Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

First time long time. Just wanted to share that the food court on C is boarded up and no existing sheetrock came down. This makes the food options on C/D:

Gibson Cafe

Barista Parlor

400 degrees

Starbucks

Tootsies

8th and Roast

Cold sandwiches scattered about

I know Doug loves getting on camera and their twitter loves beating their chest about how great BNA Vision is, but it's criminally bad how meager the food offerings are.  2 of the 6 outlets were closed by 8pm last night.  I used to complain about the food at the A gates at DCA, but that's 6 restaurants for 9 gates. Looking forward to seeing what's next, but it's irritating beyond belief right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Welcome to the forum Chato_reyes! Glad you made the leap to join. 

I do think the eateries will come back to BNA soon, but I do agree with your assessment. Its all about PR at this point in the game and painting a rosy picture after the fiasco of the parking situation of a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chato_reyes said:

First time long time. Just wanted to share that the food court on C is boarded up and no existing sheetrock came down. This makes the food options on C/D:

Gibson Cafe

Barista Parlor

400 degrees

Starbucks

Tootsies

8th and Roast

Cold sandwiches scattered about

I know Doug loves getting on camera and their twitter loves beating their chest about how great BNA Vision is, but it's criminally bad how meager the food offerings are.  2 of the 6 outlets were closed by 8pm last night.  I used to complain about the food at the A gates at DCA, but that's 6 restaurants for 9 gates. Looking forward to seeing what's next, but it's irritating beyond belief right now.

And 400 Degrees plus 8th and Roast both just opened in the last few weeks

I'm thinking that is the space that will be remodeling next. But, yes, concessions have been a nightmare for months. The airport and vendor have been in talks about the (subpar) service levels for a few months. Hopefully, things will be better soon

Yeah, they have done equal openings to closings since Christmas or so. The day after Tootsies reopened, O'Charleys was boarded up. There's people ready to work and mouths to be fed, and they just can't stop closing stuff at a rate detrimental to the average passenger.

Maybe they'll surprise me and all the false walls in D will come down this week with replacements, but I'm not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, Jamie Hall said:

Wasn't there a big wave of new local food options announced by BNA several months ago? What happened to those?

Barista Parlor, 8th and Roast, 400 Degrees and Tootsie's are all local. Pyramids Cafe, Bajo Sexto and Urban Juicer had signs on the island of neglected commerce across from C13 and 14 but they have been painted over for some time now. 

From looking at the new seating in the new Concourse D at BNA, it doesn't look like they chose seats that have built in charging/electrical hubs underneath the seats or wireless charging built into the armrest as I've seen in several airports.  If that's the case, I think that's a miss on behalf of BNA to not include them.    Some airports have shifted away from charging poles and/or a limited number of seats with charging capability because of the high volume of passengers wanting to use them.

image.png.53d0796185084c47c57dbcf6a5130884.png 

Photo taken from the Tennessean article titled 'It will be like you're in an indoor stadium': The new Nashville airport takes shape (dated April 5, 2021)

Also, does anyone know if the sit down restaurants and bars are going to be using electronic menus to order and to pay your tab?  IAH and JFK have several restaurants that offer that option.  I like that option in an airport because you don't have to wait on a waitress or waiter to take your order.  Nor do you have to wait on them or flag them down to pay your check, etc.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Chato_reyes said:

They do have charging with standard 3 prong outlets and USB ports between every other seat. They are hard to distinguish in the pictures as they are under the armrest and vertically positioned between seats. If you zoom in on the first seat in the foreground you can see the appliance.

Excellent!!!  Thanks for pointing that out.  Very much appreciated.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 4:02 PM, Sean blackdog said:

Today this evening. 
https://www.businesstravelnews.com/Transportation/Industry-Waits-to-See-on-Biden-Infrastructure-Plan

The expansion of Concourse A at Nashville International Airport by 10 gates, at a cost of $620 million, and extending one of the airport's runways to enable nonstop service to Asia, at a cost of $500 million

Good find, but I don't share the enthusiasm. Today, all of the airport's projects have been funded with ZERO tax dollars. If BNA got federal funding, that would be negative publicity for the airport authorities

• Like 2

I expect it will be more of a situation that airports that have been able to pay their own way will actually see the dollars go to other airports because they 'need it more'.  That's how a 6-gate airport in Michigan will end up getting its capacity doubled while never attracting a single additional passenger.  This is seen especially in places that have strong representatives in Congress. Safe to say that Nashville doesn't.  It's how the federal game is played.  There will also be specific requirements attached to the money, such as minimum number of left-handed paper hangers and all members of a pie-baking union, etc.  Since BNA is well on its course of expansion, MNAA may decide to 'opt out' by not applying for anything big. There will likely be some 'bells and whistles' like solar panels placed over the parking garages, etc.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 6:37 AM, MLBrumby said:

I expect it will be more of a situation that airports that have been able to pay their own way will actually see the dollars go to other airports because they 'need it more'.  That's how a 6-gate airport in Michigan will end up getting its capacity doubled while never attracting a single additional passenger.  This is seen especially in places that have strong representatives in Congress. Safe to say that Nashville doesn't.  It's how the federal game is played.  There will also be specific requirements attached to the money, such as minimum number of left-handed paper hangers and all members of a pie-baking union, etc.  Since BNA is well on its course of expansion, MNAA may decide to 'opt out' by not applying for anything big. There will likely be some 'bells and whistles' like solar panels placed over the parking garages, etc.

MidAmerica  Airport  is a perfect example

Allegiant is now there and giving it life

Edited by leggy77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Total Passengers for March have been uploaded to BNA's website. 

983,116. Up 28.4% over last March, but down 34.9% over March 2019 (1,511,541). Hopefully we cross 1 million pax in April!  

https://flynashville.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/032021TotalPassengers.pdf

Edited by downtownresident
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Chato_reyes said:

Headed in to town and will have some time to kill before my ride arrives. Hopefully in my post flight wanderings I find good news on the concession front, and a nice angle to get pictures of the T gates as they're being referred to.

This is the current view from airside,

20210408_172327-1755.thumb.jpg.beca5587b33bdff4a63dadee04d0bff3.jpg

20210408_172436-1754.thumb.jpg.2623333010dffc8fe97e6b411a8c7584.jpg

Landside, they started the canopy extension to the garage, thus all exposed areas are closed nightly for safety during construction

20210411_010310.thumb.jpg.eeb1d9be66080370bfd0cde1b9e13980.jpg

The center portion of the terminal is completely closed, walled off, and inaccessible

• Like 3