Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

32 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Doug Kreulen, CEO and president of the Nashville Airport Authority, breaks down the elements of the $1.4 billion "New Horizons" expansion plan that was announced earlier this month and should be completed by 2028:

- Will allow BNA to accommodate 30 million passengers annually, compared to the current 18 million. When BNA Vision is complete next year, the capacity will rise to 19.5 million.

- The growth plan gives BNA a cushion as they expect to have just under 25 million passengers by 2028. 

- Includes new concourses, new air freight facility, terminal roadway improvements and improvements to the baggage handling system

- Will have 69 gates, over 121 concession stalls and accommodate 900 operations.

- Roadway improvements include making the two-lane, one-mile loop that travels past drop-offs and pick-ups bigger. It was built in 1987 and can accommodate the current 18 million travelers, but not much more. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/06/30/doug-kreulen-breaks-down-bnas-14-billion-expans.html

All good stuff...but how about putting some of that money to improving transit service to the airport instead of expanding to accommodate 5 million more passengers than they think they'll even have (a number that, even I, a huge aviation enthusiast, thinks is an overly generous estimate)? A bus that isn't even an express all of the time that runs *at best* 45 minute headways is a joke. Get me off the plane and into town without having to wait an hour for a bus that takes 45 minutes to get where it's going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So, basically BNA will be going through construction expansion for the next 5.5 years?  Or, will there be a lag between this BNA Vision (current expansion) and BNA New Horizons (the next expansion phase)?  I just wonder how much, if any, of the current expansion work will be undone by the new expansion work that will follow..

BNA and JWN did not get one red cent from the $1B FAA infrastructure bill. Did they apply for any grants? Places like IAD, which doesn't need the money, was able to get $50 mil to replace ground level, hard stand gates for United. Boston, LAX, San Diego, Denver etc. All received money.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/22/2022 at 9:01 PM, Chato_reyes said:

The first level has (slightly) reopened, unifying the entry/exit points with many more doors than before. The existing north and south entry points are closed, so south terminal passengers getting cabs, Ubers, or going to garage 2 have a longer walk; and north terminal passengers renting a car have an elongated walk as well. It feels very claustrophobic in here, low ceilings and very sterile looking. Not sure if they can fix the ceiling issue but once the rental operations move back down here, there might be a splash of color.

Ole red is open and was full with a line tonight. The restrooms at the exit of the C/D gates are closed for renovations.

PXL_20220522_230640893.jpg

Re-upping this observation just to second the emotion that the ceiling down here on the ground level is reaaaallly low,  it feels very weird. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 2:26 PM, Nathan_in_DC said:

All good stuff...but how about putting some of that money to improving transit service to the airport instead of expanding to accommodate 5 million more passengers than they think they'll even have (a number that, even I, a huge aviation enthusiast, thinks is an overly generous estimate)? A bus that isn't even an express all of the time that runs *at best* 45 minute headways is a joke. Get me off the plane and into town without having to wait an hour for a bus that takes 45 minutes to get where it's going.

I’m more optimistic than you about our future volumes, but I agree with you wholeheartedly about transit. There needs to be a light rail line (or at least a robust BRT) connecting BNA to Downtown. That alone would probably clear out 10-15% of the O&D passengers and free up some capacity in the ride share/shuttle/self parking areas. It would also make Nashville a much stronger convention city since we would get rid of any necessity for cars.

• Like 4