Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

OK, I know how this will come across, but i seriously think miscommunication on airliners.net is transferring over here. The guy on airliners.net who said BNA will be a focus city for the E-175 of Compass means that Nashville will be one of the first cities to see it and that it will play prominently in BNA-MSP ops. He did not mean that Northwest is sprouting a focus city in Nashville. Why would they when the MEM hub is down the road, and according to people on this board, people in Nashville simply prefer AA over Northwest? I'm not trying to be a skeptic, but there is no point in getting a rumor blown up. I certainly think this will be a good thing for Nashville, but I wouldn't expect a large focus city to grow from this.

Like I said over there, I have had word from some NW employees on the ground here that something is happening here. What? I have no idea, but it's something. We have to keep in mind that this isn't the same Northwest of last year. They don't do things the same way as they did two years ago and honestly, anything is possible. The point I made over there is if BNA continues to outpace, and outgrow, other NW focus cities and hubs, at some point NW will want a piece of the pie here along with other carriers. A case could more than easily be made to pull down the Focus City in IND and establish one here if they so choose. Why? Because the market (business) is there for it and the O&D is plentiful. That's just simple economics. You go where you'll make the most money and yields out of this airport are better than most cities our size.

Like I said over there, I have had word from some NW employees on the ground here that something is happening here. What? I have no idea, but it's something. We have to keep in mind that this isn't the same Northwest of last year. They don't do things the same way as they did two years ago and honestly, anything is possible. The point I made over there is if BNA continues to outpace, and outgrow, other NW focus cities and hubs, at some point NW will want a piece of the pie here along with other carriers. A case could more than easily be made to pull down the Focus City in IND and establish one here if they so choose. Why? Because the market (business) is there for it and the O&D is plentiful. That's just simple economics. You go where you'll make the most money and yields out of this airport are better than most cities our size.

I certainly agree with you, but doesn't this contradict what you've said earlier about how people you've talked to claim that Northwest just isn't as popular with the BNA crowd as American or Southwest or US Airways? I would love to see growth from Northwest at BNA, but the only thing I've heard is that there will be additional service with these CRJ-900s and ERJ-175s

I certainly agree with you, but doesn't this contradict what you've said earlier about how people you've talked to claim that Northwest just isn't as popular with the BNA crowd as American or Southwest or US Airways? I would love to see growth from Northwest at BNA, but the only thing I've heard is that there will be additional service with these CRJ-900s and ERJ-175s

To a degree it does contradict what I have said in the past. And maybe things have changed here. I don't know because I don't ask the people in the terminal before they get on a plane here. I assume, and this is just me here, that Northwest is gaining popularity here due to their Asian flights. I dont' know. What I do know is that here recently, NW's loads out of BNA have been better than expected (which has trasferred itself to a upward trend over the last couple of months). This taking place all the while American has seen higher loads and updgraded aircraft here as well.

To a degree it does contradict what I have said in the past. And maybe things have changed here. I don't know because I don't ask the people in the terminal before they get on a plane here. I assume, and this is just me here, that Northwest is gaining popularity here due to their Asian flights. I dont' know. What I do know is that here recently, NW's loads out of BNA have been better than expected (which has trasferred itself to a upward trend over the last couple of months). This taking place all the while American has seen higher loads and updgraded aircraft here as well.

That's great, and I really hope Northwest does expand; however, I also hope people in Nashville begin to realize that it is much much much easier for them (if they have to connect) to fly Northwest because it's an extremely short flight if they go through MEM and it helps not just MEM but the entire state. However, as you have said, Northwest is a new airline (or trying to be) coming out of bankruptcy, but I wouldn't hold my breath as far as focus cities go just because they haven't worked entirely well for them in the past. The MKE focus city is basically gone and IND hasn't seen immense growth and people have been waiting for an IND-AMS flight for forever. I hope they do add point-to-point destinations, but I wouldn't count on it happening. The newest thing NW has for expansion right now is simply adding these E175s and CRJ190s to routes

Hey Lexy, I saw a pretty big widebody fly over my apt in south nashville. I think it was a Northwest jet. Any ideas as to what it was? It was a twin engine plane and seemed to almost be floating in the sky!

One of these:

Northwest Airlines Airbus A320-212.

original.jpg

It's a step below the 757 service that NW offers and is the equivalent of a Boeing 737-800 essentially.

In that picture, you can see the "wing clouds" that formed when the air was vaporizing during the jets landing.

Edited by Lexy

Lexy

I was talking to a DHL pilot and he said the reason Fed Ex may be expanding would be the fact that they may have some large companies in the Nashville are that have commited to large amounts of cargo. So, that may be the reason for the larger jets and expansion of their cargo facility. Dell, of course comes to mind first. Who else is a large mfg. that would be shipping large amounts of cargo out? Does Nissan make excess car parts and ship them out?

Wow! That just about sums it up. I'm glad you had a chance to see it, Lexy.

Thanks Hank. It was a special morning as you can see. One that I will never forget.

Here are a couple more pics for those that don't want to exit the forum to go to another site.

original.jpg

Shuttle and Shuttle Transport panormaic picture. Scroll>>>>>>>>>>

original.jpg

NASA Press Conference

original.jpg

Lexy, do you know why Frontier has suspended BNA-CUN service for four months? I find that VERY odd

Source? It's a seasonal route to begin with. There are scheduled n/s in their schedule in August and further out so I don't know where you get this service is suspended.

Furthermore, this wouldn't surprise me. Cancun isn't a business destination and this airport tends to do more in the way of business flights than leisure flights. Nashville isn't an "Orlando Sanford Airport" where the majority fo flights coming in are vacationers going to Disney, or in the case of Nashville Opryland. This airport here is geared more to the business travellers. That's why yields are typically good out of here as opposed to other airports our size.

Edited by Lexy

I'll never forget the afternoon a few years ago when I saw the 747/Shuttle pass directly over downtown from my perch on Rolling Mill Hill. That ranks higher than the Concorde banking over I-65 at Brentwood. There's really something to that right place/right time thing. I get very lucky sometimes.

Great shots, Lex.

Lexy...how long til you'll be able to get us a pic of the new Boeing 787?

Hopefully soon, but I doubt it will be anytime in the near future. Once they get a few out, they sometimes tour the world with a new aircraft as a way to sell it to the public, and gain intrest from airlines that may not have their minds made up about it. Kinda like what the A380 has done recently. Since Nashville played a part in getting the 787 off the ground I would like to think it's a small possiblity that we may see it here, but highly doubtful in the same breath. The closest place you'll have a guarantee of seeing it would be Chicago or Dallas with American Airlines. Northwest has bought some, but I don't know if they are going to utilize them at their Memphis hub or not. So far, they seem to be quite happy with the A330 that is running the Amsterdam flight each day.

There is a slim possiblity that this aircraft will open up markets like Nashville to international destinations due to the low overhead involved in operating this aircraft (better known as "CASM" in the airline industry). "CASM" stands for Cost per Available Seat Mile.

Edited by Lexy

Okay, about Frontier's flight to Cancun. It appears it stops the second week in August. For what reason I don't know, but most likely the vacation company that used it is dropping the destination, or yields were so low that a profit on that route was hard to turn. This is a blow to the airport because we don't have any flights to Mexico outside of this single vacation destination. I do find it to be funny though because most Nashvillians will beotch and moan once it's gone, but will not use it while it's here so that it is assured it will stay. Same deal with the hockey team, nobody gives a crap until it's gone. Hopefully, the MNAA will have the forthought to solicit ideas for new flights to Mexico as the Hispanic population here in Nashville has exploded recently. Time will tell. Me personally, the loss of this flight isn't that big a deal because it was simply a vacation destination and nothing more. There are none, nor was there ever, any major business intrest in Cancun for most Nashville business' so Cancun as a business destination was out of the question.

Casey and I went down to ATL this past weekend. Had a great time and got lots of airplane pictures. Not the best weather though, but we dealt with it like a photographer should I suppose.

That airport is just stupid big and it's getting bigger! The city, well, it's Atlanta. Big and sprawl are the UNDERSTATEMENTS of the year when describing the city, but it's one heck of a town either way you cut it. I enjoyed it! And I have tentative plans to return in September for more aviation and city pics.

Here is a sample:

Korean Air Boeing 747-400 Arriving in ATL from Seoul, South Korea.

original.jpg

Air France arriving from Paris, France.

original.jpg

Delta Air Lines Boeing 777-200ER.

original.jpg

Lufthansa Airbus A340-300 from Frankfurt, Germany.

original.jpg

Those are some big birds! I actually flew on one of those Korean Air 747's when I working overseas in Seoul in the late '80's. Brings back old memories.

In my opinion Atlanta has gotten bigger than any airport should ever get. I wish the airlines would spread the wealth a little bit. The airport has gotten so big and is so congested, that delays are commonplace. and jets queue up all over the place. No airport should get so big. Atlanta would be better served if thay had a second airport like Chicago, for example.

There's a lot of talk about Atlanta building a second airport, and most people project a second airport North of the city, to better serve Atlanta's huge northern suburbs. More people live North of the city than South of the city. There's has even been a rumor that the second airport could actually be in Chattanooga connected to Atlanta by a high speed maglev train. Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

Edited by Hankster

Those are some big birds! I actually flew on one of those Korean Air 747's when I working overseas in Seoul in the late '80's. Brings back old memories.

In my opinion Atlanta has gotten bigger than any airport should ever get. I wish the airlines would spread the wealth a little bit. The airport has gotten so big and is so congested, that delays are commonplace. and jets queue up all over the place. No airport should get so big. Atlanta would be better served if thay had a second airport like Chicago, for example.

There's a lot of talk about Atlanta building a second airport, and most people project a second airport North of the city, to better serve Atlanta's huge northern suburbs. More people live North of the city than South of the city. There's has even been a rumor that the second airport could actually be in Chattanooga connected to Atlanta by a high speed maglev train. Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

You know Hank, it does boggle my mind. I try to go to sleep in the hotel and I can't because all the airplanes continue to come in all the way up until about 3am and then it stops for an hour and starts back up again. It is a very busy place and one where if you're not paying attention, you miss something big constantly. I'll be back in September with hopes on getting the British Airways 777 and a few others (including a possible ramp tour and tour of the Delta Hangars).

Awesome picture of Air Force One! Wow, for any of you who haven't been to the airport since they re-opened the C Concourse connecter it's AMAZING! I walked through it and thought to myself, "Is this really OUR airport???" It looks great and I've already eaten in the O'Charleys there and I think it's a nice change to have local food in there instead of nasty chains that I know nothing of.

I was at the Atlanta Airport yesterday and saw an Air France 747 and a Cargolux 747 coming in. Apparently, Cargolux is a cargo airline out of Luxembourg. Pretty cool looking paint scheme on the heavy.

Also, I flew back to BNA on Skywest (Delta Connection) on one of the new Canadair 70 seat jets. Nice plane, lots of leg room. However, I was issued seat 4A, which come to find out, did not exist. I got on the plane and there was just a big space where the seat should have been, behind the first class bulkhead. I looked like there had never been a seat there, but the seat number was there on the overhead bin. Needless to say, this caused some confusion as I sat in 5A and until that person showed up. We asked the flight attendants for assistance and they had no clue why my seat wasn't there. Thankfully there was an open seat nearby. How weird!

As for BNA, didn't see a lot of progress from the last time I was there about a month ago. A few new flat panel monitors, but that was it.