Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

Didn't see a pink haired barista tonight as we got back tonight; 8th and Roast was buzzing, but Bongo Java had just closed....C gates were quite populated this evening.  I read that PLP's Pigstar had opened Friday, but we flew out right when it was opening at 6:00 am....so it was Tootsie's once again preflight.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Picked up the wife from the airport the Wednesday before Christmas and boy, what a nightmare. I ended up picking her up from the passenger drop-off because the arrivals lane was backed up past the cell phone lot (which was in turn backed out onto the ramp leading from the interstate). Admittedly this was at 6:30 on one of the busiest travel days of the year, but this is completely unsustainable as Nashville adds more flights. It will theoretically get a little better once terminal construction is complete, but it just really sucks that the only realistic options are car pick up, taxi, or rideshare, or a bus ride to a kind of shady garage downtown.  Here in DC, DCA gets nuts sometimes because of the challenges associated with the rather haphazard expansion (and geographic constraints) of the terminal, but on those days I just get whoever it is I'm picking up to hop the metro one stop to Braddock Road or Crystal City and pick the up there...or they just take it to their destination. I don't ever expect Nashville to have anything approaching the DC Metro (which even on its worst, most mismanaged days is better than nothing), but having some sort of BRT or rail to the airport just has to happen sometime soon.

The ridiculous parking fees for the garages need to come down. My family would pay $4 or $8 to greet me in the terminal instead of trying to do curbside, but with the fee jumping from $0 to $20 at minute 20, it's just not sustainable. 

I've also noticed you can take an immediate left inside the valet facility and get out with no gates or personnel, but I imagine after awhile once a few people try to do their drop offs and pick ups from down there, jersey wall or bollards will go up.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Not only the airport parking prices but the hotel overnight parking prices as well. Nashville prices are close to what you would pay in NYC for parking which is overkill and greedy.

Indeed, and as long as people have no realistic options other than driving, they'll continue to go up! There's just no incentive to drop them, and all the incentive in the world to raise them.

At least we're not at the stage that Heathrow is...there's a toll charged just for picking up passengers to discourage driving personal vehicles to the airport!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

- passenger numbers are at the pre-pandemic projected numbers (higher than 2019)

Already?

Is the "New Concourse A" (to be completed in 2023)  the "L" shaped extension shown in some floor plans posted here? 

I assume the Concourse D Extension is also the "L" wing shown in the same long term floor plans; is that correct? 

33 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

- passenger numbers are at the pre-pandemic projected numbers (higher than 2019)

Already?

Is the "New Concourse A" (to be completed in 2023)  the "L" shaped extension shown in some floor plans posted here? 

I assume the Concourse D Extension is also the "L" wing shown in the same long term floor plans; is that correct? 

The new Concourse A finished in 2023 that was referenced is the fill project so that the apron can be expanded to facilitate the new Concourse A. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 1:30 PM, markhollin said:

Sky Harbour Group plans to plans to build nine rentable private jet hangars with interior suites and other features at Nashville International Airport.

The sites will span around 13,400 square feet each, according to a statement. They’ll come equipped with office, lounge and storage space, as well as a kitchen, bathroom and laundry facility. Private parking is also available in each unit, and each hangar has humidity and temperature control for the jets.

Sky Harbour says its private jet hangars will maintain plenty of exclusivity. Renters will access their units from a private entrance off Murfreesboro Pike, and no unauthorized people are allowed in. The company also offers tenants an app to manage and monitor their hangars remotely.

Besides Nashville, Sky Harbour has developed private jet hangars in Miami, Houston, Denver, Phoenix and Dallas.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/01/10/luxury-hangars-at-bna.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=0

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 1.27.47 PM.png

Finally somewhere reasonable to stash my jets. I’m tired of parking them in a standard hanger like a peasant. 

• Haha 4

On 1/8/2022 at 6:09 PM, markhollin said:

LA_TN has gathered this info on updates to the construction schedule on the terminal, cargo buildings, runways, etc:

Satellite Concourse (Vision 2.0)
- design enhanced for B737 MAX (204 seats), up from A320 (150 seats)
- an extra 4,500 sq ft added
- 2023 Oct expected opening

Concourse A
- Ramp fill project (Vision 2.0)
  - 2021 Nov start
  - 2023 Jun completion
- 2025 expected closure of existing concourse, after D expansion is open
- New Concourse A will have 16 gates (Beyond Vision)
- will have moving sidewalks!

Concourse B & C
- upgrades to all finishes, walls, gates, signage, lighting, restrooms
  - 2021 Oct start
  - 2023 Oct completion

Concourse D
- 5 gate extension
  - Air Freight
    - phase I, move to temp facility in Multi-purpose building
    - phase II, move to new permanent facility AFTER TDOT realignment of Donnelson Pike
  - 2022 start
  - 2025 completion

Master Plan
- Vision 1.0 and 2.0 completes Sept 2023
- 2025 54 total gates (with D extension)
- Beyond Vision projected cost is $1.1 B

- 2028(?) 69 total gates (Beyond Vision)
- 2022-23 baggage handling shortfall begins
  - 2022 - 2027 enhancements, 8 phases
  - new EDS (explosive detection) machines are 1.4x faster
- 2029 gate shortage expected
- 2022 May - 2023 Oct temporary gate shortage as 3 gates are lost to construction
* 48 gates are needed for optimum level of service in summer of 2022
* expect delays due to gate shortfall in summer of 2022 and 2023

Couple of thoughts/questions here...

1: The OCT 2023 opening date for the Satellite Concourse seems EXTREMELY optimistic. I would be shocked if it took less than 2  years from groundbreaking to opening, especially assuming that we keep and increase pre-pandemic traffic levels...it's much easier to work around passenger traffic when it was 1/5th of what it normally is. And, this will involve lots of construction around active aprons, making coordinating it with traffic much more difficult, unlike the extension/renovation of D, where they were able to do a lot of work off to the side.

2: The JUN 2022 completion date for the ramp fill seems a bit pessimistic...I'd hope it'd be done before then. 

3: They note that the baggage handling short fall could begin as early as this year. What are they doing about it? I get that they're doing a lot on the back end for processing and security, but what about the baggage claim? It's overcrowded as-is. Please tell me I'm just out of the loop and this is about to be rectified with the ongoing terminal construction and just isn't mentioned here.

4: How the #^&$ are they going to fit 5 more gates into Concourse D?

On 1/12/2022 at 2:31 PM, markhollin said:

At our Meet-Up last Saturday LA_TN explained that Concourse D is going to extended out further to the south.  In order to do so, the existing cargo warehouse is going to be relocated.

Which begs the question why the utility plant was built on the other side of D-6. Hopefully they do what DCA did and build up over and around it instead of that scrawny walkway in the designs posted to date with turns to another 5 gates. 

• Like 1