Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

Cool pics, Mike! So how has Nashville's airport holding up during these times? I noticed a canceled route a couple of posts ago.

Sorry for the late reply.

It's fine. Some routes are being dropped, but others are staying. We have faired much better than other cities our size like Raleigh-Durham and others.

I don't have the source readily available but Delta Air Lines has applied with the DOT to fly non-stop flights from Nashville to Cancun, Mexico starting December 20th.

Frontier, as you know, dropped most of their Mexico destinations along with the flights out of the US to them, including the flight to Cancun from Nashville. At the moment, Aeromexico is flying this flight, but Delta has applied to take it over utilizing an MD88 on the route every Saturday.

This is great news for Nashville as the Cancun flight had been on of the more popular leisure flights from here. Plus it added a connection between the mid-state and Mexico.

It really stinks, but we can be glad to have what we have. Most airports the size of Nashville's would kill to have some of the service we have, so with that we should be proud and happy. once this merger with Delta and NW pans out, our friends down the road will probably not be as lucky as we were after the American Airlines de-hub of Nashville.

Franktown, we still have two flights a day to Toronto, Canada along with the Delta/Aeromexico flight to Cancun, Mexico. And let's not forget the China Airlines Cargo flights to Asia. This airport is much more "international" than most in other cities our size. Again, the airport is still strong in this horrible economy and that speaks volumes for the value of this airport to the airlines that use it. We have fared VERY well thus far, knock on wood! Other airports like Raleigh-Durham are getting services cut left and right. LOL!!! :)

Did RDU keep their flight to London?

Yes, but like before, there are corporations in that city that are footing the bill for that flight. If they (Pfizer and other companies in RDU) didn't subsidize that flight, American would yank it out of there faster than a sprinter at the Olympics this summer.

The same could happen here if companies could pool their resources and work together on something like this. But that's not likely to happen. <_<

I flew out of BNA (EARLY!) on Sunday, and as my ride was pulling up I saw the AeroMexico plane! Anyways, I love how Nashville's airport is evolving. It looks great with the recent renovations. I like the new security area and didn't have any problems or have to wait long. The new eatery's look great and make the airport feel unique. Keep up the good work! I believe Nashville has a great airport compared to similar markets which makes it lucrative to companies, tourists, and people who live in the area, like me. Trust me, my destination was Hartford, CT (Bradley International Airport) and it looked run down and unpleasing (even though they have a Sheraton at the airport).

Edited by timmay143

I went on the BNA website and counted 59 gates, but some are inactive and some are smaller gates for use by American Eagle. I'm sure Lexy can give a more accurate response, but hopefully I'm close on the number.

There are somewhere around 70-ish parking "spots" on the airport apron. But of that, I am not sure of the actual gate count. You are corect that some are inactive gates while some are what I would call lightly used gates like the international gate.

American leases one whole side of C Concourse to Southwest Airlines and still has the lease of the other side (which is kept relatively empty outside of the American gates). B Concourse has a few open gate spots, but is pretty well utilized I think and A is just weird. But that's a whole other topic in and of itself. LOL!!!

Lexy this is a far-fetched random question..

But what are your thoughts on the rising cost of fuel and what effect do you think it will have on airlines in the short/long run? Is this just part of the natural ups and downs of the economy or do you think it is a serious problem?? I am a supporter of the Music City Center, therefore I really hope the problem is resolved when the center is constructed.

There are somewhere around 70-ish parking "spots" on the airport apron. But of that, I am not sure of the actual gate count. You are corect that some are inactive gates while some are what I would call lightly used gates like the international gate.

American leases one whole side of C Concourse to Southwest Airlines and still has the lease of the other side (which is kept relatively empty outside of the American gates). B Concourse has a few open gate spots, but is pretty well utilized I think and A is just weird. But that's a whole other topic in and of itself. LOL!!!

Thanks to the both of you for your response. I went to BNA's website and they said 47 gates. Sorry for wasting your times. I should have done that first. I remember flying out of BNA during the summer of 1989. It was quite a sight to see all of the AA tails.

Another question... What was the annual passenger count for BNA at its peak during its AA hub status? (I could not find it in BNA's website?)

Thanks to the both of you for your response. I went to BNA's website and they said 47 gates. Sorry for wasting your times.

Another question... What was the annual passenger count for BNA at its peak during its AA hub status? (I could not find it in BNA's website?)

You're welcome! No time wasted at all my friend.

Back at the height of the hub, the average annual passenger count was a little over 8 million a year. Now, it's closer to 10 million a year with Southwest's dominance and the larger offereing of American Airlines flights each day.

Lexy this is a far-fetched random question..

But what are your thoughts on the rising cost of fuel and what effect do you think it will have on airlines in the short/long run? Is this just part of the natural ups and downs of the economy or do you think it is a serious problem?? I am a supporter of the Music City Center, therefore I really hope the problem is resolved when the center is constructed.

I think we are seeing the effects right now on the airlines. Thin routes are being cut, and those that are cross-country are getting cut. Routes that would normally operate at 60% capacity a year ago are now gone. If it's not 75-80% full all the time, airlines are dropping the flights. Now, you also have the case of airlines that go under like ATA and others. Luckily, BNA hasn't had to deal with that mess yet and hopefully we don't have to.

Airline wise, BNA has held its own nicely during this downturn.

• 4 weeks later...

Starting Jan. of 2009, Southwest will discontinue it's daily nonstops to Oakland and Seattle. They give fuel (which is crap) and their need to grow Denver more as the reasons (more crap). Some believe they are poised to start service non stop from Nashville to their new station at San Fransisco since a large number of BNA travelers were going to San Fran. anyways. We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath. Southwest is having a love fest at Denver and that's all they give a crap about right now. Idiotic, but that's jsut the way it is.

We also saw a decent amount of traffic Sunday with evacuees coming into Nashville from New Orleans. These were USAF sponsored flights.

2815621626_f3326d48de_o.jpg

2814936895_0debe35724_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

For those of you that are Frequent Flyers on Delta or Northwest, the merger has been approved and the new airline will be called Delta Air Lines with their HQ in Atlanta.

The DOJ gave their approval earlier today. As for the impact on Nashville, time will tell.

• 1 month later...

A press release from Southwest Airlines said that the daily nonstops between Nashville and Seattle and Oakland will be resumed effective May 9, 2009.

Apparently both are to be temporarily discontinued in January and resumed in May. I've flow both sectors and they have always been full flights. It is really convenient to have these nonstops to Seattle and the San Francisco Bay area; far easier than a connection.

Starting Jan. of 2009, Southwest will discontinue it's daily nonstops to Oakland and Seattle. They give fuel (which is crap) and their need to grow Denver more as the reasons (more crap). Some believe they are poised to start service non stop from Nashville to their new station at San Fransisco since a large number of BNA travelers were going to San Fran. anyways. We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath. Southwest is having a love fest at Denver and that's all they give a crap about right now. Idiotic, but that's jsut the way it is.

We also saw a decent amount of traffic Sunday with evacuees coming into Nashville from New Orleans. These were USAF sponsored flights.

2815621626_f3326d48de_o.jpg

2814936895_0debe35724_o.jpg

A press release from Southwest Airlines said that the daily nonstops between Nashville and Seattle and Oakland will be resumed effective May 9, 2009.

Apparently both are to be temporarily discontinued in January and resumed in May. I've flow both sectors and they have always been full flights. It is really convenient to have these nonstops to Seattle and the San Francisco Bay area; far easier than a connection.

I'm glad you posted that. I was about to, but instead will let everyone know the terminal is really looking great. I flew out the other day to Detroit on Southwest and the terminal looked great! Lot's of activity and a bunch of shops that looked pretty busy. A real treat to see what is close to being the finished product inside the security checkpoint. And while I am on the subject of that, the new setup is nice and the TSA officers were real cool. You typically see them getting a bad rap from travelers, but the ones that I was around seemed real nice.

Here are a couple photos from the departure out of Nashville. The plane both up there and back was packed solid!!

West End in this shot..

3108362323_171c45fe2d.jpg

Climbing through the clouds...

3111316858_5454537402.jpg