Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

That and you have to respect a carrier that flies mostly mainline jets to/from BNA. I believe maybe only 1 flight is on a regional. Of course I am biased b/c we have NWA here in Memphis.

That's true. NWA isn't the only "All mainline" carrier though. Southwest (for obvious reason) and Frontier are part of that group as well. All the other carriers are either part mainline/part regional or all regional (as is the case with Continental and United). Although sometime next year Continental is going mainline/regional as Express Jet and its future with CO is up in the air.

Northwest is a good airline with good people working there. I have had the pleasure of meeting quite a few who still, through all the troubles recently, love working for them. I respect that loyalty and that looks very good on them as an employee and them as an airline. I can only hope that the feelings from them are shared across the board. BTW, their regional service between here and Minny has been cancelled and it too has gone all mainline.

I have been in correspondance with two members of the MNAA Board of Directors for the last week. There isn't really anything too new to tell anyone. But it is interesting to note that the board is currently looking to expand Canadian and Mexican service in the new year ahead. Numbers are approaching levels to some destinations to warrant non-stop service to some Canadian (Calgary and Vancouver) and Mexican destinations right now. Time will tell, as he said, but the future for new international flights to both of these countries is looking very good right now. The big thing is the Mexican and Canadian governments and getting them to agree to certain flights, etc. The airlines involved are already fine with the routes, but the governments are the hold-ups currently. And these things take time. The Cancun flight was a huge battle to get due to the Mexican government wanting Aeromexico to fly the route. MNAA said their prices were too high and Frontier was right in line with their goal for that route. Eventually, Mexican officals gave in and let the route proceed with Frontier instead of the flagship carrier of Mexico. Time will tell as to who, or what, comes of this. Getting international flights is about 80% government and 20% airlines anymore.

Currently there is construction of a de-ice pad over off Vultee Drive in front of the Observation Lot. It will be for Cargo ships only and will be large enough to handle 747's. Completion should be within a year or so on that.

I have had a huge update, including numerous night shots on the aprons and ramps at the airport, on my site. www.pbase.com/lexyky/nashville_international_airport Things continue to get updated on a weekly basis there. Delta has been the big winner as far as updates go. They have flown three 767's into town just this week alone!

Here's a sample if you will.....

Delta 767 and 757

original.jpg

original.jpg

Southwest Airlines Concourse C

69672631.LT1WGzLw.aswawaitingterminal.jpg

NWA A320

69672831.WzIS4Ci0.anwaa320pan.jpg

69772812.TqLgz4G0.anwaa320a.jpg

American Airlines Concourse C

69686665.udsVR4P9.aAARamp.jpg

Edited by Lexy

Great shots as always Lexy. very impressive. I have noticed that the building permits have been issued for the airport rework. 39 million worth. Keep us posted how the work is going in the airport.

I certainly will. $39 million is quite a bit of work ahead of us. I'll be flying out in March to LA and by then, everything should be fully screwed up. LOL!!!!

I have been in correspondance with two members of the MNAA Board of Directors for the last week. There isn't really anything too new to tell anyone. But it is interesting to note that the board is currently looking to expand Canadian and Mexican service in the new year ahead. Numbers are approaching levels to some destinations to warrant non-stop service to some Canadian (Calgary and Vancouver) and Mexican destinations right now. Time will tell, as he said, but the future for new international flights to both of these countries is looking very good right now. The big thing is the Mexican and Canadian governments and getting them to agree to certain flights, etc. The airlines involved are already fine with the routes, but the governments are the hold-ups currently. And these things take time. The Cancun flight was a huge battle to get due to the Mexican government wanting Aeromexico to fly the route. MNAA said their prices were too high and Frontier was right in line with their goal for that route. Eventually, Mexican officals gave in and let the route proceed with Frontier instead of the flagship carrier of Mexico. Time will tell as to who, or what, comes of this. Getting international flights is about 80% government and 20% airlines anymore.

Thanks for the update, Lexy. Great work, as always! I really hope they can get Canada and Mexico to agree to some of these flights. But, you're right, it can be very difficult to get their permission. I'm sure that over time, Nashville be play a much greater role in international travel.

Ahhh, bandwith has become a problem again with PBase. So if you want to see the pics, journey over to my galleries. The link is in the post with the pics in it.

Hank-You are right. I hope that it can atleast help contribute to better travel on this continent at least.

Of note: FedEx, as you know, cancelled their A380 orders last week. Now, that doesn't mean they won't get some used later on down the line, cause they most likely will. But there were desktop models made of the FedEx A380 and they are now considered to be collectors items. I just got mine in the mail today and I must say, it looks great!

If you want the website to get them I can certainly post it for anyone that wants it.

You need to come back through MEM...the concessions expansion/renovation has made it much better than it used to be!

As for Continental, I also keep it in the middle...it's a great airline for international routes, etc...but they are so political and seem to not like any form of competition (they are major opposition to Virgin America).

MEM won top Richard A. Griesbach Award of Excellence for concession programs in airports of all sizes.(http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/business/article/0,1426,MCA_440_5117234,00.html) It's improved.

Of note: FedEx, as you know, cancelled their A380 orders last week. Now, that doesn't mean they won't get some used later on down the line, cause they most likely will. But there were desktop models made of the FedEx A380 and they are now considered to be collectors items. I just got mine in the mail today and I must say, it looks great!

If you want the website to get them I can certainly post it for anyone that wants it.

I'd be interested in that website . . .

edit: nm, found it. thanks!

Edited by Clobber

Of note: FedEx, as you know, cancelled their A380 orders last week. Now, that doesn't mean they won't get some used later on down the line, cause they most likely will.

Any knowledge on why they canceled the order. Is it a lack of confidence in the A380 or something else? How many had they ordered?

I bet this put's a dent in the Airbus pocketbook.

^ The A380 project has been delayed three times. FedEx decided to go with I think 12 Triple 7's. And yes, Airbus is losing a good chunk of money. In class, we discussed that Airbus is trying to get ideas from the public. Thats all I know..

Just to add that FedEx has indicated that their capacity needs are time-sensitive, and as the 380 passengers get delayed, everything else down the line gets pushed back later and later, and it reached the point where it saves FedEx money to pay more for the 12 777s when they need it than it would to wait for what I heard was a pretty good deal they got for the 380s whenever Airbutt gets to delivering them. They're still building the hangars for the 380s though, since they've already got started. And if the 380s turn out well, I bet you'll see FedEx convert a passenger to a freighter down the road.

Edit: the cancel involved 10 firm 380s; FedEx had options I think for 10 more. My understanding is they are ordering 15 777s. Maybe I heard wrong. A new 747 is coming out soon ("747-800"). But this is a time-sensitive need, so the bottom line is when can they get delivery of whatever they choose.

Edited by Clobber

Airbus (EADS) gets a huge amount of its funding from the EU governments. Unfortunately, it's a huge jobs program that pays less than enough attention to production management for the sake of setting up plants in politically powerful regions. Basically, it's poorly run.

Edited by ATLBrain

Airbus (EADS) gets a huge amount of its funding from the EU governments. Unfortunately, it's a huge jobs program that pays less than enough attention to production management for the sake of setting up plants in politically powerful regions. Basically, it's poorly run.

In a nut shell, yeah. You hit the nail on the head. It is hard for them to go head to head with the more established, and entrenched, Boeing here in the US. Plus, Boeing usually outbids them on most contracts. Most, if not all, European airlines have large Airbus fleets for obvious reasons.

The 747-800F will be one fantastic piece of machinery that will DEFINATLY be making an appearance here in Nashville frequently. Without a doubt! China Airlines Cargo has firm orders for around 10 of these. That from the mouth of one of their pilots who has been informed by CAL he will assume the pilots seat in one.

Congrats to MEM!

Clobber, glad you found the website. In case anyone wants it, here it is: www.darontoys.com Do a search for "FedEx A380" and there you go!

Edited by Lexy

Just to add that FedEx has indicated that their capacity needs are time-sensitive, and as the 380 passengers get delayed, everything else down the line gets pushed back later and later, and it reached the point where it saves FedEx money to pay more for the 12 777s when they need it than it would to wait for what I heard was a pretty good deal they got for the 380s whenever Airbutt gets to delivering them. They're still building the hangars for the 380s though, since they've already got started. And if the 380s turn out well, I bet you'll see FedEx convert a passenger to a freighter down the road.

Edit: the cancel involved 10 firm 380s; FedEx had options I think for 10 more. My understanding is they are ordering 15 777s. Maybe I heard wrong. A new 747 is coming out soon ("747-800"). But this is a time-sensitive need, so the bottom line is when can they get delivery of whatever they choose.

Airbutt..Ha I like that. The 15 orders of the Triple 7 sounds right. FedEx is moving way too fast to wait on the A380. I wound't mind seeing that 747-8; the wings flex pretty high above the fuselage.

In regards to the 747-8, we saw a video in class about that particular aircraft and she is sweet. Instead of having window shades, there is a button you press on the window and the window tints until you can't see out of it (like a window shade, way more sophisticated).

Taken after all the flights arrived for the day. Matter of fact, it was taken around 2am in the morning, just after the last Dallas flight arrived at around 1am. They still have almost a whole side of Concourse C that is theirs and their regional jets. It would surprise you to see just how large their operations are here as compared to other, similar sized, cities across the nation.

25 flights a day to seven different cities. Two of which are not hubs for American, but "International Gateways" for them. Those two being Los Angeles and New York City.

Their total lineup of non-stop cities served from here is this:

New York

Chicago

St. Louis

Dallas

Los Angeles

Miami

Washington D.C.

25 flights a day to seven different cities. Two of which are not hubs for American, but "International Gateways" for them. Those two being Los Angeles and New York City.

New York

Chicago

St. Louis

Dallas

Los Angeles

Miami

Washington D.C.

Does that include eagle too? I didnt know AA did a D.C. direct.

New York

Chicago

St. Louis

Dallas

Los Angeles

Miami

Washington D.C.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking this is an increase from a few years ago.

^It is. And it would appear that we now have two daily flights to Miami. This is the second day in a row where a AA 737 from MIA has landed at the airport around lunchtime.

EDIT: There are infact, two flights daily now on AA 738's to Miami International.

Edited by Lexy

Well, they have torn out Gate C16 and placed a jetbridge at C15 for the time being. Construction work is on going on that part of the concourse as the renovations are well underway now. LOL! This will get worse before it gets better and with the holidays fastly approaching.......well, you get the picture. LOL!!!

Can you tell that I am board? EDIT: Not only am I "Board" I can't spell worth a crap either. I meant "Bored" not "Board". LMAO!!!!

Let me post some Frontier Airlines pictures for everyone to look at. LOL!!!

65957917.Yk7L3Zi3.afrontierjaguar.jpg

67643874.Vevzu9gq.afrontiershortfinal.jpg

69687715.GGlbgq15.afrontierpan.jpg

70450097.DguDKdA2.afrontier2.jpg

63585614.74M1ASbS.afrontierlynx1.jpg

Edited by Lexy