and includes garages and that entire parking lot you see on the bottom of the Johnson-Murphy outlet), Human Resources, general services, and the election commission, among some other smaller offices like Ebid. The Johnson and Murphy outlet actually is a tiny part of that complex, and I don’t think Metro is going to want to move at all. 

• Like 2

On 8/22/2019 at 8:37 PM, jmtunafish said:

"Today it’s Nashville to London, tomorrow, Tokyo, Paris or Beijing."  --My favorite line from the article.

I think BNA will/should land another flight to Europe before any of those other flights come into fruition. Also from experience flying into BNA from Heathrow, the customs area in Nashville is really still too small to even handle the British Airways flight in my opinion, and the police officers in there are really mean as well to everyone coming through. Also the BA plane was so big that it had to be pushed sideways or something to even fit at the gate, and even then it’s tail was sticking out into the other international gate spaces. I know this is temporary but I struggle to see how any more large body flights fit into that small space before BNA vision part 1 is done, the demand is there for more Europe flights (my flight was ~97% full in may) but the infrastructure currently is not by any means.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1