Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

37 minutes ago, wboarder44 said:

Isn't this the new ticketing and baggage expansion towards concourse A ("North Terminal Wing Expansion")?  I haven't been to the airport in 6 weeks or so though.  

That is correct. The new international terminal will be built out toward the airfield from the current hallway the connects C, and A/B after you clear security. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, downtownresident said:

January numbers out:

https://www.flynashville.com/about/Airport Data//012020AviationStat.pdf

1,331,575, up 13% y-o-y. Too bad COVID-19 has destroyed the aviation and tourism industries. 

But it’s disrupted for every market.    More so after last night for routes impacted by the EU restrictions.   

This year is going to have a big asterisk beside it. Even once the coronavirus pandemic is over, which may not be for several months, there’s going to be lagging air travel that will months since people aren’t going to just start traveling immediately. 

I really wish I could go into the airport and see what it looks like half empty, and I haven’t been on an airplane that wasn’t at least 90% full in ages.  It’s got to be surreal. 

• Like 1

This is really strange but since the US Europe temporary travel ban went into effect, Peer cities with flights to Europe like Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Raleigh all will have no connection to Europe for the time being (since their connections are through Paris) and Nashville will still have a direct connection since this airport’s is through London. That is unless the ban later on goes to include the UK which it presently does not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

This year is going to have a big asterisk beside it. Even once the coronavirus pandemic is over, which may not be for several months, there’s going to be lagging air travel that will months since people aren’t going to just start traveling immediately. 

I really wish I could go into the airport and see what it looks like half empty, and I haven’t been on an airplane that wasn’t at least 90% full in ages.  It’s got to be surreal. 

I just traveled to the northeast and back (M thru TH) with stops in Philly, Harrisburg, and Charlotte.  Every airport, including BNA, was packed, as were all 4 flights I was on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is really strange but since the US Europe temporary travel ban went into effect, Peer cities with flights to Europe like Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Raleigh all will have no connection to Europe for the time being (since their connections are through Paris) and Nashville will still have a direct connection since this airport’s is through London. That is unless the ban later on goes to include the UK which it presently does not.

Raleigh still has American through Heathrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

I just traveled to the northeast and back (M thru TH) with stops in Philly, Harrisburg, and Charlotte.  Every airport, including BNA, was packed, as were all 4 flights I was on.

With the airlines scaling back substantially on flights, the remaining flights will likely be more crowded. 

Update from BNA Facebook. 

Due to the uncertainty regarding the continued trajectory of COVID-19, we made the difficult decision to cancel this year’s BNA 5K on the Runway. Unfortunately, we will not be able to reschedule 

Also, Runway 2R/20L will close for construction on May 4, 2020, for an 18-month reconstruction project. It is the only viable runway at BNA to hold a public race on.

Registration is now closed. If you already registered, an email was sent with instructions on registration funds, including the option for a virtual run.

We appreciate your understanding. Be safe and stay healthy.

Edited by Sean blackdog
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2020 at 5:49 PM, Sean blackdog said:

Update from BNA Facebook. 

Due to the uncertainty regarding the continued trajectory of COVID-19, we made the difficult decision to cancel this year’s BNA 5K on the Runway. Unfortunately, we will not be able to reschedule 

Also, Runway 2R/20L will close for construction on May 4, 2020, for an 18-month reconstruction project. It is the only viable runway at BNA to hold a public race on.

Registration is now closed. If you already registered, an email was sent with instructions on registration funds, including the option for a virtual run.

We appreciate your understanding. Be safe and stay healthy.

My son and I signed up for this run since one of the charities benefitting from this was Monroe Harding.  I was REALLY looking forward to running on the runway!  Another victim of the virus.

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

I heard today there were less than 100k flights today nationwide, compared to approximately 2.1 million this same day last year. A 95% drop in service...

It's really weird... I live right under one of O'hare's flight paths, so the sound of jets overhead is more or less just constant background noise I had essentially just learned to tune out.  But the other day I realized that I noticed each and every plane now, just because they have become such a rarity.  One of the many unexpected side effects of this pandemic for sure.

• Like 1

I live right by RDU.  Usually we have a loud jet every five minutes it seems.   Now they're so infrequent that you notice the several per hour than come through. 

I'll be really glad when America is back to 'open for business'. I think the economy is going to go nuts. Trying to look at this optimistically. The pent up demand should be there. 

Edited by rolly
  • Like 3

On 4/9/2020 at 4:14 AM, BnaBreaker said:

It's really weird... I live right under one of O'hare's flight paths, so the sound of jets overhead is more or less just constant background noise I had essentially just learned to tune out.  But the other day I realized that I noticed each and every plane now, just because they have become such a rarity.  One of the many unexpected side effects of this pandemic for sure.

We live about an hour and a half north of Heathrow, and an hour north of Luton, but directly under one of the approaches. This time a month ago you'd go outside and hear aircraft at moderate altitude almost constantly. Now you can sit outside all day and count the number on one hand. It's eerie.

• Like 2