Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

Here is something I found over at SkyScraper City courtesy of Insighter. I tried to get the link off the Tennessean's website, but it is archived so I can't get to it. Hope no one minds. Also, Insighter mentioned something about the Harding Place extension to I-40 around the airport. Anyone have any more information on the extension or this new development? Is the extension under construction already? Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I thought it was relavent to the airport.

By CHAS SISK

A isn't used by any major airlines so that would be why it is the least "pretty" of the three concourses. With the exception of Frontier, all that use it is regionals and they aren't about to foot the bill to have it upgraded.

The renovations were funded in part by funds from the government and airlines (mainly American and Southwest). The MNAA funded it through bonds I believe as well. Don't quote me on that, but I think they had something of that type to fund it.

Funny, last time that I checked MNAA funded all terminal renovations through PFCs and landing fees. I had no idea that "the government" (of which I'm a part) sent any of my tax dollars to MNAA.

Funny, last time that I checked MNAA funded all terminal renovations through PFCs and landing fees. I had no idea that "the government" (of which I'm a part) sent any of my tax dollars to MNAA.

That's totally possible. Hence why I basically said in my post I wasn't sure about it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Southwest's newest non-stop destination from Nashville starts up on May 10th. Norfolk will give travelers an option to the east coast and the various defense based industries in that area.

On the subject of Southwest Airlines, they recently introduced their newest livery, "Illinois One" done up with the Illinois state flag. It was in Nashville recently and here's a shot or two of it.

Click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/perspectiveph...phy/2445884752/

Sweet! And admission is free? Wow! Went to the Smyrna Air Show earlier this year. I need to post some pictures. Thanks for the heads up HSVTiger!

edit: Ok, I promised some pictures. Well they are not mine, but a very good friend's photos who went with me to the air show. He's a MUCH better photographer than myself and has a MUCH better camera! Hope you enjoy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/remineur/SmyrnaAirshow

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that we froze our rear ends off due to a freak cold front that Sunday!

Edited by timmay143

• 4 weeks later...

Goodyear Blimp will be in town on May29th and May 30th. Keep an eye to the sky as I have received word from Goodyear Aerospace they will be flying around both days. Should be able to see them landing and takeing off out at Smyrna Airport both days.

Edited by Lexy

i read in another thread about fedex purchasing some land adjacent to the airport. anyone have any idea what the plans with that land are?

eric b

You are correct in that FedEx has some land around the airport. The thing is, I don't have a clue what they are going to do with it.

Just flew into and out of BNA over the past week a couple times so I thought I would update the renovations. The consolidated security is partially finished by what I could tell...by that I mean you still have two options, one that feeds directly into the C concourse and another new one that opens up straight towards that window overlooking the runway area. In the new one, it is labeled as lines 5-9 or something like that, so I am assuming they will eventually have it opened up even further across so the old ones still going straight to the C concourse will be right there with those...

The new area did look nicer, but it was more congested going through security than I have ever seen it because people were confused...of course I knew I could go through either still because once you are through you can go to any concourse...

Finally had a chance to stop in the C triangle area and look in some shops and grab some food...enjoyed the expanded options there. Also in the A concourse they have done some work to the long stretch before you get to the gates...I just wish they had opened that up more and put some more stops along the way, but I guess once the moving walkway is back open it will be ok....there's really not a whole lot of action in that concourse anyways.

And finally, the taxi time from gate to runway and runway to gate was longer because they are repaving one of the runways I guess?

Just flew into and out of BNA over the past week a couple times so I thought I would update the renovations. The consolidated security is partially finished by what I could tell...by that I mean you still have two options, one that feeds directly into the C concourse and another new one that opens up straight towards that window overlooking the runway area. In the new one, it is labeled as lines 5-9 or something like that, so I am assuming they will eventually have it opened up even further across so the old ones still going straight to the C concourse will be right there with those...

The new area did look nicer, but it was more congested going through security than I have ever seen it because people were confused...of course I knew I could go through either still because once you are through you can go to any concourse...

Finally had a chance to stop in the C triangle area and look in some shops and grab some food...enjoyed the expanded options there. Also in the A concourse they have done some work to the long stretch before you get to the gates...I just wish they had opened that up more and put some more stops along the way, but I guess once the moving walkway is back open it will be ok....there's really not a whole lot of action in that concourse anyways.

And finally, the taxi time from gate to runway and runway to gate was longer because they are repaving one of the runways I guess?

Yeah, it really does look good in there now that the renovations are starting to really clean the place up. Certainly one of the better airports for a city our size in the country IMO!

We recently flew to Dallas and the C concourse is certainly improving nicely. BTW, has anybody flown through Love Field lately? It's an absolute dump, from the terrible conditions of the bathrooms to the overall general look of the terminal. You would think Southwest would be doing more to improve the appearance of their gates, but there's no sign of it.

We also made a stop in Birmingham and I was actually impressed, at least the Southwest section. They have some nice comfortable chairs for Southwest fliers with computers at each gate that I don't think they have in Nashville.

sorry i didn't get around to this until now, but this is the area i'm talking about:

bnaau9.jpg

eric b

No problem Eric. I know that piece of property you are talking about and I know the airport owns it now that the old boat and marina store is gone. As for what they are doing with it, I don't know. I'll see if I can dig up any permits and go from there. Check back!

This could just be a demolition and a "right of way" for the approach end of runway 2 Right. I'll see what I can come up with.

• 4 weeks later...

Nashville International Airport has played host to a really cool international airline for the past month. Aeromexico, the flagship carrier of Mexico, has been running a once a week charter flight to Cancun from here for a month now. It arrives on Saturday, leaves on Sunday and then returns a week later. Here is a shot of one of their planes at the terminal this morning before it departed.

This is really neat and very interesting. I wonder who is running the charters?

2642355292_8dea5dd5b0_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...