Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

I was glancing at the airport’s Wikipedia page and it lists Philadelphia as having been given mainline service by American Airlines. Does anyone have any more information on this? I know it’s not a reliable source but every once in a while someone updates something on the airport page days before it’s announced. 

Edit: After looking into it apparently at some time AA has upgraded some of the flights to mainline service using their Embraer 190s. So it’s only like a 25 seat increase from the 175’s that usually run that route, but an increase nonetheless. The 190s are going to be phased out pretty soon so I’m guessing the route will use A319’s eventually. Is there that much traffic between the two cities where an upgrade was needed? I didn’t think Philadelphia was that big of a connection center for AA to where we’d need bigger planes than they offer to New York and Chicago. 

Edited by Pdt2f

I was in Europe on a British Airways flight earlier this week. The December issue of BA’s “High Life “ inflight magazine has a full page notice promoting their new London Heathrow to Nashville nonstop flight starting May 4th. The article features a full color page of the Hatch Show Print poster “Nashville Music City USA”.  Nashville is also listed as a BA destination city on the airline’s route maps. Hopefully the MNAA will also publicize this new nonstop route. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, dxfret said:

I was in Europe on a British Airways flight earlier this week. The December issue of BA’s “High Life “ inflight magazine has a full page notice promoting their new London Heathrow to Nashville nonstop flight starting May 4th. The article features a full color page of the Hatch Show Print poster “Nashville Music City USA”.  Nashville is also listed as a BA destination city on the airline’s route maps. Hopefully the MNAA will also publicize this new nonstop route. 

They won't because they seem to not care about new routes or acquiring new routes for the airport. It literally basically said that in the report published on them.

Rubbish. MNAA may not be the most aggressive in seeking new routes, theft performance in the last 3 years has been admirable. As you know the billion+ expansion includes the planned international terminal with gates for larger planes. I find any report that pans the MNAA’s recruiting misinformed.

I've noticed that Southwest hasn't announced any new routes in the last 6 months or so, meaning that we won't see any new destinations start up in the next 6 months or so. We also haven't had any new airline announcements since the BA announcement despite persistent rumors of Spirit coming. I can't help but wonder if that is related to the turmoil that is currently embroiling the airport.   Fortunately, our passenger numbers are strong which mean airlines can't ignore the economic forces that will push increased frequencies and upgauged aircraft. However, I could see them sitting on the sidelines in adding new destinations or stations if the airport leadership is in question.  

• Like 1

A couple things are at work here:

1, this isn't a very announcement-heavy time of year for new flights as you usually see those pushed in the spring and fall, and even I do not really understand why other than the timing of service commencing is usually 4-8 months after announcement, depending upon airline, route, etc.

2, BNA really doesn't have any spare gate space for new airlines to come in, particularly for int'l flights as most European flights arrive and leave within the same amount of time and the fact we do not have a true, full custom's facility, yet. 

3, Airlines are watching like a damn hawk what is to come with concourse D for the number of gates and also the timeline of those opening. That is obviously extremely critical and once a solid timeframe is announced for it reopening, then we're likely to see some hefty announcements and shuffling of airlines amongst the concourses, as I've mentioned several pages back. 

• Like 2