Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

I once flew to Boston via DC once. We flew up the coast on a sparkling clear day and I had a perfect, close up view of DC, Baltimore, Philly, and New York. I could see every building and recognize all the landmarks. I did not have a camera.

Grrrr... angry duck.... as my Grand Daughter says!

One of my favorite drives at this time of year... or in the fall... the only time I might wish I had a motorcycle.  The sheer cliffs at the tops of the ridge are stunning at any time. 

Over my career with TDOT, I had the wonderful privilege of driving across the state to project sites and toured every county but one. Hancock County! I loved my drives though Pikeville (Quinton Tarrantino's family roots go there) in the Valley. Grassy Cove just north of Sequatchie is another hidden gem. It is on the Plateau completely surrounded by mountains. No streams leave that valley. They all drain to the middle where they disappear underground. 

OK. I'll get back on topic....

• Like 2

Way to go, BNA.  So, of course, a hearty welcome to the forum.  (don't reckon you happen to like planes, do you?)

Apparently something added up that compelled you to come out from the curtains, and you're surely about to turn some heads.  I'm just a "rook" on this (chess) board, but I'm certain one or more of the moderators will jump in and roll out the carpet.

-==-

• Like 1

Where is (was) that, out of curiosity?  I've only been able to notice my house about 3 times (Ma, Va, and Nashville), and my job site once (Va.) since I first started flying, some 60 years ago.  I've not been as lucky as you guys, especially since some of my childhood homes were torn down.  Seems that I've only managed to peer at weird, off-the-wall things like Mt. Mitchell, NC and Cincinnati Union Terminal, on days when it's not been too hazy.

-==-

I grew up in a little town called Calvert City which is near Paducah and Kentucky Lake. The rivers and waterways were what let me find it pretty easily.

Reading PHofKS's comment reminded me of another cool fly-by. In January, 2009, I was flying from Norfolk to Detroit on Inauguration Day and was able to see the Washington Monument in the distance as we flew northwest while all of the festivities were going on.

• Like 3

Awesome BNA. Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you can add a lot of insight into the airline industry as well.

Germantown is turning to one of the best neighborhoods in town.

To all first posters and lurkers, please consider joining us for the forum meet first Saturday of the month at Provence in the downtown library.

• Like 2

I will say, I flew out of DFW earlier this month and the renovations to the terminals, namely interior, are mostly geared towards allowing more light in where possible and brightening them up with white tiles and walls and bold blue signage, the latter of which I wish BNA would've done with terminal renovations.

Now, DFW's Terminal D is a sight to behold. Ceilings nearly, if not over, 100ft high, floor to ceiling glass windows, and a sleek/ultra modern look. 

• Like 1

I will say, I flew out of DFW earlier this month and the renovations to the terminals, namely interior, are mostly geared towards allowing more light in where possible and brightening them up with white tiles and walls and bold blue signage, the latter of which I wish BNA would've done with terminal renovations.

Now, DFW's Terminal D is a sight to behold. Ceilings nearly, if not over, 100ft high, floor to ceiling glass windows, and a sleek/ultra modern look. 

Thank you.  Bold, simple, and clear labeling, with attention-commanding contrasting colors but without serif typefaces, can go far to contemporize a terminal, and when done in a manner which complements an interior upgrade, it does not have to be tacky or institutional looking.  Additionally, signs which provide key hints and those which can assist visitors or passengers in managing their expectations (such as walking time and direction to food vendors and to central concourses) can attenuate anxiety during pre-boarding intervals, when such signage is mounted within primary and secondary fields of view.  Then too, user perception is not uniform or always predictable.

Of course, this does not mean designing and arranging signs, vying for separate attention in a carnival midway style or as if they were along Las Vegas Boulevard.  Unfortunately and sadly, those authorities who are commissioned or who delegate others to manage terminal signage design, also are not necessarily the forces who have been the most objective beyond "standard" best practices.

-==-

• Like 2

As a Nashville native but Dallas resident, glad to hear you enjoy one of our airports' renovations. I really think they're doing a great job with TRIP on the old terminals, and I agree my breath still gets taken away when I walk through security into Terminal D. If you haven't been through Love Field lately you're in for a pleasant surprise as it's one of the finest small airports I've travelled through. 

Honestly, I love BNA and get sentimental every time I pass through it. That said it doesn't "feel" big because for an airport of its size it is incredibly spread out. I think the last renovation did a fairly good job fixing the few problems.  The swing gates that are on the airport's website as part of the plan will be huge. They'll allow Southwest to use gates for domestic flights during non-Intl banks and to accept international arrivals if they need to. I would put money on a reno to Terminal A allowing Southwest near-Intl flights and moving United and Frontier to B. 

I'm no expert on graphic design, but the signage at BNA looks extremely dated. As in 1980s.

• Like 2

I just flew out of BNA yesterday for my annual pilgrimage to Paris, and I have to say that I was impressed with the amount of people there were.  I'm sure there was added traffic because of CMA and maybe even Bonnaroo, but still the place was packed.  This was at about noon.  I got there early enough to walk around the place and was also impressed by just how many empty gates there are.  That may sound weird, but what I mean is there is still room for our airport to grow without having to fund an expansion project.  I was also impressed with the eating establishments at the airport.  I'd forgotten that there's a Neely's BBQ, Tootsie's, and Noshville in addition to the standard airport fare.  I also thought it was pretty cool that country music celebrities were the ones making the public service announcements.  I honestly don't think that BNA looks as old as she is.  But I do have to wonder:  why were many of the signs in Chinese?  I can understand English (duh) and Spanish, but are there really that many Chinese people coming through BNA?  I would've thought there'd be more Japanese visitors than Chinese.

At any rate, after years of flying out of Knoxville's little toy airport, BNA felt like a behemoth in comparison.  (Until I got to ATL which is a whole different beast.)

I just flew out of BNA yesterday for my annual pilgrimage to Paris, and I have to say that I was impressed with the amount of people there were.  I'm sure there was added traffic because of CMA and maybe even Bonnaroo, but still the place was packed.  

You should see it next Monday morning. Black Monday; when CMA Fest meets Bonnaroo leaving through the airport. And every one is wearing boots that have to be removed in security.

I had to take my daughter to the airport on black Monday last year. What was funny was the how the taxis would drop off someone and hightail it back to downtown to pick up more fares. They must have made a fortune that day.

• Like 1