Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

39 minutes ago, Will said:

It's a solid addition. Always wanted to go to Banff; now it's a lot easier to get within striking distance.

Banff is awesome.  Do the complete Banff NP / Jasper NP loop from Calgary...to Banff...to Jasper...to Edmonton...to Calgary.  Also...I went dogsledding in Canmore...and that's a once in a lifetime experience if you get to do it.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

I am way excited about this!  While not as sexy as a nonstop to London or Paris, a nonstop to Calgary is nothing to sneeze at.  It's a beautiful city in the heart of Canada's cowboy country where country music is king.  I have quite a few friends from Alberta who live in Tennessee (Nashville, Cookeville, Knoxville) and they're ecstatic beyond measure by this announcement.  This will be good for business as well as for leisure travelers.

Yeah...I know several people in the music industry from Alberta (as well as BC).  Great news for them.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

While not exactly an exotic international destination, Calgary is a VERY underrated city.  Get up there when ya can!  

I've never made it all the way to Banff, however.  FMDJ, how bout a road trip?  lol  

Sounds nice. You'll have to do the driving, though. I'm medically barred from it because of my permanent labyrinthitis. :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NashRugger said:

American Airlines will be adding mainline service, in addition to American Eagle, to Chicago-O'Hare starting June 6th. 

Also, I'm working to confirm, but Delta may have made the Cancun nonstop permanent and no longer seasonal. 

So, now you're starting to see the legacy carrier/big boys start to flex a little bit to BNA. The numbers are there, the growth numbers are something to drool over and the reasoning is sound: continued substantial economic and population growth and a burgeoning/booming tourism industry.

As an employee of AA, I'd love to see mainline to ORD, but that's a crap shoot.  If it happens, that would REALLY help out some things, but I think you'll just see Envoy and maybe Republic ER175's.  I'd love to see the source for the news though.

EDIT: I hope you're right for what it's worth.

Edited by Lexy

As an AA loyalist who often flies ORD-BNA, I certainly hope mainline service makes an appearance soon. Though the reappearance of the E175s is certainly a plus on its own -- they feel much more like mainline aircraft than other regional jets, IMO. I'm also a little surprised that they still don't have service to their Phoenix hub from Nashville.

Nice to see Delta growing as well -- they've been on a roll of adds recently, with Raleigh, Seattle, and Boston.

I wonder how JetBlue's been doing? I wonder if they'll ever give BNA-JFK another try.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2017 at 10:21 PM, Jonny11788 said:

As an AA loyalist who often flies ORD-BNA, I certainly hope mainline service makes an appearance soon. Though the reappearance of the E175s is certainly a plus on its own -- they feel much more like mainline aircraft than other regional jets, IMO. I'm also a little surprised that they still don't have service to their Phoenix hub from Nashville.

Nice to see Delta growing as well -- they've been on a roll of adds recently, with Raleigh, Seattle, and Boston.

I wonder how JetBlue's been doing? I wonder if they'll ever give BNA-JFK another try.

The biggest issue with ORD is the amount of gates in Chicago and the fliers have grumbled about frequency here locally.  So, instead of getting a 737 there once every hour and a half, your going to get a CRJ700 ever 45 minutes.  ORD is a rolling hub which means it doesn't have flight banks that arrive and depart at a set time.  Raleigh supports, oddly enough, mainline service to ORD alongside Austin and other similar cities.  I think it's just a Nashville-specific thing that ALL of the Chicago flights are on little regional jets.  Most other cities in our size bracket have some form of mainline to both Chicago and Miami on AA.  I do know Envoy (who is wholly owned by American Airlines) uses the Chicago flight to bridge a maintenance gap for their aircraft between BNA and ORD.  Works well for them!  I'm hearing the Embraer 175's maybe coming back to ORD this spring and summer.  We'll see.

• Like 3

On 2/14/2017 at 10:21 PM, Jonny11788 said:

AA has actually been slowly decreasing their flights at PHX and is mostly focusing from the Rockies and westward. I could see American Eagle service but doubtful of mainline to PHX, if ever. 

Delta is loaded with cash and is being very aggressive. 

Oh, and the Embraer 175s are coming, 2-3 times per day starting in June.

Edited by NashRugger
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Top 25 destinations out of BNA for 12 months of Oct. 2015 thru Sept. 2016 are ranked:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/03/08/ranked-nashville-international-airports-top.html

Passenger counts of  Top 5 airlines at BNA during that period:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/subscriber-only/2017/01/06/airlines.html

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, markhollin said:

New direct flights to/from San Francisco via Alaska Airlines to start in September.

Operated by Virgin America. So technically this is a new airline brand coming in.

San Francisco Business Journal article announced this morning, in addition to several other Southwest Airlines cities like Raleigh/Durham & New Orleans. So what you're potentially going to see in the future is Alaska elevate their original brand and keep Virgin America as a low-cost and unique airline brand.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2017/03/09/virgin-america-alaska-air-airlines-alk-routes.html

• Like 4