Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

maybe i'm confused. i was there today, and the thing i am thinking of is still there.

i am talking about the very tall, tanish colored tower right by the donelson rd/tarmac crossover. it is by far the tallest building on the whole property. sorry i can't post a pic, but it's late, and i'm lazy. i honestly am the laymen on this subject, so please, enlighten me. if you know which building i am talking about, and this is NOT the old control tower(but has been there since my memory serves me) then what is it? is this the current control tower? what is in the highest point of the terminal which has alot of windows and looks like a short control tower?

i'm sorry for all of the stupid questions, but i guess you could say i am a "casual" airport fan, lacking full understanding of how things actually work. yet i am still interested.

thanks for your help.

-Will

edit: just for curiosity's sake, where was the old control tower?

Let me see if I can help you here. The tanish tall tower is the Airport Control Tower and is still in use today. Albeit it is rather oldish, it still gets the job done but I have heard talk of a new tower in the near future.

The tower that sits on top of the terminal is the Ground Control Tower. It used to be operated by American Airlines when the hub was here but is now just office space for Airport Operations. It can be used as a Ground Control Tower if the need arises again though, as all the tables and console infrastructure supports are still there.

The Old Airport Control Tower was located just next to the observation lot off of Vultee Blvd and was an old brick structure that once had a glass gondola on top. That is the old tower that is now gone. It dated back to the old terminal (which is now gone).

Airport Control Tower:

original.jpg

Ground Control Tower:

original.jpg

Old Airport Control tower is on the far right of this shot:

original.jpg

thanks Lexy. i appreciate your explanation.

Hey no problem. Glad I could help.

UPDATE! Airbus A380 to Cincinnati-Northern KY International Airport

Nashcan, myself, and another member from the Nashville Aviation Photographers will be there.

It is scheduled to land around 8:30am Wednesday, October the 3rd at Cincy and will remain overnight (RON) until Thursday the 4th when it leaves for San Fransisco. This is the largest passenger jet in the world and it will be the sixth visit by it to the US. Following up the initial visits that were made in March 2007 to JFK, LAX, ORD, and DUL. Our group will be there for the landing and leave shortly after lunch. I'll post pictures when I get back. I can't tell you all the details, but you'll have to come back to see the pictures to see the surprises I will have.

Courtesy of: www.esa.int/images

A380_400.jpg

Edited by Lexy

• 2 weeks later...

hey, I posted this on the MEM forum, but it pertains to Nashville too...

BNA-EWR service on Continental is expected go all mainline as Continental drastically cuts its regional jet presence at EWR. It's nice that BNA and MEM will go mainline for at least some Continental flights...

I agree it's real nice. CO still operates this station with CO employees as opposed to Express Jet employees so they will certainly like the change I bet. Now, this works as an advantage for MEM as it connects two Skyteam hubs together with capable aircraft. So it's really a win-win for both.

Hey Lexy...

I would like your opinion...and this may be a little long and disjointed, but here goes.

I've been in several of the larger airports in the US and I've enjoyed some of the "extras" that a few provide, specifically all the great shops in the Minneapolis airport. What are the chances BNA gets more retail like some of the larger airports?

Also...I've heard alot of friends of mine that live in larger cities say they actually love the size of BNA...it's easy to get around and get in and out of. All that tells me is that we are small and easier to get around in because of the lack of numbers compared to Atlanta, LA or Chicago. I personally love small airports too because of the ease, but I'm thinking Nashville really wants its airport to grow...and with that growth will come longer waits and discouragement for passengers in a hurry.

How long til you think BNA gets "too big"...if ever?

Hey Lexy...

I would like your opinion...and this may be a little long and disjointed, but here goes.

I've been in several of the larger airports in the US and I've enjoyed some of the "extras" that a few provide, specifically all the great shops in the Minneapolis airport. What are the chances BNA gets more retail like some of the larger airports?

Also...I've heard alot of friends of mine that live in larger cities say they actually love the size of BNA...it's easy to get around and get in and out of. All that tells me is that we are small and easier to get around in because of the lack of numbers compared to Atlanta, LA or Chicago. I personally love small airports too because of the ease, but I'm thinking Nashville really wants its airport to grow...and with that growth will come longer waits and discouragement for passengers in a hurry.

How long til you think BNA gets "too big"...if ever?

Retail-

That's happening already. With the current terminal renovations, there are a number of "larger airport" shops that will be coming into the airport. I am not sure right off the top of my head what some of them are, but I know that it is a big difference in what we currently have on the concourses. But, the airport traffic has got to continue to grow in order to get some of the larger shops that are found in bigger airports. There also has to be more layover possiblities because it is the people that layover at an airport that spend the most money at one. For that to happen, there has to be more connections.

Size-

I doubt it will be in my lifetime when we'll see BNA as being too small. The grand master plan of the airport calls for a second terminal east of the current one that will be connected by some sort of "setup". You'll see that happen before you'll see people complain about the crowded terminal at BNA. The whole plan out there is to re-route Donaldson Pike around the airport and have it turn northward over by the Una area in Antioch. Place a fifth runway parallel to the current 20Left-2Right runway and then put a second terminal building inbetween the new runway and 20L-2R. That's the 'gist' of the master plan. I doubt you'll see any overcrowding at this airport for the foreseeable future unless Nashville hits a growth spurt like nobody has ever seen around here before. LOL!

Overall-

I would challenge anyone to find me an airport in a similar sized city right now in the USA that can match what BNA offers the traveller inside the terminal and in some cases out on the runway. I can only think of a few right off the top of my head that are up there with us in offerings, guest comfort, ease of use, ammenities, and destinations. Those that are above us are typically large hubs, so it's natural they have more to offer. We should be proud to have an airport as clean, nice, and modern as we do here. People from outside of Nashville that come here ALWAYS have something good to say about it and that's a testament to the people out there and the people of Nashville. It should be a center of pride for the community. Remember, it's the main international gateway into this city and first impressions last a lifetime with most people.

Edited by Lexy

Retail-

That's happening already. With the current terminal renovations, there are a number of "larger airport" shops that will be coming into the airport. I am not sure right off the top of my head what some of them are, but I know that it is a big difference in what we currently have on the concourses. But, the airport traffic has got to continue to grow in order to get some of the larger shops that are found in bigger airports. There also has to be more layover possiblities because it is the people that layover at an airport that spend the most money at one. For that to happen, there has to be more connections.

Size-

I doubt it will be in my lifetime when we'll see BNA as being too small. The grand master plan of the airport calls for a second terminal east of the current one that will be connected by some sort of "setup". You'll see that happen before you'll see people complain about the crowded terminal at BNA. The whole plan out there is to re-route Donaldson Pike around the airport and have it turn northward over by the Una area in Antioch. Place a fifth runway parallel to the current 20Left-2Right runway and then put a second terminal building inbetween the new runway and 20L-2R. That's the 'gist' of the master plan. I doubt you'll see any overcrowding at this airport for the foreseeable future unless Nashville hits a growth spurt like nobody has ever seen around here before. LOL!

Overall-

I would challenge anyone to find me an airport in a similar sized city right now in the USA that can match what BNA offers the traveller inside the terminal and in some cases out on the runway. I can only think of a few right off the top of my head that are up there with us in offerings, guest comfort, ease of use, ammenities, and destinations. Those that are above us are typically large hubs, so it's natural they have more to offer. We should be proud to have an airport as clean, nice, and modern as we do here. People from outside of Nashville that come here ALWAYS have something good to say about it and that's a testament to the people out there and the people of Nashville. It should be a center of pride for the community. Remember, it's the main international gateway into this city and first impressions last a lifetime with most people.

I agree...it's a really nice airport and easy to get around in and easy to understand the parking system.

I didn't know that about the terminal expansion. So, this airport could easily get gigantic one day.

I agree...it's a really nice airport and easy to get around in and easy to understand the parking system.

I didn't know that about the terminal expansion. So, this airport could easily get gigantic one day.

I wouldn't say "gigantic", but what I would say is very large. Or large enough to support this community for years. I'm not sure what its current 'critical mass' is so to guess would be unwise at this point.

Really rare aircraft day today at the airport. I'm just glad I got the memo! LOL!!!

First off, Mark Cuban's new toy. Yep the owner of the Dallas Mavericks has a new plane for his basketball team. They had a proving flight into BNA this afternoon and I caught a glimpse of the Boeing 767-277 on finals for runway 2 Center.

original.jpg

And then the trainer aircraft, a Boeing 737-600, for the US Navy showed up just before sunset. This is a really rare plane to see!

original.jpg

Next weekend, October 25-28th is the Airlift-Tanker Association Convention her ein town. And with that means copious amounts of military aircraft. Everything from C-130's to KC-10's are due to arrive next week out at the airport. If you like that kind of thing, I suggest you make it out there for the arrivals. I know i'll be there.

Then, on Saturday the 27th a Hawaii Air 767 is going to be here. These show up about once everyother year or so so seeing it here is rare and really cool!

Next weekend, October 25-28th is the Airlift-Tanker Association Convention her ein town. And with that means copious amounts of military aircraft. Everything from C-130's to KC-10's are due to arrive next week out at the airport. If you like that kind of thing, I suggest you make it out there for the arrivals. I know i'll be there.

Then, on Saturday the 27th a Hawaii Air 767 is going to be here. These show up about once everyother year or so so seeing it here is rare and really cool!

Sounds like fun. Thanks for the heads up.

I was just reading that JetBlue would be discontinuing service to BNA on Jan. 6.

You are correct. I, along with some others, knew this about a month or so ago. Their service wasn't needed here and after the crap on Valentine's Day, I know for a fact that a number of business' who used JetBlue to get to NY pulled out on them. I f I was Jetblue, I wouldn't expect the MNAA to come crawling back for them in a couple of years. On the contrary, I think it will be the other way around or not at all.

They still have their maintenance here, so we'll still get to see the planes often.

You are correct. I, along with some others, knew this about a month or so ago. Their service wasn't needed here and after the crap on Valentine's Day, I know for a fact that a number of business' who used JetBlue to get to NY pulled out on them. I f I was Jetblue, I wouldn't expect the MNAA to come crawling back for them in a couple of years. On the contrary, I think it will be the other way around or not at all.

They still have their maintenance here, so we'll still get to see the planes often.

That's kinda harsh...they had a rough Valentine's Day, yet they are still ranked as the top American carrier, so they're apparently doing something right. They may not have worked in Nashville, and that's too bad. However, I don't think they should feel too bad if the MNAA board isn't begging them to come back. People here in Boston love B6, and there are plenty of other stations that do and other cities that want B6 to come. It just varies from place to place. However, once the legacies start jacking the prices up again, you may see the MNAA warming up to a LCC on the BNA-NYC routes.

IMHO, the reason that JetBlue failed here was that they didn't commit to us enough. Only one destination? I don't think it's Nashville's fault that we didn't flock to them. The only issue is Chicken vs. Egg. Do they add several routes for us before we show we'll support one route, or was doing one route and seeing its failure evidence enough that more wouldn't have worked. The issue I heard from many people is - 'Why would I want to fly NE to New York to fly back south or west to X city?'

NY area airports to BNA flights each day are as follows:

American Airlines (mainline): 3 flights daily

Delta Connection: 2 flights daily

Conntinental Express: 6 flights daily

For a market of over 1.7-2 million possible pax, that's pretty good considering it's straight O&D and not connecting flights.

That's kinda harsh...they had a rough Valentine's Day, yet they are still ranked as the top American carrier, so they're apparently doing something right. They may not have worked in Nashville, and that's too bad. However, I don't think they should feel too bad if the MNAA board isn't begging them to come back. People here in Boston love B6, and there are plenty of other stations that do and other cities that want B6 to come. It just varies from place to place. However, once the legacies start jacking the prices up again, you may see the MNAA warming up to a LCC on the BNA-NYC routes.

NB, the prices haven't came down on the legacies my friend. B6 posed no problems for them from the get go. Why drop your prices when they competition isn't taking your marketshare??

Boston loves them because they fly to a copious amount of places from there. Comparing them(BOS) to BNA is apples to oranges in it's most elementary form. If the other stations of this world want B6, so be it. But whatever, to each their own I suppose. Like I said on A.Net, it is a mistake to leave this market now and not give it a fighting chance. They'll regret leaving in the long run.

And they are hardly doing anything right. They are losing money, losing marketshare, and now losing stations because their management is jacked up. You do realize they have stopped delivery of any new aircraft and have halted growth in their system because of financial worries within the company don't you? That's not a good sign for a young airline trying to make it's name bigger.

Edited by Lexy

NB, the prices haven't came down on the legacies my friend. B6 posed no problems for them from the get go. Why drop your prices when they competition isn't taking your marketshare??

Boston loves them because they fly to a copious amount of places from there. Comparing them(BOS) to BNA is apples to oranges in it's most elementary form. If the other stations of this world want B6, so be it. But whatever, to each their own I suppose. Like I said on A.Net, it is a mistake to leave this market now and not give it a fighting chance. They'll regret leaving in the long run.

And they are hardly doing anything right. They are losing money, losing marketshare, and now losing stations because their management is jacked up. You do realize they have stopped delivery of any new aircraft and have halted growth in their system because of financial worries within the company don't you? That's not a good sign for a young airline trying to make it's name bigger.

Consider this...Delta is competing with JetBlue on the BNA-JFK route, so when B6 is charging $207.30 for the flight r/t (11/14-11/17), Delta charges the same thing...now, when JetBlue is gone and Delta has the route to itself, do you really think that is going to remain at the same price level?

The B6 love goes beyond just its hubs and focus cities. As I mentioned before, they didn't become one of the highest-ranked American carriers on service through New York and Boston alone. My family in New Orleans loves flying on them, and the only destination offered is to JFK. Furthermore, the MSY flights are doing farely well and have been around for quite some time. Like I said, though, it's hit or miss in certain markets, and apparently BNA was a miss. Considering the low load factors from BNA, I really don't see where you're getting that B6 is going to be full of regret...obviously they've given BNA over a year to prove itself.

Losing money is something many airlines were doing over the past few quarters...however, as you corrected yourself, JetBlue posted a profit for the 3Q...and even when it was posting losses, they paled in comparison to the legacies (i.e. JetBlue posted losses last year ranging from $500,000 in the third quarter to $32 million in the first when legacies were losing billions). Furthermore, how are you saying they are hardly doing anything right? They came up with an entirely new system of passenger rights after the Valentine's Day Massacre at JFK, they got a new CEO, they are getting rid of poor performing stations and moving into more lucrative markets (i.e. the Caribbean)...i don't think I'd call that a halt in growth...it's a change in plans.

Consider this...Delta is competing with JetBlue on the BNA-JFK route, so when B6 is charging $207.30 for the flight r/t (11/14-11/17), Delta charges the same thing...now, when JetBlue is gone and Delta has the route to itself, do you really think that is going to remain at the same price level?

You don't read what I write. DL never dropped their prices on the route.

The B6 love goes beyond just its hubs and focus cities. As I mentioned before, they didn't become one of the highest-ranked American carriers on service through New York and Boston alone. My family in New Orleans loves flying on them, and the only destination offered is to JFK. Furthermore, the MSY flights are doing farely well and have been around for quite some time. Like I said, though, it's hit or miss in certain markets, and apparently BNA was a miss. Considering the low load factors from BNA, I really don't see where you're getting that B6 is going to be full of regret...obviously they've given BNA over a year to prove itself.

New Orleans is a destination in and of itself. Again, comparing it to Nashville is apples to oranges and a stretch at best. Considering that NY is the single LARGEST domestic market out of BNA, the fact that B6 didn't capture it is their fault. You have to know what you ar e talking about here before you can comment on it NB. Nashville as a metro is growing and growing fast unlike some places. It was wise for B6 to come here and get in early to capture a following. Problem is, they got here and did nothing once they were here. Loads were an issue form time to time, but the yields are what killed these flights. Take and look and you would see that to be the truth. Furthermore, and on a more personal note, you don't live here. You don't have a clue as to the marketing that B6 did when they got here, nor the lack of marketing that happened once they were here. For you to comment on this is just pure speculation, and personal opinion, on your part and nothing else. If I was you, I would stop while I was ahead. You don't open a store to much fan fair and then after a couple of months, stop advertising your pressence. A year was hardly enough time to make it work when effort wasn't given in the first place.

Losing money is something many airlines were doing over the past few quarters...however, as you corrected yourself, JetBlue posted a profit for the 3Q...and even when it was posting losses, they paled in comparison to the legacies (i.e. JetBlue posted losses last year ranging from $500,000 in the third quarter to $32 million in the first when legacies were losing billions). Furthermore, how are you saying they are hardly doing anything right? They came up with an entirely new system of passenger rights after the Valentine's Day Massacre at JFK, they got a new CEO, they are getting rid of poor performing stations and moving into more lucrative markets (i.e. the Caribbean)...i don't think I'd call that a halt in growth...it's a change in plans.

Well, if they are closing stations in the US, then that is a reallignment. Hardly growth when all they do is apply for the routes but don't fly them.

Edited by Lexy

You don't read what I write. DL never dropped their prices on the route.

New Orleans is a destination in and of itself. Again, comparing it to Nashville is apples to oranges and a stretch at best. Considering that NY is the single LARGEST domestic market out of BNA, the fact that B6 didn't capture it is their fault. You have to know what you ar e talking about here before you can comment on it NB. Nashville as a metro is growing and growing fast unlike some places. It was wise for B6 to come here and get in early to capture a following. Problem is, they got here and did nothing once they were here. Loads were an issue form time to time, but the yields are what killed these flights. Take and look and you would see that to be the truth. Furthermore, and on a more personal note, you don't live here. You don't have a clue as to the marketing that B6 did when they got here, nor the lack of marketing that happened once they were here. For you to comment on this is just pure speculation, and personal opinion, on your part and nothing else. If I was you, I would stop while I was ahead. You don't open a store to much fan fair and then after a couple of months, stop advertising your pressence. A year was hardly enough time to make it work when effort wasn't given in the first place.

Well, if they are closing stations in the US, then that is a reallignment. Hardly growth when all they do is apply for the routes but don't fly them.

Haha, whatever you want to believe. I do read what you write...you obviously don't read the paper. Check out today's Tennessean. Prior to JetBlue entering the Nashville market, the average BNA-NYC flight was $373...that went down to $177 for Delta...I think you'd call that Delta cutting its prices.

I don't think New Orleans is too much of a high-profile destination these days after Katrina. It's recovering, so it really isn't much of a stretch to place New Orleans and Nashville into the same boat. The added fact that NYC is one of the top destinations from New Orleans is also an added similarity between the two. Furthermore, I keep hearing this blame that JetBlue didn