Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

4 hours ago, Nathan_in_the_UK said:

I just can't stop thinking about how much of an impact a direct light rail link with downtown would have. Maybe new hotels wouldn't have a need to accommodate so much parking if people didn't have to feel like they either need to pay exorbitant taxi fares, deal with a (perceived-to-be) unreliable and infrequent bus, or rent a car!

Yes lightrail connecting BNA to downtown would be geared towards tourists and not residents, but it would clear up a lot of traffic for residents... 

30 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Yes lightrail connecting BNA to downtown would be geared towards tourists and not residents, but it would clear up a lot of traffic for residents... 

If it was just a single line into downtown then yeah, it probably would be primarily used by tourists.  But if that line eventually connected to a larger network that spread throughout the city, then it would probably fairly extensively by residents as well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

If it was just a single line into downtown then yeah, it probably would be primarily used by tourists.  But if that line eventually connected to a larger network that spread throughout the city, then it would probably fairly extensively by residents as well.

I was more talking about just the "first leg", but yes agree with your point. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Just remember if the resolution that is up for a vote limiting tax increases and capital spending is passed, Nashville will never get mass transit of anykind. 

Blame Cooper if this happens as it's his ridiculous headline making 36% increase that caused all of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know very little about airport traffic management, but I've always been curious as to why the former sinkhole/drainage pond (now filled in) was not done sooner. Did it actually help to have the planes being forced closer to the buildings?  Or maybe just not feasible (IDKW) before all the earth was moved in this expansion? Which brings me to the question I have now. Why hasn't that whole area been paved over?  Or will it be after the expansion is completed? And it appears to be asphalt, whereas concrete is typically used in order to support the weight of the planes. I can see it now looks like a lay out area with direct access to the international gates construction zone. 

I agree that the sinkhole/drainage area should have been fill-in years ago. I recall reading that the now filled-in area has to allow some time to pass for the earth to settle.  Concrete should be then added. In the meantime it helps to have a staging area for the central terminal construction now underway. 

• Like 2

On 9/3/2020 at 4:02 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Just remember if the resolution that is up for a vote limiting tax increases and capital spending is passed, Nashville will never get mass transit of anykind. 

Unless it is privately funded...  Remember that the Nashville Streetcar era had like 7 different private companies offering streetcar service.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I know very little about airport traffic management, but I've always been curious as to why the former sinkhole/drainage pond (now filled in) was not done sooner. Did it actually help to have the planes being forced closer to the buildings?  Or maybe just not feasible (IDKW) before all the earth was moved in this expansion? Which brings me to the question I have now. Why hasn't that whole area been paved over?  Or will it be after the expansion is completed? And it appears to be asphalt, whereas concrete is typically used in order to support the weight of the planes. I can see it now looks like a lay out area with direct access to the international gates construction zone. 

9 hours ago, dxfret said:

I agree that the sinkhole/drainage area should have been fill-in years ago. I recall reading that the now filled-in area has to allow some time to pass for the earth to settle.  Concrete should be then added. In the meantime it helps to have a staging area for the central terminal construction now underway. 

There was never a need for that hole to be filled, until now. Thus, never spent the millions of $$

It will remain blacktop for a total of 3-5 years (I don't recall the #) to allow the ground to settle before planes can be allowed on the filled area. It is a FAA requirement. After that, it can and will be concrete. We will see the same thing when the A concourse fill project starts in January 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I wish the new baggage claim would designed to let arrivals know they were in Nashville. Currently that could be any city in America. 

There will probably be additions later, like Martin Guitars, Jack Daniel's, etc, that will make it feel 'Nashville'. But, unfortunately, it still feels like you're picking up your luggage from the basement

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

There will probably be additions later, like Martin Guitars, Jack Daniel's, etc, that will make it feel 'Nashville'. But, unfortunately, it still feels like you're picking up your luggage from the basement

Yup. They definitely needed higher ceilings for baggage claim. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LA_TN said:

Forget the decorations - I would be happy if they just listed the correct carousel for your flight and didn't announce a carousel change over the intercom for 100% of the flights.  Like seriously, how hard is it to plan out the carousel assignments in advance and stick to them?

• Thanks 2