Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

well after countless times flying in on southwest and always ending up at the very end of the C concourse, I was actually hoping to be there when I flew in from RDU last night so I could see about noticing any of the renovations...but lucky for me I came out at gate C2 and had the shortest walk ever haha

so, I didn't get to try and notice any of the work being done, but I'll see again when I fly out on Friday.

the airport did seem unusually busy last night right as I was getting in though, especially for a monday night at that time.

The other thing I have noticed flying from RDU to BNA is that most of the time, a large amount of the passengers are staying on the plane to continue on to another final destination. I assumed with how full my flight was last night that a good amount would be continuing on to Chicago, but by the time we had emptied off the plane it was only about 10 passengers that were going RDU to Chicago...the rest were actually just making the RDU to Nashville flight which for some reason surprised me

right, I know more people got on at BNA, but I would have expected a higher number staying on from RDU, especially because at that time of night it seemed unlikely that the people getting off the plane would be going to many other connecting flights

Just a little FYI here. JetBlue has bumped up aircraft on a flight(s) for the holiday rush from a E190 to a A320 from Nashville to JFK. This is interesting news. It is also their first holiday season here in Nashville.

Typical flights are on these:

70449915.VKtEwaMv.ajb5.jpg

Flights today are on these:

69672919.Psmm3fkL.ajetbluea320.jpg

Edited by Lexy

Just a little FYI here. JetBlue has bumped up aircraft on a flight(s) for the holiday rush from a E190 to a A320 from Nashville to JFK. This is interesting news. It is also their first holiday season here in Nashville.

Wow! Interesting indeed! I would imagine that this means that Jet Blue is already doing very well with their Nashville - New York service. Does this mean more scheduled Jet Blue flights in the near future?

Wow! Interesting indeed! I would imagine that this means that Jet Blue is already doing very well with their Nashville - New York service. Does this mean more scheduled Jet Blue flights in the near future?

Well, that'll have to wait till later in the year. LOL!! But there are a few rumors flying around that BNA will see more JetBlue service in the future to other cities. From what we are hearing, they are doing very well here. Personally, I think a big reason for their success is the aircraft they use, the Embraer 190. That particular aircraft is almost perfect for a new market with high O&D like Nashville.

Hey Lexy...what are the most comfortable jets to fly on out of Nashville and which airlines use those jets? I'm pretty tall and HATE flying those little commuter type jets like United uses out of BNA.

Well, here is a list of jets that are used into and out of BNA frequently (scheduled mainline service) and who flies them.

Southwest-Boeing 737 series (excluding 800' models)

American Airlines -Boeing 737-800, MD-80's

Delta Air Lines- Boeing 737-800, 757-200, MD-80, and MD-90 (sometimes 767-300 service in place of the 757 aircraft)

Northwest Airlines-DC-9, Airbus A319, Airbus A320

Frontier Airlines-Airbus A319

JetBlue-Embraer 190

That's the mainlines that fly into here. Where are you wanting to go??? If

The Delta Boeing 757 is the biggest jet flying into here as far as passengers are concerned. It is slightly larger than a 737-800 cabin, but the flight is only 30 minutes on it. LOL!!! Everything else is either 737's or MD-80's. But I would choose the 737 over the MD-80's due to the larger cabins on them. The most comfortable is most likely just the plain ol' 737. Although the JetBlue Embraer E-190 is supposedly really nice inside.

I hope this helps!

Edited by Lexy

Well, here is a list of jets that are used into and out of BNA frequently (scheduled mainline service) and who flies them.

Southwest-Boeing 737 series (excluding 800' models)

American Airlines -Boeing 737-800, MD-80's

Delta Air Lines- Boeing 737-800, 757-200, MD-80, and MD-90 (sometimes 767-300 service in place of the 757 aircraft)

Northwest Airlines-DC-9, Airbus A319, Airbus A320

Frontier Airlines-Airbus A319

JetBlue-Embraer 190

That's the mainlines that fly into here. Where are you wanting to go??? If

The Delta Boeing 757 is the biggest jet flying into here as far as passengers are concerned. It is slightly larger than a 737-800 cabin, but the flight is only 30 minutes on it. LOL!!! Everything else is either 737's or MD-80's. But I would choose the 737 over the MD-80's due to the larger cabins on them. The most comfortable is most likely just the plain ol' 737. Although the JetBlue Embraer E-190 is supposedly really nice inside.

I hope this helps!

Oh...not going anywhere in particular. I usually fly out west (LA, Denver, Phoenix, Albuquerque) and I'm always wanting to find something comfy since all of those flights are usually 3 or more hours. Matter of fact, I'm wanting to fly out to Portland, OR in the early Spring and I don't want to make the mistake of getting on something like the little puddle hoppers I've been taking to Denver on United. I feel like a giant inside their cabins!!

Thanks for the info.

Can't wait to try JetBlue...may have to fly to NY soon!

alright well i'm happy to say I made it back to raleigh just fine, although I miss nashville already. Oh well, three weeks and a few final exams and I'll be back.

anyways, I did stumble across some of the renovations work...in the C concourse they had a large area that no longer had the tile but was a temporary carpet and you could tell you were walking on boards that had been put down where they had torn it up. Other than this, nothing else to note yet.

I know I also said before I always end up at the end it seems, well tonight my gate was C25...and for those of you who don't know, there are only 25 gates in C.

Now a couple questions that have probably been answered in this thread before...does the D concourse sit empty as of right now? If so, does that mean that there are 15 gates and an entire concourse that could be used in the future if an airline was wanting to expand a large amount? Also, has there been any speculation about if Frontier was to "hub" BNA where they would center most of their gates or anything like that? I realize this is all speculation but someone who knows more about how it works and/or what is currently being used might be able to speculate better.

alright well i'm happy to say I made it back to raleigh just fine, although I miss nashville already. Oh well, three weeks and a few final exams and I'll be back.

anyways, I did stumble across some of the renovations work...in the C concourse they had a large area that no longer had the tile but was a temporary carpet and you could tell you were walking on boards that had been put down where they had torn it up. Other than this, nothing else to note yet.

I know I also said before I always end up at the end it seems, well tonight my gate was C25...and for those of you who don't know, there are only 25 gates in C.

Now a couple questions that have probably been answered in this thread before...does the D concourse sit empty as of right now? If so, does that mean that there are 15 gates and an entire concourse that could be used in the future if an airline was wanting to expand a large amount? Also, has there been any speculation about if Frontier was to "hub" BNA where they would center most of their gates or anything like that? I realize this is all speculation but someone who knows more about how it works and/or what is currently being used might be able to speculate better.

D is empty and is built primarily for commuter aircraft and small prop-engine type aircraft. If it was to be picked up by Southwest (and they would most likely be the only one to do this), they would have to not only renovate it, but make it able to handle jetbridges. Too much money in the long run when Southwest has options on three more gates on C. But, if an airline wanted to expand their commuter service, they could still use it for that. Otherwise, it sits empty, and for good reason no doubt. I do know that the TSA and FAA have offices on the terminal level floor of Concourse D. D is also used if a bomb scare has been found on a plane. They deplane people through that concourse so that they are out of the way and somewhat out of sight too.

There has been some speculation about Frontier, but nothing concrete yet. They are currently trying some point to point routes in California out to see how they work there. Their Mexico service is currently expanding as well. Now, if, and it's a big IF, they were to hub in Nashville....it would require one of about three different things to happen. 1.) Move the General Aviation off the airport grounds to John Tune Airport and build another terminal in their place (Not likely). 2.) Build a second terminal to the right of the international gates and add a concourse/tram connecting the two "terminals" (plausible to likely). 3.) Build the fifth runway and tie the two north-south runways together with a second terminal building that was dedicated to nothing but Frontier (plausible to likely). Now, these proposals came from the mouth of a higher up at the airport as possible renovations and add-ons in the event Nashville was hubbed again. If an airline wanted to move in, there is no shortage of land for them. That is for sure.

Time will tell.

Edited by Lexy

^Yes. Everything you see close to the airport that is a large parking lot, is overflow parking with shuttles running between them and the terminal.

The airport supposedly had a bigger year than they had anticipated this year. Today and yesterday have been casually referred to as the "eye of the storm". The storm being the day before Thanksgiving and the Sunday before going back to work.

Here is the New york Giants arriving earlier today from NYC.

United Airlines Boeing 757-200. A VERY pleasant surprise!!

70750728.xptf8oK6.aunited757a.jpg

And the Detroit Red Wings/Detroit Tigers DC-9

original.jpg

Edited by Lexy

This has now shown up over at Smyrna again this year. They ferried this Boeing 747SP-31 to Smyrna last year to winter there. Apparently, they liked that set up and decided to do that again this year. I have no problems with it at all!!! LOL!!! Anytime you can see a B747SP is a great oppurtunity!

It is owned by a Ministry out of Cleveland, Ohio. They are the principle owners/users of this aircraft.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Edited by Lexy

This has now shown up over at Smyrna again this year. They ferried this Boeing 747SP-31 to Smyrna last year to winter there. Apparently, they liked that set up and decided to do that again this year. I have no problems with it at all!!! LOL!!! Anytime you can see a B747SP is a great oppurtunity!

It's a huge aircraft! What's the difference between a 747SP and say, a 747-300 or 747-400?

It's a huge aircraft! What's the difference between a 747SP and say, a 747-300 or 747-400?

The 747SP is considerably shorter than a typical 747-400. The "SP" stands for "Special Performance". They stopped making these aircrafts in the 80's and now most of the ones left flying are becoming rare to see, especially here in the USA.

Here is a schematical breakdown of the two.

Boeing 747SP

Photo courtesy of: http://www.747sp.com/Explained.asp

schematic1.jpg

Boeing 747-400

Photo courtesy of: www.airliners.net

3view-747-400.gif

It's hard to read, but the regular 747 is 231.10ft. long with a wingspan of 211.05ft. The engines are different, fuel burn is different. I posted the link that provded the first diagram above the actual picture. Click on it and it tells you everything you need to know about the 747SP.

The differences are quite dramatic when viewed side by side.

Here is a similar picture just to compare the two.

China Airlines 747-400

62858165.4IoTOwCg.achinaairlinespan1aWITHBORDER.jpg

Grace Cathedral (Star Triple Seven) Boeing 747SP

71083204.bkMxV9wV.astartriplesevenpan1.jpg

Can you see the difference in length??