Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

4 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

Current construction notwithstanding, BNA is a single-terminal airport, so the single access/egress point is, if not by design, then at least baked into it. It should work out in a lot of ways, as it makes navigation for arrivals easier and there is a single security checkpoint.

One of the things that BNA could do that is/was not featured in TARI (it may be a separate project) would be to extend the loading/unloading zones further along the backsides of Concourses A and D. If not for the adjacent construction it would be possible to add additional entrance/exit ramps to the area in the middle so vehicles could pick up or drop off then get out without circulating through the rest of the zone. Not sure if that helps much, though.

Interestingly as a point of design large airports moved away from the multi-terminal design a few decades ago, and definitely post-9/11 when security became a major issue. But the most recent trend is from satellite concourses (think Denver or Atlanta) back to connected concourses like what BNA has. Istanbul's new airport, Beijing Daxing, etc. have a similar layout as BNA, just scaled up. So the question may not be whether the design is functionally obsolete but what can be done to make it function similarly to larger, more modern airports, which I guess is the point of BNA Vision in the first place.

Thanks for the great breakdown! 

I think moving towards a model similar to what BNA did for the taxi/ride share could be a good way forwards for traditional vehicle. I understand there is a certain convenience factor involved, but I don't believe it is entirely necessary in the present day to have the cars come right to the door of the airport anymore. If the amount of traffic that got right up to the terminal doors was limited that much more (say to public transit and accessibility vehicles) the footprint of the pre-security structure could expand and either have more space for security equipment or have pre-security amenities such as a coffee shop/gift shop/newsstand for folks waiting at baggage claim. The pre-security amenities is actual a big struggle in my opinion of BNA.

• 2 weeks later...

My commiserations for anyone who's had to fly WN the last few days. I'm sure the south concourse was a real treat with all those people and limited space/options. 

In more pleasant news, British Airways is resuming it's flights between BNA-LHR in December https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/10/12/british-airways-bna-nonstop-resumes.html

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chato_reyes said:

My commiserations for anyone who's had to fly WN the last few days. I'm sure the south concourse was a real treat with all those people and limited space/options. 

In more pleasant news, British Airways is resuming it's flights between BNA-LHR in December https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/10/12/british-airways-bna-nonstop-resumes.html

Barely made it back from MCO; D gate areas were relatively empty late Saturday night.  There was a gathering of several folks outside security at Green Beans. 

2 hours ago, tragenvol said:

Barely made it back from MCO; D gate areas were relatively empty late Saturday night.  There was a gathering of several folks outside security at Green Beans. 

Congrats, you were lucky, coming from there. Many flights canceled and some folks got no rebook with only ticket price refunded. Left them stranded with zero options. Bad weekend for a big airline during Fall Break for many people. It will be interesting to see if this hurts them down the road. They definitely hurt a lot of people the last few days 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LA_TN said:

Congrats, you were lucky, coming from there. Many flights canceled and some folks got no rebook with only ticket price refunded. Left them stranded with zero options. Bad weekend for a big airline during Fall Break for many people. It will be interesting to see if this hurts them down the road. They definitely hurt a lot of people the last few days 

The airline Gods smiled upon us this time, as we were stranded in Orlando back in February by Spirit.  Our flight was overbooked by one; Southwest offered a $1,200 voucher plus ticket cost for one volunteer to give up their seat.

MCO was crazy Saturday; lots of unhappy folks.  

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

The first step towards the new Concourse A begins. This is a BNA Vision 2.0 project that will fill a 95 foot depression to allow room for planes to maneuver around the new concourse. This will add 27 acres of ramp space

https://flynashville.com/news/massive-earthwork-project-set-to-begin-at-nashville-international-airport

20211021_104421.thumb.jpg.552eafeaaa8a407343a2d4703aecea01.jpg

Will the new concourse A be an extension at a 90 degrees from the existing one (shown in the rendering)?  I’ve seen some future plans that show a concourse that runs roughly parallel to B. 

2 hours ago, Chato_reyes said:

The airport announced (via social) that Starbucks in C is closing, but offered up nuggets such as:

*"Fugitives Public House" at gate A1. On the website now but don't recall one lick of press about it opening. Surprised there's any investments in A to be honest but perhaps it's just cold stuff and drinks and there was no kitchen buildout.

*Bongo Roasting Company to C gates. 

*Shake Shack to C gates.

*Starbucks Reserve to A/B rotunda.

Shake Shack!! Happy to see that announced for the airport finally. Can't wait to enjoy while waiting for my next flight!

Regarding the Starbucks in the rotunda, was it said that it will be a Reserve location? Those are typically harder to come back and really never found in airports so that would be an interesting concept if that comes to fruition. Excited for it nonetheless.