Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

I saw your? points on another forum, but with Fraport's scale they could have shoved a proprietary concept or two in the empty spaces. Firkin and Fox or "Music City Grill".  $13 club sandwiches with Sysco potato chips that came out of a 50lb sack. Run it until they have a real concept and turn over instantly with kitchen equipment already in place. New apartment towers lease 20% of the units in to extended stay concepts during initial lease up and stabilization so they have guaranteed income. And if there's deadlines to get Party Fowl and a new BK built out on D, it makes zero sense to spread construction jobs out to the C food court to tear it down. But I'm in IT, not the airport business.

Flying in for the weekend tomorrow and depending on my gate and my ride I'll try and peek through the cracks in the sheetrock, but I expect to be monumentally disappointed. I'm honestly surprised BNA hasn't turned an empty stall on D in to a warm shell to build an in-person merch store so they can keep making it all about themselves.

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Sounds to me like there's opportunity for food service companies at BNA!  Is that really the case?  What if a franchisee for (say) Chikfila or Zaxby's or even Mcdonalds was ready to step up to the plate... while  not "Nashville flavor" would they have a slot at the airport ready for them?  

Fraport won the bid to provide concessions 2 years ago

Chick-fil-A is confirmed for the A/B rotunda

McDonald's, Zaxby's, anything can be a vendor. It's just that BNA wants to promote Nashville inside the airport, also

As for open slots, sort of. Any concession would not start a build out until plans are finalized. 120 day limits for food and beverage

47 minutes ago, Chato_reyes said:

I saw your? points on another forum, but with Fraport's scale they could have shoved a proprietary concept or two in the empty spaces. Firkin and Fox or "Music City Grill".  $13 club sandwiches with Sysco potato chips that came out of a 50lb sack. Run it until they have a real concept and turn over instantly with kitchen equipment already in place. New apartment towers lease 20% of the units in to extended stay concepts during initial lease up and stabilization so they have guaranteed income. And if there's deadlines to get Party Fowl and a new BK built out on D, it makes zero sense to spread construction jobs out to the C food court to tear it down. But I'm in IT, not the airport business.

Flying in for the weekend tomorrow and depending on my gate and my ride I'll try and peek through the cracks in the sheetrock, but I expect to be monumentally disappointed. I'm honestly surprised BNA hasn't turned an empty stall on D in to a warm shell to build an in-person merch store so they can keep making it all about themselves.

^^agreed on all points. They do have Hudson or something selling sandwiches in D. Also, I believe there is or will be a BNA merchandise store

Fraport lost leases and had to go back and start over, then started late, have to do all now to meet deadlines....what a mess. We must have understanding, due to pandemic, but shell construction could not have started earlier due to BNA limitations on construction timelines. Fraport is really embarrassing for BNA, currently

• Like 3

Airport was a mess last night. Waited nearly 30 minutes to get to our gate and it looked like the D gates were closed. The departures lanes being closed backed up traffic almost to I-40. In the spirit of offering constructive criticism, DCA and IAD offer free garage parking for an hour while the departures and arrivals roadways are being worked on. I wish MNAA had the foresight to anticipate problems instead of rushing to find solutions after these issues have metastisized. 

In good news, there's an 8th and Roast coming to the former Fly Babies space right where the dog leg starts at C9. That Starbucks might not be long for this world since they're about 100 feet apart.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/2/2021 at 11:18 AM, rolly said:

I guess Food Trucks are out of the question.

Not entirely out of the question (but also not what you are thinking prolly). At my last firm up in Boston we worked on a new concept for JFK airport. Permanent food trucks for smaller vendors. 

https://www.moodiedavittreport.com/ssp-america-showcases-a-taste-of-new-york-at-jfk-terminal-4/

The biggest surprise is how hard this was to get through the Port Authority permitting process. Even though there were no engines or movable parts, they kept asking us how the food trucks weren't going to roll away. The wheels were literally welded to the truck bodies...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

Not entirely out of the question (but also not what you are thinking prolly). At my last firm up in Boston we worked on a new concept for JFK airport. Permanent food trucks for smaller vendors. 

https://www.moodiedavittreport.com/ssp-america-showcases-a-taste-of-new-york-at-jfk-terminal-4/

The biggest surprise is how hard this was to get through the Port Authority permitting process. Even though there were no engines or movable parts, they kept asking us how the food trucks weren't going to roll away. The wheels were literally welded to the truck bodies...

Those would look great in the open space between D3 and D4. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

My friend Ernie Ford suggested it might be Sixteen Tons. What do you get if you guess correctly? Another day older and deeper in debt?

Now there's a relevant pop culture reference the kids will be all over!  :D

On 5/11/2021 at 6:22 PM, Sean blackdog said:

Today this morning from Facebook BNA. 
How much does the first spine truss weigh? Take a guess! (HINT: The word “tons” definitely applies here. But how many?)

1B89A4C0-EA4E-41D5-839C-341B6296A756.jpeg

130 tons

Well, considering everything that has gone on in the last 18 months, folks need to have some patience and realize nobody expected the devastating crash of the pandemic and the explosive return of travel that has exceeded all expectations. Couple that with a fragmented terminal that is one MASSIVE construction zone currently, those choosing to fly in/out of BNA need to suck it up. I see no shame because you can only do so much with what you've got regarding staffing, options available, food running out, etc. It's growing pains and it's never easy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NashRugger said:

Well, considering everything that has gone on in the last 18 months, folks need to have some patience and realize nobody expected the devastating crash of the pandemic and the explosive return of travel that has exceeded all expectations. Couple that with a fragmented terminal that is one MASSIVE construction zone currently, those choosing to fly in/out of BNA need to suck it up. I see no shame because you can only do so much with what you've got regarding staffing, options available, food running out, etc. It's growing pains and it's never easy.

I have a certain amount of tolerance for construction, but the manner in which it's being done is baffling. To close 4 restaurants in the busier half of the airport with no replacements and to open a coffee shop that closes before sunset is not doing anything for the passenger experience. The passengers which coincidentally fund the airport through arrival and departure fees. Meanwhile MNAA seems more concerned with letting everyone know how cranes work and that they have their own apparel brand. 

Fraport can be behind schedule and that's fine, but someone at the airport had to sign off on closing 4 food outlets last month. That was a bad decision.

• Like 3