Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

Dang!  How long is that boom?  I'm fascinated by construction in general, but even more when it's a whole new building being built around an existing one that's still conducting its daily business. Used to travel a lot to Boston in the late 1990s when Logan was getting renovated/expanded but I don't recall a complete wrap around the old building. It was a mess, but they made it work fine. 

8 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Dang!  How long is that boom?  I'm fascinated by construction in general, but even more when it's a whole new building being built around an existing one that's still conducting its daily business. Used to travel a lot to Boston in the late 1990s when Logan was getting renovated/expanded but I don't recall a complete wrap around the old building. It was a mess, but they made it work fine. 

The big Demag mobile crane is 439', not sure about the tower crane 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sean blackdog said:

Today this evening from Facebook BNA. 

It was our great pleasure to welcome the Consul-General of Japan, Ms. Kayoko Fukushima, and her team to BNA® today.  We were excited to show our expansion progress and our future plans, including a state-of-the-art International Arrivals Facility slated to open in 2023.

With it, we anticipate connecting Nashville to the world as never before with international service to many more destinations—including, we hope, a nonstop flight to Tokyo at some point. We look forward to that day.

Japan-America Society of Tennessee, Inc. 
Nashville Cherry Blossom Festival
Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development
Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce
Sister Cities of Nashville

73CC73D7-289E-4400-8E44-A22B80010A42.jpeg

107B336D-D4FC-42CB-A474-A232823B6C46.jpeg

0B1FF580-2940-435D-8BED-11BC382786A3.jpeg

13E63F04-01AF-47D2-9289-46D508EDC26C.png
OR...

6C696221-81D3-457B-9B14-00EC364A236D.png

If only. But in all seriousness a direct flight to Japan might happen one day but not for at least another half a decade with covid fallout. Also I think cities like Philadelphia and Miami will get an Asian nonstop before places like Nashville or Austin do, as those areas have much more Asian demographics and companies than Nashville does currently.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Has the airport seen longer lines with construction and/or any pandemic related changes? I am flying out this weekend and wasn’t sure if it would be crazy or an ghost town

Due to the current health environment, no.  We've flown out and back a couple times last month and late last year; it takes no time to get through to the concourse.  We're heading out again shortly and anticipate similarly low congestion.  You will notice construction, but it really isn't a factor as an airport visitor.  BNA is doing a great job keeping construction from affecting the flyer.  It is relatively less busy than normal times, but not a ghost town; you will notice this for sure.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 2

I have flow twice in the last two months and both times the security was extremely fast even though the airport seemed to be very busy.  One was to Dallas before Christmas and another just back from Denver. Both flights were totally full and the expanded baggage claim area is welcomed and has plenty of room.  There still appear to be a number of the retail areas in both C and D gates that are under construction, but I'm very impressed with the new D and what I am seeing in the terminal itself.  On the other hand, the parking needs work, too much walking to get to the surface lot or the new multi-story parking garage, but the lighting is impressive.  They badly need moving sidewalks and/or shuttle buses to the surface lot.  The old C lot and the one across Donelson Pike are not being used.  

Edited by GreenHillsBoy

24 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Allegiant announces new routes starting later this year. 

Here’s a link to the press release: https://ir.allegiantair.com/news-releases/news-release-details/allegiant-announces-major-service-expansion-34-new-nonstop

The new routes to Nashville International Airport (BNA) include:

1. Albany, New York via Albany International Airport (ALB) – beginning May 14, 2021with one-way fares as low as $49.* 
  2. McAllen, Texas via McAllen International Airport (MFE) – beginning May 27, 2021with one-way fares as low as $69.* 
  3. Portsmouth, New Hampshire via Portsmouth International Airport (PSM) – beginning May 27, 2021 with one-way fares as low as $69.* 
  4. Boise, Idaho via Boise International Airport (BOI) – beginning May 28, 2021 with one-way fares as low as $69.* 

Dang, that's incredible.  This will make 32 destinations that Allegiant will serve out of BNA.  And they've been at BNA for just a couple of years.  Actually, Nashville is also one of a handful of airports that Allegiant will provide special flights to SD for the Sturgis Rally later this year.  So for a while they'll have 33 destinations out of BNA.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Dang, that's incredible.  This will make 32 destinations that Allegiant will serve out of BNA.  And they've been at BNA for just a couple of years.  Actually, Nashville is also one of a handful of airports that Allegiant will provide special flights to SD for the Sturgis Rally later this year.  So for a while they'll have 33 destinations out of BNA.

Special flights....to a motorcycle rally?  

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Making great progress during this lull.  I wonder why they decided to locate the satellite concourse at that site. It limits the gates to one side. And is this planned as temporary until the new terminal is built? 

There’s really no other place to put it. It’s been a while since I’ve read through the documentation, but I believe it’s meant to be permanent.

They weighed a couple of options of how to get through the rebuild of Concourse A(handstands vs. temporary satellite concourse vs. permanent satellite concourse) and they chose the permanent satellite concourse. It was the most expensive option, but we get new permanent gates and they can build out concession/rentable space in the permanent concourse. 

• Like 1

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but was there ever an option to build an international terminal on the old airport property and do an underground tram system between it and the main terminal?  Or an option to  build an international terminal on the east side of the airport property also with an underground tram system?  They could have also done a larger customs check point in those terminals as well in anticipation of future international growth.

The airport authority needs to speak with The Boring Company about making an underground connection to the satellite terminal. They are able to do underground work for remarkably less money than other entities. That distance is similar to the underground tunnel at DTW that is serviced by moving sidewalks. They could also look at doing a tram through it, but that would be substantially more money. 

• Like 3