Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

Lexy, is BNA utilizing LED technology now?

It's possible. I don't know for sure and my friends at the airport are unsure what the new lights are. It is noticably brighter on the runway, but that may be dueto the fact it was shut down for so long. I do know that both approaches to 20R and 2L have new light towers, lights, and sets in place now.

Went out to the airport to share some time with friends and fellow aviation photographers for the afternoon. We were there in part, to capture a somewhat rare sight out there today. A Continental Airlines 757-300. It was the team charter for the Houston Texans and was here briefly this afternoon before returning back to Houston. It was a great sight to see this airplane here as the '300 series 757 is somewhat rare to find in Nashville. The '200 series is pretty common, but the '300 is not here.

Some images from the day out at the observation lot:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

It is worth mentioning that FedEx is possibly going to expand in Nashville considerably.

Here's a link to the article from our friend, Richard Lawson in The City Paper about the plans. This could be really big for the airport and surrounding area!

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=58063

Hey Michael,

Told you I would get back inthe groove here. I see you found the article I was telling you about. Keep us updated about any progress. I think the facility would be where the old Days Inn was located as they just bulldozed itin the last couple of weeks.

Good seeing you and Casey yesterday.

Hey Michael,

Told you I would get back inthe groove here. I see you found the article I was telling you about. Keep us updated about any progress. I think the facility would be where the old Days Inn was located as they just bulldozed itin the last couple of weeks.

Good seeing you and Casey yesterday.

Always a pleasure to see you Ron!

When I think about it, 500,000 sq. ft. is ALOT of footage and I don't know if that tract of land is big enough for that. I am thinking about them bulldozing a whole new lot out for them somewhere. I may be wrong on that though.

Ok I have a stupid question that I feel like i should already know. What does BNA stand for. (Something) Nashville Airport? Also where is all of the retail going inisde the airport? I was in there the other day to pick up my father and i didnt see anything. Obviously, I wasnt able to go beyond the security checkpoint so it would have to be close to the gates right?

Ok I have a stupid question that I feel like i should already know. What does BNA stand for. (Something) Nashville Airport? Also where is all of the retail going inisde the airport? I was in there the other day to pick up my father and i didnt see anything. Obviously, I wasnt able to go beyond the security checkpoint so it would have to be close to the gates right?

Berry Field Nashville Airport (BNA) Berry Field is its original name.

The retail is behind security screening on the airside of the airport.

There are some rumors flying around about Delta and "someone" else merging. I am vigourously trying to get proof of these being true. I have some connnections at delta HQ in Atlanta that are working with me on this. To shed some light on it, it will involve (supposedly) Nashville to a certain degree. Also, a fellow poster on here has brought the same rumors to my attnetion in a private message. I'll try my hardest to keep everyone posted.

There are some rumors flying around about Delta and "someone" else merging. I am vigourously trying to get proof of these being true. I have some connnections at delta HQ in Atlanta that are working with me on this. To shed some light on it, it will involve (supposedly) Nashville to a certain degree. Also, a fellow poster on here has brought the same rumors to my attnetion in a private message. I'll try my hardest to keep everyone posted.

maybe this is related

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...delta_1121.html

By RUSSELL GRANTHAM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 11/20/07

Delta Air Lines' pilots will work to block a New York hedge fund's "poisonous vision" for a merger with United Airlines, the leader of the union said Tuesday.

Union Chairman Lee Moak told members in a letter posted on the union's Web site that the group views the proposal by Pardus Capital Management as a hostile takeover attempt akin to US Airways' bid for Delta late last year.

"Pardus' demand for a merger between Delta and United is a poisonous vision built upon an artificial timeline and focused primarily on a financial transaction," said Moak. "As we demonstrated in the case of the US Airways assault on our company, we can stop a consolidating event that is not in our best interests, and we will treat the demands by Pardus no less seriously that those presented by US Airways last year."

Pardus Capital proposed last week that Delta merge with United Airlines in a stock-swap deal. The New York firm, which owns 7 million Delta shares and 5.6 million United shares, has been meeting with investors to drum up support for its plan.

Delta and United executives have both said they believe the industry needs to consolidate, but both carriers say they are not in informal or formal merger talks.

maybe this is related

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...delta_1121.html

By RUSSELL GRANTHAM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 11/20/07

Delta Air Lines' pilots will work to block a New York hedge fund's "poisonous vision" for a merger with United Airlines, the leader of the union said Tuesday.

Union Chairman Lee Moak told members in a letter posted on the union's Web site that the group views the proposal by Pardus Capital Management as a hostile takeover attempt akin to US Airways' bid for Delta late last year.

"Pardus' demand for a merger between Delta and United is a poisonous vision built upon an artificial timeline and focused primarily on a financial transaction," said Moak. "As we demonstrated in the case of the US Airways assault on our company, we can stop a consolidating event that is not in our best interests, and we will treat the demands by Pardus no less seriously that those presented by US Airways last year."

Pardus Capital proposed last week that Delta merge with United Airlines in a stock-swap deal. The New York firm, which owns 7 million Delta shares and 5.6 million United shares, has been meeting with investors to drum up support for its plan.

Delta and United executives have both said they believe the industry needs to consolidate, but both carriers say they are not in informal or formal merger talks.

Close, but it's not United.

The scuttlbut I'd heard was NWA...

That could be an great mix w/ NWA's position in Asia and Delta's random destinations and their strong European presence

In the US they might have to decide to eliminate some Central hubs (Cinci,. Memphis, Detroit, Mineapolis) and they're both already in SkyTeam, so it seems like it would be an easy transition. I don't think the Feds would have an issue with them merging like they would have in ye olden days.

What I fail to see is how BNA fits in

The scuttlbut I'd heard was NWA...

That could be an great mix w/ NWA's position in Asia and Delta's random destinations and their strong European presence

In the US they might have to decide to eliminate some Central hubs (Cinci,. Memphis, Detroit, Mineapolis) and they're both already in SkyTeam, so it seems like it would be an easy transition. I don't think the Feds would have an issue with them merging like they would have in ye olden days.

What I fail to see is how BNA fits in

Well unions pose the real problems with merging those two airlines, but you are right about two things for sure. One or two mid-country hubs would have to go. There would be none of this "reliever airport" crap about it. I don't think we really need to go there about what hubs that would be but Cincy is certainly one i'll leave the other for you to determine. Northwest is the airline in question here and I have heard that from more than one or two persons FWIW.

There is also the rumor that Northwest has tossed around the idea of moving their HQ here from Minny due to rising business cost in that metro. Supposedly the Chamber sent them a business package and invite for tours. But again, that is just a rumor and nothing else.

How BNA would fit into that merger rumor is simple if you know the airline industry. The rumor is, and that's all it is, is that if NW and DL merge, BNA would become a Base for DL. What's a base you ask? Well it's simply a place where they base aircraft and personnel from. There would be a large presence of pilots, F/A's, and even some maintenance crews that would live in the metro as opposed to just "flying through" like they do now. I should stress this is NOT a hub. It is just a Crew Base and nothing else. We wouldn't see a major increase in any flights, just possibly see different equipment on some flights. But the number of flights and all would stay the same most likely.

I always thought NW was an attractive takeover target for Delta or US Airways....I just don't understand why people didn't jump on this while NW was in bankrupcy. It is going to be very hard to scuttle MSP and DTW as hubs, but obviously they would want to keep one, and dump Cincy.

Also, NW still flys DC9s!!! I think they are slowy replacing them with E190s, but acquiring their very old fleet would be a major concern, considering DL doesn't have any of their own orders.

NW does have some attractive qualities, namely slots at key Asian airports, but it seems like there would be a lot of fat to trim in this merger, as both airlines have serious unresolved issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Cancun flights are running like normal again so that's cool. Wnet for a short walk inside Concourse C last weekend and I must sy, it was very nice inside. Cool lighting, comfy seats, and nice atmosphere! I look forward to work ending in there at some point.

While at the airport I spotted a new livery Delta 757 that was the charter aircraft for the Titans. Got few pics of it, but haven't posted them on PBase yet. I do have them on my Flickr site:

2116117433_0881022bdf_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today is the last day for JetBlue and with that means higher prices to fly to NYC. No big deal as the "higher" prices didn't stop people from flying there in the first place, so why should this mean anything now? NYC is the number #1 domestic destination from BNA. In any regard, they will still be flying in their E190's for maintenance starting Tuesday and continuing till further notice. So we will still see their planes here, just not in passenger transportation purposes.

Today is the last day for JetBlue and with that means higher prices to fly to NYC. No big deal as the "higher" prices didn't stop people from flying there in the first place, so why should this mean anything now? NYC is the number #1 domestic destination from BNA. In any regard, they will still be flying in their E190's for maintenance starting Tuesday and continuing till further notice. So we will still see their planes here, just not in passenger transportation purposes.

That's too bad, and I'm surprised JetBlue is ending this service. I expected Nashville to become a big player in their routes.

What was the problem in the first place? Not enough convenient service, wrong time slots?

I thought jetBlue would make it here too. It probably didn't help them that for many people headed to New York, especially the business-types headed to Manhattan, LaGuardia and Newark are generally considered more convenient than Kennedy... and it didn't really make much sense to connect from BNA through JFK on them, since that's out of the way for pretty much all of their destinations save Boston.

Then again, I'm just guessin'... maybe someone else is more in the know.

That's too bad, and I'm surprised JetBlue is ending this service. I expected Nashville to become a big player in their routes.

What was the problem in the first place? Not enough convenient service, wrong time slots?

Both, and their lack of promotion in a market that is heavily dominated by Southwest Airlines and American Airlines. They shot themselves in the foot with it and that's too bad. But oh well. If their financials don't start looking up and their stock start tracking higher, they won't be around much longer anyway. They'll get bought out by someone.

• 3 weeks later...

The British Royal AirForce is flying in a special jet to Nashville for some service. It will be here for two months and is quite rare to see. It is a Nimrod MR2 and will be here, like I said, for 2 months as they do work on it at the airport. You should head out that way at some point to see if you can catch a glimpse of it. It's really neat looking.

Hopefully I can get some shots of it before it leaves.