Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

27 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

C-17 flying to Puerto Rico for hurricane relief support. There was a story  about it on WSMV last night. They were unloading two Blackhawk helicopters in the story I saw. I would love to see a C-5 fly into BNA. 

I was watching them drive a tractor up into the back of this thing on the news and it looked like a tiny toy.  The belly of this thing looked big enough to fit Cummins Station inside of it. ;)

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

I was watching them drive a tractor up into the back of this thing on the news and it looked like a tiny toy.  The belly of this thing looked big enough to fit Cummins Station inside of it. ;)

It looked about like Cummins station flying through the air. Amazing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Every rendering and model of the new facilities just makes me giddy. Even the prospect of filling in the big hole that divides the tarmac is exciting. This can't happen soon enough.

I'm wondering if filling in that tarmac hole will help to make the turnarounds quicker. I.E quicker from runway to gate, and vice versa; less takeoff lines, etc. Not an expert or anything, just seems that it will make operations around the terminal much smoother. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

I'm wondering if filling in that tarmac hole will help to make the turnarounds quicker. I.E quicker from runway to gate, and vice versa; less takeoff lines, etc. Not an expert or anything, just seems that it will make operations around the terminal much smoother. 

It certainly will, it will also allow more efficient use of the existing gates as it will possibly allow for a parking and staging area for aircraft between flights.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

That picture reminds me of something I have always wondered. Is there a way to know which direction you will be taking off at the airport? Or would you have to ask someone on the plane? Every time I fly I always guess as to which side I should be on so that I can get a view of downtown. 

4 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

That picture reminds me of something I have always wondered. Is there a way to know which direction you will be taking off at the airport? Or would you have to ask someone on the plane? Every time I fly I always guess as to which side I should be on so that I can get a view of downtown. 

What I do is when I get to the airport I go to an area where I can see some of the runways and look at which way they have them taking off. They don't vary the directions, so if you see a few take off one direction that's the way they'll be going. If you know the direction you're flying, you can make an educated guess about where you should sit. For instance, if the planes are taking off southwards (with the FedEx facility on the right), and you're flying to Texas or California, sitting on the right side of the plane should give you a good view of downtown. If you're taking off northwards and going east coast, the left side would give you a good glance, even though you wouldn't fly directly over downtown. 

• Like 1

It depends on wind direction. Right now BNA is in a north flow with a dominant northerly wind component. Later this week, winds are forecasted to shift southerly, so landings and departures will go south. Now, BNA has a restriction on operations before 07 or 08 to only utilize takeoffs for the runway aimed downtown, runway 31.

• Like 2

Ouch! A peak into how the sausage is made...

"

Airport board fires CEO Rob Wigington

Rob Wigington, the CEO of Nashville International Airport, is out.

The Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority, which oversees the airport, voted unanimously Wednesday to remove Wigington from his position. Wigington had been on medical leave since July 22.

Wigington will be replaced by Doug Kreulen, the airport's interim CEO.

It was not immediately clear if Wigington will receive any severance payments, similar to the payments which helped put the ousted CEO in the crosshairs of his board.

Wigington is the fourth executive to depart the airport within the past year and a half, with Chief Legal Officer Bob Watson, Chief Financial Officer Stan Van Ostran and Amy Armstrong, senior vice president and chief people officer for workforce strategy and development, also leaving.

A document from the airport's management committee meeting, shared on Twitter by a Tennessean reporter, outlined several reasons for Wingington's termination. The first bullet point cited his failure to disclose $2.6 million in incentives over two years for the recently announced British Airways flight to London.

It also accuses Wigington of "putting [the Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority in the] position of announcing and beginning a $1.2 billion BNA Vision plan with no chief financial officer, no chief legal officer and no chief people officer with immediate plan for filling those positions."

Wigington's departure and Kreulen's tenure come during a critical time for the airport, with the $1.2 billion BNA Vision expansion underway and the new direct flight to London set to launch in May. Furthermore, the airport continues to break its own records, with a surge in tourists and business travelers coming to the city through BNA. Airport leaders recently said they expect to eclipse 14 million annual travelers by the end of this year, and are aiming to hit 17 million by the time the expansion is complete six years from now. Come 2041, the annual figure may reach 23 million, according to the airport's projections.

Wigington's time on top has not been without controversy, including a consultant's report which described the airport's management as "paternalistic, dictatorial and centralized."

In early-October, The Tennessean reported Wigington was in talks to leave the airport, having hired Nashville attorney Kevin Sharp to represent him in negotiations. Those talks began shortly after Wigington and his board were at odds over nearly $400,000 in severance packages Wigington approved for departing airport executives."

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, LA_TN said:

Scenes from an INTERNATIONAL airport (not BNA):

FREE luggage carts:

FREE WiFi:

FREE internet:

People movers:

Come on BNA!!!! Wake up!!!!

Hong Kong!  My 3rd home (after Cookeville and Paris).

But it's really not fair to compare BNA to HKG.  HKG has over 70 million passengers on over 100 airlines and is HQ of one of the world's (certainly Asia's) premier airlines, Cathay Pacific.  It's got 65,000 employees and is also the world's largest air cargo hub.  The HongKong government, which is flush with cash, spares no expense in making HKG quite a showplace.  HKG is also a much newer airport, having opened in 1998, just after HKG was handed back over to China.  Its previous airport, Kai Tak, was straight out of the 1950s.  Even BNA's old terminal was nicer than old Kai Tak.

In BNA's defense, the only airports where I've had to pay to use a luggage cart are in the US.  That's certainly not unique to BNA.

Still, BNA's expansion plan is much needed and way overdue.   It will never be on the level of HKG, but BNA will certainly be one of the USA's nicest airports when it's all said and done.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 4