Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

• 4 weeks later...

It's funny...at one point, I rarely even considered driving from Philadelphia or DC to Nashville. But, with the jump in prices into BNA it's beginning to flip, especially if the wife is coming along. Spending 10 hours in the car suddenly looks much more palatable when ticket prices go from $100-$200 per person to $300-400 per person if I'm flying on a weekend day.

• Like 1

Planes are fairly full out of BNA on a consistent basis and the RPM (revenue per seat mile) is excellent, so hiking prices for higher demand is what you're seeing and likely will continue. As I've said, Southwest will be adding more flights, mostly between already established routes, and other airlines will be doing the same. The only thing holding back is the potential expansion and renovations coming. That's like a ripe piece of fruit and everyone is waiting to see what happens.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, memphian said:

Does BNA even have a working customs and immigration area? I recall seeing one in Concourse A once upon a time but it doesn't seem capable of accommodating even one moderately sized international flight.

I think that may be part of the changes coming to the airport.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 5:26 AM, PHofKS said:

From the Tennessean; I got this off my subscription site and didn't see it posted on the public web site, so I don't have a link...

Airport%20Expansion_zps1pe9eju9.jpg

Quotes:

Nashville International Airport is embarking on an ambitious $1.2 billion renovation that will touch virtually every corner of the airport and change every aspect of the traveler’s experience.

New parking, more security lines, larger baggage claim and ticketing areas, expanded concourse space and a first-of-its-kind hotel are among the projects planned over the next five to seven years.

The renovation and expansion, dubbed by the Metro Nashville Airport Authority as “BNA Vision,” will rank among the most expensive in the city’s history.

Quote:

The airport also will add ticketing counters and additional baggage claims in addition to expanding concourse D, which will bring more gates and give the potential to add more airlines.

A spacious central entrance hall will be built, called the Grand Ole Lobby, which will include additional federal security screening lanes. At its busiest, Nashville, like other airports, has seen dreadfully long security lines, notably in March when the passenger queue stretched outside the building.

In a nod to the business and tourism industries’ desire for direct international flights to and from Nashville, the vision also calls for a new international arrivals building. Nashville leaders have been in hot pursuit of direct flights to London and Tokyo, in particular, and frustration mounted last year as those efforts seemed to reach a standstill.

Quote:

Airport leaders acknowledged the renovation would have to change the traveler’s experience. The goal is to minimize that by stretching the projects out over approximately seven years.

The projects are funded through the airport’s existing revenue streams, which come from bond sales, federal and state aviation grants, parking and concessions revenue and rental fees paid through the airline agreements. The Airport Authority has an annual budget of about $119 million.

In a demonstration of the airport’s sound financial health, Wigington pointed out that the authority’s bond rating is strong. Last year, the Airport Authority issued $200 million in bonds to fund the first wave of projects. Wigington said the bond market was eager to buy even more bonds and he expects a positive reception when more debt is issued in the coming months.

Plans also call for rerouting a portion of Donelson Pike by shifting the road slightly to the east to provide better ease of access and traffic circulation.

From a previous post.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

A non-stop to Tokyo would be amazing!  Even if it's just a couple of times a week, that would be quite a coup.  How awesome would it be to board a 777 in BNA and not wake up again until landed in Tokyo (I assume NRT).

777s don't come equipped with WiFi. Let's go for an Airbus A330 or A350 instead :)

13 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Delta is going to start flying non-stop between Nashville and Seattle in May.  Delta is ramping up trans-Pacific service out of SEA with nonstops to Beijing, Hong Kong, Seoul, Shanghai, and Tokyo, so this is welcomed news.  It wasn't too long ago when there were no nonstops to Seattle, and now we have three airlines flying between BNA and SEA:  Alaska, Delta, and Southwest.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/01/13/delta-adds-new-nashville-flight.html

Honestly, few cities that are not hubs can lay claim to having 3 big airlines with non-stops to both Seattle & Los Angeles. (American, Delta, & Southwest)

This will likely benefit Nashville heavily with Delta practically exploding their presences at Sea-Tac since dropping their agreement with Alaska in providing single-stop (direct) service from BNA to the Pacific Rim.

• Like 3

Does anyone know if we get any connecting traffic through Nashville on Delta.  We clearly do on Southwest, but I'm not sure about Delta.  This will now be 12 destinations from BNA on Delta, so could we see people begin taking Delta LGA-BNA-SEA, or JFK-BNA-MCO, or MCO-BNA-BOS?  I'm not even sure if Delta allows that to happen in a non-hub city.

I was crunching a few numbers yesterday, and it looks like our growth this year will put us ahead of Austin in total passenger rankings, and it may also put us ahead of Houston-Hobby.  Neither of them have produced their latest month or two of passenger numbers, but assuming they don't see crazy growth in December year-over-year then that should be the case. 

• Like 2

It is possible, but the numbers are quite low I'm sure. Delta will route a customer through a true hub, like ATL, DTW, or MSP, before routing them through BNA. Many times it's because the connection time is either too short to be feasible to offer or doesn't exist at all. 

BNA is a critical connection city for Southwest, and we're growing it further. As of right now, you all will max out at 99 flights per day this year, peak is summer, and that is 1 flight below "mega" status. Mega in Southwest is 100-199 flight per day and super-mega 200+.

• Like 3