Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

Here are a few more I have from a recent trip to the "port of entry" for Nashville.

American Airlines Retro Jet "Astrojet" on their 737-823.

original.jpg

Brand new airline, ExpressJet parked their one and only jet in their new livery at the airport recently. This very jet was unveiled to the public one week ago in a large ceremony in Houston. Express Jet is also a regional affiliate for Continental Airlines. Eventually, 69 aircraft will receive this livery. There are only two, TWO, pictures of this aircraft on the net (outside of the two pictures I have on my website). One is on airliners.net and the other is from here in Nashville on Jetphotos.net taken by me!

original.jpg

Edited by Lexy

• 2 weeks later...

A little update:

The new electrical building is framed up on the west side of the airport now and re-construction continues on the terminal building. Concourse C is a absolute mess and construction on B has caused Northwest to piggy-back a gate with US Airways. LOL!! I bet that's fun.

In case you haven't been recently, I have updated the heck out of the PBase site. I have a bunch of stuff that is posted in it now, along with that that is above this post here, an all new gallery dedicated to the Boeing 747SP that is parked at Smyrna Airport is part of the expansion.

Here are a couple of sample pictures to wet your appetite. This coming weekend will invovle a trip to either Huntsville or Louisville. I'll have those pics posted in time on the site in their own gallery.

original.jpg

original.jpg

And the last one,

original.jpg

Everything else can be viewed on the link that is provided at the bottom of the page in my signature line. Enjoy and thanks!!

Michael

A little update:

The new electrical building is framed up on the west side of the airport now and re-construction continues on the terminal building. Concourse C is a absolute mess and construction on B has caused Northwest to piggy-back a gate with US Airways. LOL!! I bet that's fun.

In case you haven't been recently, I have updated the heck out of the PBase site. I have a bunch of stuff that is posted in it now, along with that that is above this post here, an all new gallery dedicated to the Boeing 747SP that is parked at Smyrna Airport is part of the expansion.

Here are a couple of sample pictures to wet your appetite. This coming weekend will invovle a trip to either Huntsville or Louisville. I'll have those pics posted in time on the site in their own gallery.

original.jpg

original.jpg

And the last one,

original.jpg

Everything else can be viewed on the link that is provided at the bottom of the page in my signature line. Enjoy and thanks!!

Michael

If you come to HSV, hope you enjoy your visit, alot of things going on, new control tower construction, various stages of terminal expansion/renovation.

Not sure if they have started the new parking garage yet, but there should be a couple of 747's around at the Intermodal Center usually in the evening.

Take the drive around the end of the 12,000 + foot runway and you feel as if there is no airport around. United is back with nonstops to Denver.

If your real lucky you might catch military or NASA aircraft as they sometimes use HSV instead of the Redstone airfield(several miles east of the airport) which lately has seen alot of C-5 Galaxy landings. The Russian cargo plane has landed there as well.

Excellent photo's!

Edited by HSVTiger

If you come to HSV, hope you enjoy your visit, alot of things going on, new control tower construction, various stages of terminal expansion/renovation.

Not sure if they have started the new parking garage yet, but there should be a couple of 747's around at the Intermodal Center usually in the evening.

Take the drive around the end of the 12,000 + foot runway and you feel as if there is no airport around. United is back with nonstops to Denver.

If your real lucky you might catch military or NASA aircraft as they sometimes use HSV instead of the Redstone airfield(several miles east of the airport) which lately has seen alot of C-5 Galaxy landings. The Russian cargo plane has landed there as well.

Excellent photo's!

Thanks!

I am actually going down for an extensive photo shoot of Atlas Cargo's Boeing 747 on Friday. I will be there from around lunch till around midnight when it leaves. I am totally looking forward to this!!!!

Well let me say this, if you haven't been to Huntsville International Airport, you need to go. They know what's up down there for cargo operations and apparently know how to get it done too. That is the single most impressive set up for international cargo I have seen at a airport. It rivals airports twice its size! Very impressive. I got a bunch of pictures, but I am not posting them due to privacy. But rest assured, it makes HSV look really nice!!! I should be back this spring or summer for more!!!!

Well let me say this, if you haven't been to Huntsville International Airport, you need to go. They know what's up down there for cargo operations and apparently know how to get it done too. That is the single most impressive set up for international cargo I have seen at a airport. It rivals airports twice its size! Very impressive. I got a bunch of pictures, but I am not posting them due to privacy. But rest assured, it makes HSV look really nice!!! I should be back this spring or summer for more!!!!

Oh yeah, this has been a 25 year project. Some airports think they can just do this overnight. HSV is probably

the best airport it's size in the country. It can and will be able to handle tremendous growth. Land is being purchased in the neighboring county for a third parallel runway. The airport is in the city limits handles all of it's business without taxing the citizens. In the cargo world HSV is one of the patterns to follow.

Glad you had a good time.

An Antonov was back in town today. The special cargo was one of the Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engines for the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner that hasn't been built yet. It is going to Tullahoma to the wind tunnels for testing. It arrived last night from England with a crap load of engineers from Europe. It was a sight to see and a day for the history books here in Nashville!

Pictures are all on my website (some of them at least, there are plenty more) which is linked in my signature line.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Edited by Lexy

Lexy, Any chance they BNA would let you behind those walls at the airport to get some pictures ofof the upgrades going on. Also if anyone from the Airport Authority is reading these posts, PLEASE get some renderings up on those blank white walls so people can see what the future holds. I fly every week and hear people coming in from other cities saying that BNA looks like a dump. Remember BNA and Nashville Metro, that many of these people only are coming here for a convention and this will be the first and last impression that they will take home of Nashville.

Lexy, Any chance they BNA would let you behind those walls at the airport to get some pictures ofof the upgrades going on. Also if anyone from the Airport Authority is reading these posts, PLEASE get some renderings up on those blank white walls so people can see what the future holds. I fly every week and hear people coming in from other cities saying that BNA looks like a dump. Remember BNA and Nashville Metro, that many of these people only are coming here for a convention and this will be the first and last impression that they will take home of Nashville.

I'll do my best, but these "people" have to see that things are changing inside the terminal. What do they expect? Things to magically change overnight and nothing be disruptive to their stay here? I hope not because far sightedness seems to be in short supply if what you say is actually happening often out there. I can think of three or four airports in cities our size that this one looks three times as good as, as it stands now! LOL!!! Just after the renovations will things become more spectacular out there. But as for getting inside, I think I can do that.

I agree with you Lexy, but we know the future and visitors do not. Why not show the future? They "BNA" only has ONE chance to make a first impression! Thank you still for all your work!

I'll tickle a few ears out there and see what comes of it. At the very least they could post signs (if they haven't already) stating what is going down in each concourse.

Lexy that is my issue. There is nothing posted anywhere about the changes except a text only sign that states changes are coming. Do they really think that vistors will notice or care. People like and react to pictures. I am not trying to put this on you Lexy, I thought you might have some inside conections to get some pics for us. The real issue is BNA promote itself and the future.

Hey Michael,

What are the plans for the building mentioned in this article.

From the NBJ

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville...26/story10.html

Ron, I have no idea. I do know that the FAA has a cluster of offices in there and Comcast USED to have offices inside it, but no longer do. I suppose they are wanting it for expansion of the cargo ramp purposes. That is why they own everything else over on that side of the field. Perhaps they have some plans that I haven't heard about just yet or they have some expansion plans for FedEx. Who knows, but I will try to figure out what is up.

The MNAA is notoriously known for being slow to react and slow to inform. I suspect they will eventually get stuff up in the terminal that shows what is happening. But I see your point and it is well taken. I could go on my own rant about them but I digress.

really things didn't seem too bad in concourse C on my way in friday night. I got in at an extremely busy time when the last bank of flights was arriving for the night. Over half of the floor is torn up and you are just walking on cement or whatever it is. There are a couple "pardon the interruption" signs, but I agree a little more could be good.

I think a lot of the work is being done right now on the C concourse "triangle" were they will be putting a lot of the new food options and I took the little shortcut through so I didn't see around there how it looked.

Glad to be back in Nashville though

• 2 weeks later...