Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

4 minutes ago, UrbanWes03 said:

What made the carpet so defining? I’ve yet to find out why. I mean it even has its own Instagram and merch:tw_sweat_smile:

I've tagged that IG account several times.  It's been famous for many years but I don't know the origin.  Perhaps one of the other long-time Nashvillians know.

• Like 1

I flew back in from California last Friday night and the pickup area outside baggage claim was a mess.  There were at least six cars parked for at over20 minutes as I was waiting for my pickup and there was no security to make these a holes move.  Those that were following the rules had to stop in the middle and far lanes to pick up people since those six cars were blocking the normal process which in turn backed up the incoming cars past the covered pick up area.  It burns me up when people feel so privileged and special that they won't follow the rules, but makes me more mad that the one security guard I saw did nothing!!!

Edited by GreenHillsBoy
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

I flew back in from California last Friday night and the pickup area outside baggage claim was a mess.  There were at least six cars parked for at over20 minutes as I was waiting for my pickup and there was no security to make these a holes move.  Those that were following the rules had to stop in the middle and far lanes to pick up people since those six cars were blocking the normal process which in turn backed up the incoming cars past the covered pick up area.  It burns me up when people feel so privileged and special that they won't follow the rules, but makes me more mad that the one security guard I saw did nothing!!!

Yeah it's a complete mess. I know people on this board have shown me the plan for ingress/egress additions, but I think the "plan" is grossly ineffective. I am not a big "more lanes!" person, but I really think more lanes needed to be added. 

The pickup / drop off area is so bad, I am thinking about just having family members pick me up at short term parking every time. 

13 minutes ago, Sean blackdog said:

Today this morning from Facebook Sky5. 

2457AEDB-98BA-49D9-B4F3-2643935AA1D5.jpeg

I think I like the red exposed steel better than the panels being installed... 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

Hey @LA_TNcan you confirm that the waving roof continues over the hole on the tarmac side? I havent looked at the design images in awhile and forget.

image.thumb.png.fd625a1f87229bd793fc391151374ac5.png

On 9/21/2021 at 2:33 PM, nashvylle said:

The pickup / drop off area is so bad, I am thinking about just having family members pick me up at short term parking every time. 

To me one of the toughest parts about BNA is the fact that all the terminals come to a ingress/egress point. Not sure about our direct capacity competitors, but many other airports I have gone through have different pickup points for the different terminals. Unfortunately, BNA does not have the space to do this, but I agree that something needs to be figured out that is a better solution than the current one.

• Like 2

Good point!  Seems the whole terminal, which I understand was to be primarily a transfer hub (not O&D) does restrict future expansion. The ingress/egress is a big issue, but also flow inside the secure area between the concourses is really awkward, IMO exacerbated after the International gates are completed.

I wondered when the satellite was announced how an underground rail between concourses could link them all in one line and be built with minimal disruptions to daily operations.  I keep coming back to an arc that would sweep out from midway at A to the end of B to the western end of the new satellite, back in to the eastern end of C, then D and on a straighter route over to the new terminal opposite the current Donelson Pike. That'd still require a lot of walking between ABCD gates, but I think the biggest need will be between the ABCD gates to the satellite gates and between terminals after the new one exists.  I wish I were better at photoshop, so I could draw it on an aerial photo of the airport. I wonder if one of those giant boring machines (proposed for Megan Barry's subway) could do much of it.  Seems like it'd be cost prohibitive without a major carrier claiming BNA as a new hub.