Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

I hope WOW and Condor are taking note.

Seriously. There are more seats available than this time last year, but the load factors are like 4% higher - on average planes out of bna are more than 86% full which is insane. It’s got to just be the inept leadership at the airport that’s keeping more Airlines and routes out of it. The money is definitely there to be made. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

November’s numbers: just over 1.233 million, about 10% higher than November of 2016. This fiscal year is up 7.8% over last year. 

2 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

Seriously. There are more seats available than this time last year, but the load factors are like 4% higher - on average planes out of bna are more than 86% full which is insane. It’s got to just be the inept leadership at the airport that’s keeping more Airlines and routes out of it. The money is definitely there to be made. 

Correct sir. And passed Lambert St. Louis for the month. (BNA is growing at nearly 10% now while STL is less than 6%) I am still thinking WOW and Condor will watch the BA flight numbers for 6 months. The rapid growth of WOW concerns me

BNA is insane now; in that there are no midday flights that are not full. Yet, capacity has only been expanded on a few routes for UA and AA

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

i'd love to show a friend this data, is it available publicly and compared to other airports?

2 hours ago, LA_TN said:

Correct sir. And passed Lambert St. Louis for the month. (BNA is growing at nearly 10% now while STL is less than 6%) I am still thinking WOW and Condor will watch the BA flight numbers for 6 months. The rapid growth of WOW concerns me

BNA is insane now; in that there are no midday flights that are not full. Yet, capacity has only been expanded on a few routes for UA and AA

Being a commercial aviation nerd I typically ask what airline they used and how full the plane was when someone tells me they went on a trip, and almost everyone I’ve talked to the last year has confirmed this, the planes are packed to the gills. The only plane I’ve flown in going to or from BNA the last 3 years that hasn’t been completely full to capacity was an American Eagle CRJ-200 coming back from DCA in May of 2016 that was maybe 60% full. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

Being a commercial aviation nerd I typically ask what airline they used and how full the plane was when someone tells me they went on a trip, and almost everyone I’ve talked to the last year has confirmed this, the planes are packed to the gills. The only plane I’ve flown in going to or from BNA the last 3 years that hasn’t been completely full to capacity was an American Eagle CRJ-200 coming back from DCA in May of 2016 that was maybe 60% full. 

Flew a Delta connection from Memphis to Nashville last year on a CRJ-700 with 7 people on board.

• Like 1

For those who aren’t aware, Republic and Skywest are regional airlines who are contracted by the legacy carriers to run shorthaul or “thin” routes under their branding. So they primarily operate under the names United Express, American Eagle, and Delta Connection. I don’t know why the airport chooses to list them as their own airlines instead of listing them under the brand they’re operating, perhaps the regional airlines don’t provide specifics of whom they’re operating for when they list their pax numbers. 

Just now, MLBrumby said:

Wow! American Airlines used to be the BIG DOG at BNA. Now surpassed even by Delta. Of course, I live in the SE and a very small market at that, but I can't recall the last time I flew on an American jet; certainly several years. 

Delta has been upping their game at BNA the last year or so. They added Seattle, Boston and Raleigh-Durham in 2016, and they’ve recently upgraded their LAX route from A319’s to 738’s. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pdt2f said:

For those who aren’t aware, Republic and Skywest are regional airlines who are contracted by the legacy carriers to run shorthaul or “thin” routes under their branding. So they primarily operate under the names United Express, American Eagle, and Delta Connection. I don’t know why the airport chooses to list them as their own airlines instead of listing them under the brand they’re operating, perhaps the regional airlines don’t provide specifics of whom they’re operating for when they list their pax numbers. 

Delta has been upping their game at BNA the last year or so. They added Seattle, Boston and Raleigh-Durham in 2016, and they’ve recently upgraded their LAX route from A319’s to 738’s. 

That's a FAA thing because those regional operators are independent airlines that have contracts to fly specific carrier flags, thus you get those figures because some fly multiple flags, such as Republic. If you removed the regionals and added their actual flags to the specific carrier, American would edge Delta potentially ever so slightly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

BNA's hopes of nonstop flights to Japan seemingly got a shot in the arm today when it was announced that Toyota and Mazda have chosen North Alabama as the site of their joint manufacturing plant, expecting to create 4000 jobs and  300,000 cars yearly.  This is clearly in BNA's catchment area for flights, and if a direct flight were offered to Japan would capture a high percentage of the travel originating from North Alabama. 

Can’t hurt our chances! I would actually wager though that most business travelers to Asia (being less worried about price) would fly from Huntsville to connect to Tokyo in Atlanta or Chicago. Leisure travelers would be much more likely to drive to Nashville. But it also probably depends on how convenient the drive to Nashville is vs the Huntsville airport. 

Huntsville is a very easy drive from Nashville and I would rather have a direct flight to BNA versus a connecting flight to Hades (ATL).

Drive time

BNA to Huntsville 2.5H

Birmingham to Huntsville 1.5H

ATL to Huntsville 3.5H