Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, markhollin said:

BNA has best year yet in 2016, up 11% in passenger traffic (about 1.3 million) over 2015.  Grand total of 13 million passed through.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/01/11/nashville-international-airport-posts-record.html

I know this topic has been discussed to death, but when oh when will BNA get some nonstop flights to Europe and maybe even Tokyo?  There are several airports smaller than or about the same size as BNA that have intercontinental flights:  Pittsburgh, Raleigh-Durham, New Orleans, Austin, Cincinnati, Oakland.  Pittsburgh offered some sweet incentives to lure two discount European carriers:  WOW to Reykjavik, and Condor to Frankfurt, as well as incentives to get a Delta flight to Paris.  I look longingly at places like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Boston, and Orlando which have cheap seats to Europe and wish we could get something similar at BNA.  As popular a destination as Nashville has become, I just don't understand why places like Pittsburgh (?!) and New Orleans have been able to get European airlines while BNA gets overlooked, kind of like the pretty girl standing against the gym wall waiting for someone to ask her to dance.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2017 at 7:23 PM, NashRugger said:

Pittsburgh & Raleigh offered incentives, that other 4 have a pretty marked reason to have int'l service to Europe. Cincinnati being a Delta hub, New Orleans being a large international destination for tourism and energy industry, Austin because of all the tech there, and Oakland being cheaper in landing fees and more convenient to downtown San Francisco than SFO usually.

BNA does not need to incentivize airlines, it's coming, but it isn't always easy to get this kicked off. Patience pays off in the aviation industry and it'll come in time. I can strongly say that BNA is on the radar and the fact the airport is undertaking a total rehab of the A concourse to become an international section will likely be the domino that falls.

Side note, Southwest is buying 2 or 3 of Americans gates that they've not used in years. The airport has said "use them or lose them." 

American doesn't "own" any gates and neither does Southwest.  They are all owned by the airport and leased to the airlines now.  American Airlines, and I know this first hand, has really deemphasized Nashville in recent years since the US Airways merger.  This is due in part to the fact US Airways is running American Airlines and well, they aren't the best at figuring things out.  Delta has replaced American Airlines as the second busiest carrier at BNA with 1.3 million passengers last year.  AA had 1.1 million while Southwest was in another league with 6.7 million.

As for why other airports have the service and we don't, the airports and city leaders wanted it more.  This airport authority is a true joke in that they are historically reactive and NOT proactive about service.  They've always had this issue and there's a scathing report out about their lack of true vision and execution.  That's due in part to miles of red tape and lots of micro-management.  I don't think the British Airways service to New Orleans will be profitable long term.  The city is a cesspool and it's not that big of a player on the business scene anymore.  It's basically a place to get drunk, murdered, or raped and do it on the cheap.  Kind of like Memphis with an ocean nearby.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lexy said:

American doesn't "own" any gates and neither does Southwest.  They are all owned by the airport and leased to the airlines now.  American Airlines, and I know this first hand, has really deemphasized Nashville in recent years since the US Airways merger.  This is due in part to the fact US Airways is running American Airlines and well, they aren't the best at figuring things out.  Delta has replaced American Airlines as the second busiest carrier at BNA with 1.3 million passengers last year.  AA had 1.1 million while Southwest was in another league with 6.7 million.

As for why other airports have the service and we don't, the airports and city leaders wanted it more.  This airport authority is a true joke in that they are historically reactive and NOT proactive about service.  They've always had this issue and there's a scathing report out about their lack of true vision and execution.  That's due in part to miles of red tape and lots of micro-management.  I don't think the British Airways service to New Orleans will be profitable long term.  The city is a cesspool and it's not that big of a player on the business scene anymore.  It's basically a place to get drunk, murdered, or raped and do it on the cheap.  Kind of like Memphis with an ocean nearby.   

I love how you threw a jab at Memphis in there even though Memphis has nothing to do with this topic. That was level 10 on the ignorant post meter, IMO. 

What did Memphis do to you?

Edited by arkitekte
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lexy said:

This airport authority is a true joke in that they are historically reactive and NOT proactive about service.  They've always had this issue and there's a scathing report out about their lack of true vision and execution.  That's due in part to miles of red tape and lots of micro-management.  I don't think the British Airways service to New Orleans will be profitable long term.  The city is a cesspool and it's not that big of a player on the business scene anymore.  It's basically a place to get drunk, murdered, or raped and do it on the cheap.  Kind of like Memphis with an ocean nearby.   

Most accurate description of New Orleans ever.

I fully stand behind my OPINIONS of both cities.  I've never experienced a positive moment in either one.  

When this city (Nashville) decides it wants to play with the big boys, then it will get what it should already have (service across the ocean).  Until then, cities that can afford to take risk will reap the rewards of their hard labor.  It takes a village and we've yet to get so sick of connecting in Dallas or Atlanta that we want it bad enough to put money where are mouths are.  Business leaders, It's really up to you and the fine folks at the CVB to make this happen.  Every other peer city has one-upped you so far.  Even those that aren't in the same desirability neighborhood as us.

Edited by Lexy

42 minutes ago, Lexy said:

I fully stand behind my OPINIONS of both cities.  I've never experienced a positive moment in either one.  

When this city (Nashville) decides it wants to play with the big boys, then it will get what it should already have (service across the ocean).  Until then, cities that can afford to take risk will reap the rewards of their hard labor.  It takes a village and we've yet to get so sick of connecting in Dallas or Atlanta that we want it bad enough to put money where are mouths are.  Business leaders, It's really up to you and the fine folks at the CVB to make this happen.  Every other peer city has one-upped you so far.  Even those that aren't in the same desirability neighborhood as us.

Every moment I have spent in Memphis and New Orleans has been a blast. New Orleans culture is particularly unique. This is a bizarre stand you are taking.

i hope the routes cone to Nashville when demand is there. We do not need to subsidize this.

• Like 4

Just now, samsonh said:

Every moment I have spent in Memphis and New Orleans has been a blast. New Orleans culture is particularly unique. This is a bizarre stand you are taking.

i hope the routes cone to Nashville when demand is there. We do not need to subsidize this.

Won't happen unless it's subsidized.  It's like that at ALL non-hub airports.  Nashville wouldn't be an exception to this rule.  FWIW, there are already some routes that are funded by outside sources.

2 hours ago, Lexy said:

Then you ain't doing it right, and that's on you.  You're a big fan of hyperbole arent ya?

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UTgrad09 said:

Guys, let's put an end to the Memphis and New Orleans comments and focus on airport news/development/speculation. I think it is fair to discuss other cities when it comes to comparing our airports/amenities/routes/traffic/etc, but let's not get derailed too much here. It's an airport thread first and foremost.

We're close to 2 major airports, the one in Charlotte and the one in Atlanta (Last time i checked atl's airport was the busiest in the world), so I think it may be hard to get alot of flights when there's charlotte and atl nearby...

I'm not very educated on this topic so disregard me if I sound stupid lol.

13 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

Put in the total passenger numbers for 03-16 for BNA. Haven't tried to share an Excel file. Let me know if you can read it.

BNA numbers.xlsx

What I like is that our numbers are healthy year round.  We don't have this huge summer and then shrink down to nothing in the winter.  Of course the summer is bigger than the rest of the year...but not as much as you would think for a tourist destination city.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

It's a multi-year project. But the NBJ online today has an article that the CEO of MNAA is going ahead and adding infrastructure for international flights, even before the scheduled expansion of the International arrivals terminal.  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/01/23/airport-hustling-to-add-international-gates-in.html

While design and planning continue for a new international building, the Metro Nashville Airport Authority has decided to begin expanding the current facility early this year — opening an additional gate, streamlining the customs process and adding more space for screening bags. Wigington hopes the immediate activity, which wasn't originally anticipated, shows airlines that Nashville is urgently working to land its first nonstop overseas air service since American Airlines closed its hub 22 years ago.

This has made my day!

• Like 3