Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

I was at the Atlanta Airport yesterday and saw an Air France 747 and a Cargolux 747 coming in. Apparently, Cargolux is a cargo airline out of Luxembourg. Pretty cool looking paint scheme on the heavy.

Also, I flew back to BNA on Skywest (Delta Connection) on one of the new Canadair 70 seat jets. Nice plane, lots of leg room. However, I was issued seat 4A, which come to find out, did not exist. I got on the plane and there was just a big space where the seat should have been, behind the first class bulkhead. I looked like there had never been a seat there, but the seat number was there on the overhead bin. Needless to say, this caused some confusion as I sat in 5A and until that person showed up. We asked the flight attendants for assistance and they had no clue why my seat wasn't there. Thankfully there was an open seat nearby. How weird!

As for BNA, didn't see a lot of progress from the last time I was there about a month ago. A few new flat panel monitors, but that was it.

I think a majoity of the work is on B over next to the Northwest gates. Supposedly, those areas will house some new eateries and some new shops. In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, the airport is getting some world class shops! Some of the chains that are setting up shop inside are only in select airports around the country. So I suppose that is a little something to be proud of. As for progress, this whole renovation thingy is going to take a long time to finish so I doubt there is a big rush to get it all taken care of.

Cargolux is infact a cargo airline that is based in Luxemberg. One of the largest all-cargo airlines in the world as a matter of fact. They have a weekly flights to Huntsville (HSV) and dailies to Atlanta (ATL) and Indianapolis (IND). That is the closest scheduled Cargolux flights to Nashville. Occasionally you will see them add extra lift for FedEx in Memphis (MEM) and UPS in Louisville (SDF) for the holiday's. Cargolux flies a fleet of Boeing 747's.

Image url:http://coppermine.luchtzak.be/albums/userpics/10001/normal_UCV01_tk.jpg

normal_UCV01_tk.jpg

Lexy, is there any airline you don't have a picture of? haha...I suppose I could tell you I flew Saeta Airlines one time to Ecuador and you might not be able to post a picture of that haha...

Seriously though, you amaze me with the scope of your airline photography :good:

As for BNA, I am looking forward to flying in on Southwest in a week and getting to see the C Concourse because it has been a while since I've flown in...

Lexy, is there any airline you don't have a picture of? haha...I suppose I could tell you I flew Saeta Airlines one time to Ecuador and you might not be able to post a picture of that haha...

Seriously though, you amaze me with the scope of your airline photography :good:

As for BNA, I am looking forward to flying in on Southwest in a week and getting to see the C Concourse because it has been a while since I've flown in...

Well, unfortunatly that isn't my picture above. That is someone else's from another site. But I do have an open invitation to do a photo shoot in HSV with Cargolux. I should seriously get down there for that. But I do appreciate your kind words. I love to hear that people enjoy my pictures. That makes it worth while to me.

• 2 weeks later...

CP article about Smyrna airport

See the article above about the Smyrna airport possibly expanding to include non-corporate passenger air travel. Does anyone think that this is a possibility? If so, who would have flights based there? I am reminded of Gary airport in the Chicago area, which has a few carriers but not really many flights.

On a side note, could anyone fill me in on the reference to protests from East Nashville residents? Now that I live in East Nashville, I do see a few flights overhead, but it is nothing compared to where I used to live, which was along a flight path to Chicago. You could literally see the planes line up over the lake and head down along my street to O'Hare. Personally, I thought that it was cool, but that's just me. I am intrigued that East Nashville residents would complain about the flights, but not Donelson residents. Is this a NIMBY problem? Any insights are appreciated.

CP article about Smyrna airport

See the article above about the Smyrna airport possibly expanding to include non-corporate passenger air travel. Does anyone think that this is a possibility? If so, who would have flights based there? I am reminded of Gary airport in the Chicago area, which has a few carriers but not really many flights.

On a side note, could anyone fill me in on the reference to protests from East Nashville residents? Now that I live in East Nashville, I do see a few flights overhead, but it is nothing compared to where I used to live, which was along a flight path to Chicago. You could literally see the planes line up over the lake and head down along my street to O'Hare. Personally, I thought that it was cool, but that's just me. I am intrigued that East Nashville residents would complain about the flights, but not Donelson residents. Is this a NIMBY problem? Any insights are appreciated.

Interesting article and one that garners my attention. The only airlines that could make a go there would be something like Allegiant Airlines or Skybus Airlines. Both are LCC's (Low Cost Carriers). They fly into smaller airports where there is usually either no airline presence at all for the msot part or very little. Allegiant flies MD80's and Skybus flies Airbus A319's. I can only imagine that they MNAA will try their damndest to shoot this down before it takes flight. But, IMO, the MNAA needs to get off its collective butts and do something to help improve the situations in their back yard. Quit hoarding all the cash and start spending it on spec buildings and airfield improvments.

I thought there was some plan to make the Smyrna airport a type of cargo airport like Alliance in Ft. Worth. I can't remember where/why I thought that, but this article says its focus is on GA and Corp. So I guess I heard wrong. It would seem perfectly suited for cargo with industrial around it like Alliance.

I thought there was some plan to make the Smyrna airport a type of cargo airport like Alliance in Ft. Worth. I can't remember where/why I thought that, but this article says its focus is on GA and Corp. So I guess I heard wrong. It would seem perfectly suited for cargo with industrial around it like Alliance.

BNA is "trying" to establish itself as a cargo destination although the MNAA spends more time talking and less time doing when it comes to this. I think that may have hurt MQY's chances at becoming a cargo airport. Plus the neighbors around MQY are not too keen on it becoming something that would require a constant stream of heavy jets flying over their houses.

Airfield construction update:

Work is ongoing on the approach and the runoff of runway 20 Right. They are extending the runoff of the runway and are rehabbing the portion that was originally there. Also, the old approach lights have be yanked out of the ground and are to be replaced with brand new lights I believe. The ILS (Instrument Landing System) is supposedly getting some work done to it as well.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Midwest Airlines is adding a 4th daily flight to Milwaukee beginning September 4th. 32 seat reegional jet service.

It hasn't been mentioned so I am glad you brought that up. Seems traffic is picking up between here and Milwaukee just a little bit. The new flight should do fine.

I was looking back through the renovation plans for the terminal earlier and I noticed something about the central security checkpoint that I hadn't read before...

A consolidated security checkpoint flanked by shimmering water walls and art wall, featuring 11 lanes and a million dollar view of the runway.

Ok so I like the idea a little bit better now because it sounds like it will look nice...but just wondering from someone who knows a little more about where that faces in relation to the runways...is that really going to be a "million dollar view"?? I just hope it doesnt end up as a big window that looks out over a bunch of parked planes...

...is that really going to be a "million dollar view"?? I just hope it doesnt end up as a big window that looks out over a bunch of parked planes...

To an aviation buff like myself and one who finds beauty and art in the airplane itself, yes it's going to be a great view. But to those that want to see them in operation, like take offs and landings......well yes and no.

You'll get to see quite a few things happening, but nothing earth shattering. Of course, I am sure this will be BEHIND the security checkpoints so the general public will be disrespectfully forbidden from going in there to photograph. LOL!

BTW, The Washington Redskins are in town now. They arrived this evening around 6pm on a United Boeing 757-200.

original.jpg

Edited by Lexy

According to the newspaper in Hartford, Conn., the Airbus A380 (the largest passenger jet in the world) will make a stop in Cincy (Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport) "sometime" in October. it will be part of a three stop USA tour the A380 will do from Hartford, Cincy, and San Fransisco. Nashville is not part of the flight plan. But in relation to this, I am making the trip up to Cincy to see this beast first hand since it's not that far of a drive.

Hartford Courant newspaper: http://www.courant.com/business/hc-airbus0...0,7311331.story

If you need a visualization, this is the A380:

Pic Courtesy of www.parisairshow2005.com

A380%20take-off_DSC_0100.jpg

Edited by Lexy

ya never know...northwest has some ordered...maybe they'll be friendly and use one from MEM haha

LOL! This IS Northwest we are talking about here. I would be willing to bet they put them in DTW and MSP. It just wouldn't fit their so-called "business model" if they didn't. LOL!!! I would love to see NW start some high dollar, high yeild cross Atlantic flights with a few of the new 787's but I doubt it would happen.

On a side note (rant): The only way BNA would see cross Atlantic flights on an aircraft that is "built" for a market like this would be on a 787. But, since we have no hub here for a legacy airline, we would have to rely on little connecting traffic and almost entirely O&D traffic for the flight to work. With that said, I doubt it will happen. Too bad to, but that's what you get for taking the easy road with Southwest here. This airport could certainly have more, it has and did fine in the past, and it could today. But as long as Southwest is as big here as it is, no legacy will give this market much of a chance. Especially on an international flight (unless it is subsidized by local business').

LOL! This IS Northwest we are talking about here. I would be willing to bet they put them in DTW and MSP. It just wouldn't fit their so-called "business model" if they didn't. LOL!!! I would love to see NW start some high dollar, high yeild cross Atlantic flights with a few of the new 787's but I doubt it would happen.

On a side note (rant): The only way BNA would see cross Atlantic flights on an aircraft that is "built" for a market like this would be on a 787. But, since we have no hub here for a legacy airline, we would have to rely on little connecting traffic and almost entirely O&D traffic for the flight to work. With that said, I doubt it will happen. Too bad to, but that's what you get for taking the easy road with Southwest here. This airport could certainly have more, it has and did fine in the past, and it could today. But as long as Southwest is as big here as it is, no legacy will give this market much of a chance. Especially on an international flight (unless it is subsidized by local business').

True. While I'm not really holding my breath, I have heard that the 787 has been mentioned as ideal for international routes out of MEM on Northwest. Primarily because it would make longer runs while having a pax size suitable for the MEM hub. For instance, the long pursued MEM-Tokyo route has been mentioned as possible with this basically because it's the right size...a 747 from MEM to Toyko would be excessive. I certainly see most of the 787s going to DTW or MSP, but I'm kinda curious to see if this could be an aircraft that NW uses to expand international ops from MEM. While Frontier's around, it could happen just because Northwest is hotheaded like that hahaha. I'm surprised American doesn't add some international ops from BNA. RDU still has a subsidized LHR or LGW flight, I believe.

I'm surprised American doesn't add some international ops from BNA. RDU still has a subsidized LHR or LGW flight, I believe.

Good points about the 787 and I agree. As for AA here at BNA, it's like pulling teeth from a baby. And the MNAA isn't much of a help either with their non-marketing arses.

O&D traffic. Origin and destination traffic. The passengers on a flight who are either boarding or deplaning at a particular stop, as opposed from those remaining on the plane to go to another destination.

I didn't know what this acronym stood for. Here's for the rest of you who didn't.

FYI:

August 25th, 2007 is the first night for the FedEx upgrade here. The daily FedEx A300 that comes in from Raleigh and/or Indianapolis will be replaced with the larger MD-11 aircraft. Nashville has outgrown the service that an A300 can provide and a larger aircraft is needed here due to demand. This means that when FedEx takes delivery of the Boeing 777 freighter, we could possibly see it's services here as FedEx is buying it to replace the MD-10/MD-11 fleet. Time will tell and that's a long way off.

Regardless, it's nice to have a tri-jet heavy flying into BNA daily.

We go from this:

original.jpg

To This:

original.jpg

Edited by Lexy