Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

Just a heads up on Northwest here in Nashville. They have added a second flight on the Embraer 175 into here. The first flights began back in August to Minneapolis, now they have added a flight to Detroit on one of the E175's. That is a total of two daily flights on the Embraer 175 for us.

Northwest Airlink (Compass Airlines) Embraer 175 here at Nashville this afternoon.

2237052627_46689dc591_o.jpg

Nashville is likely to be the main hub for future SWA flights to the Florida Panhandle to either KPNS/Pensacola Regional, KVPS/Okaloosa Co. Regional, or the future new and WAY larger KPFN/Panama City-Bay County Int'l. I honestly hope KPFN, because that is going to be the largest airport built from scratch in the country since SW Florida Int'l in the 1980's in Fort Myers. Also, it'll likely be a true international airport with flights to Canada, Mexico, and Latin America, and from what I've heard, possibly Germany and the United Kingdom. Many people drive the 450 miles to Panama City, so it'll actually be cheaper to fly on SWA from Nashville.

WOW! Please elaborate because I don't see Southwest going into any of those markets for a while. There just isn't enough demand for it. Pensacola is the long shot here, but the other two just aren't big enough yet. Southwest likes to be able to turn 20-25 flights a day at a station and I don't think they could do that at Panama City or at Okaloosa. If they did, the yeilds would be pathetic.

As for the European routes, well, I wouldn't hold my breath. But who knows!

WOW! Please elaborate because I don't see Southwest going into any of those markets for a while. There just isn't enough demand for it. Pensacola is the long shot here, but the other two just aren't big enough yet. Southwest likes to be able to turn 20-25 flights a day at a station and I don't think they could do that at Panama City or at Okaloosa. If they did, the yeilds would be pathetic.

As for the European routes, well, I wouldn't hold my breath. But who knows!

Hey Lexy,

I could see Panama City in the Spring and Summer. That would be a pretty good market. There are huge numbers of people going down to the beach from here. Its about an 8 hour drive there and if I could save several hours driving I would.

I dont know anything about Okaloosa.

Hey Lexy,

I could see Panama City in the Spring and Summer. That would be a pretty good market. There are huge numbers of people going down to the beach from here. Its about an 8 hour drive there and if I could save several hours driving I would.

I dont know anything about Okaloosa.

Yeah but Ron, Southwest doesn't do that type of flying. Seasonal flying isn't in their vocabulary. They either fly there or they don't and like I said, yeilds from BNA to PNS would be horrible thus why we will not see those flights. They would have to fill planes for atleast 20-25 flights out of Panama City and I don't think they can do that right now. Panama City is more of a regional retreat as opposed to a national destination.

I mean it's not TOTALLY out of the realm of possiblities, but they have other, larger, cities that they have yet to see service. Places that would generate alot more capital for them in the long run and I would think you would see service start there first in those places. Places like Minneapolis, New York City proper, Charlotte, etc. Southwest has even so much as said they are slowing growth and starting to cut routes that don't make money. That area of the country just doesn't have the demand for their style of flying YET. It will at some point, but not now. If it did, they would be flying there. We'll see though, I may be totally off base about it.

Edited by Lexy

Let's do some pictures from the airport. How about it?

These are recent so.....enjoy!

American Airlines Boeing 757

2226754779_551c88e703_o.jpg

US Airways Express Embraer 175

2224827020_b834501fe5_o.jpg

Northwest Airlines Airbus A320

2224615706_194bf5da8a_o.jpg

Southwest Airlines Boeing 737-700

2224634708_dc0ee18f2a_o.jpg

Frontier Airlines Airbus A319

2223918103_c5ae6587f4_o.jpg

China Airlines Cargo Boeing 747-400

2239472551_5352a2cfe0_o.jpg

"POTUS" was in town today checking out damage form the tornado's earlier this week. "POTUS" stand for President of the United States for those that didn't know. LOL!!! EIther way, Ron (smeagolesfree) and I were treated to a fantastic departure of Air Force One from Royal Parkway!

Ron, I expect to see your pics too!!!

2250983409_2e174119bd_o.jpg

2250968569_5c24981246_o.jpg

2251797800_87171a409f_o.jpg

2251807488_71d953d3c2_o.jpg

Some updated pics from the jetport (aka, the airport)!

We had a mini-airshow at the airport with 6 US Marines Harrier jets and three Canadian Air Force F-18's there at the same time!

The UK Royal Air Force Nimrod MRA4 that is in town for testing. This is VERY rare to see here in the states and of course, Nashville is where it can be found.

2275480893_7fd653ae4d_o.jpg

Canada Air Force CF-18A with a tail celebrating 25 years of CF-18 Hornet serivce in the Canadian Air Force! This was another rare sight to see here in Nashville.

2272331147_dc716ffe37_o.jpg

Canada Air Force CF-18B two seater version.

2273155866_4e881ff6c6_o.jpg

The cockpit of the CF-18B

Front:

2272374603_36605a4a65_o.jpg

Back:

2273176900_32dddcc989_o.jpg

US Marine Harriers

2273104988_7cf16f1a29_o.jpg

2272288723_314f5c2b85_o.jpg

Interesting article in today's TENNESSEAN about the many new dining options now opening at BNA. Some excellent choices for an airport. Here is link to article.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...3/1004/FEATURES

The interior terminal renovations seem to be proceeding well. Any ideas when the central security checkpoint will begin operating?

I brought in a couple of flight attendants yesterday and they were needless to say amazed at what has happened at the airport. They thought it was one of the cooler airports in the country as far as the upgrade. I have not been on to see but I owuld bet it is not your typical airport any longer.

2 Tooties is great. One inside the gates and one out.

Great shots Lexy!!!!!

Why were all of the fighters in town?? Thats pretty unusual.

Cross country refueling stops for the US guys. Tech stops for our Candian friends who were on their way back to Canada from Key West.

I have been in the airport and IT IS NOT the same place it used to be. Really contemporary and modern looking inside. Great looking place and one of the best, if not the best, in the country among cities our size.

Edited by Lexy

I have been in the airport and IT IS NOT the same place it used to be. Really contemporary and modern looking inside. Great looking place and one of the best, if not the best, in the country among cities our size.

I've got to disagree with you here. While the long overdue upgrades are an improvement, I think they really "missed" with some of the upgrades. Tootsies and some of the other restaurants are great, but the overall design is a weak attempt at a modern, sleek design. Seems like the skimped in a lot of areas. The area with Swett's and Provence looks like a cafeteria. Even the concourse skylights are fairly minimal with only a few placed here and there. With all the low ceilings, I still feel somewhat claustrophobic in there. I wish they had realy opened the place up more. The carpeting, while better than the tile, is not attractive. Except for the new food areas, the place still has the feel of an 80's era airport. The bathrooms are completely embarrassing. They should have re-done those first. Nashville has the worst airport bathrooms of any airport I've been in the last 10 years. Don't get me, wrong, I'm glad to see improvements, but I feel like Nashville really missed a chance to do something great. I suspect they didn't want to spend the money. I mean, look at what cities like Ft. Lauderdale, Baltimore, Orlando, Tampa, even Manchester, NH have done with their airports. Nashville needs to wake up and REALLY improve their airport.

I've got to disagree with you here. While the long overdue upgrades are an improvement, I think they really "missed" with some of the upgrades. Tootsies and some of the other restaurants are great, but the overall design is a weak attempt at a modern, sleek design. Seems like the skimped in a lot of areas. The area with Swett's and Provence looks like a cafeteria. Even the concourse skylights are fairly minimal with only a few placed here and there. With all the low ceilings, I still feel somewhat claustrophobic in there. I wish they had realy opened the place up more. The carpeting, while better than the tile, is not attractive. Except for the new food areas, the place still has the feel of an 80's era airport. The bathrooms are completely embarrassing. They should have re-done those first. Nashville has the worst airport bathrooms of any airport I've been in the last 10 years. Don't get me, wrong, I'm glad to see improvements, but I feel like Nashville really missed a chance to do something great. I suspect they didn't want to spend the money. I mean, look at what cities like Ft. Lauderdale, Baltimore, Orlando, Tampa, even Manchester, NH have done with their airports. Nashville needs to wake up and REALLY improve their airport.

Well ultimatly, the airlines foot the bill on renovations for the most part here or anywhere. Would you like paying higher plane ticket prices so you can have a different color carpet? For an airport that handles almost 10 million people, we are jus tfine IMO. Can't expect everyone to be happy as well.