Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

I think a 747 would have to land on the crosswind runway, as well as take off from it. Or at least the one time I’ve seen a 747 land at BNA in person it used the crosswind runway. I’ve heard occasional rumors that they’ll eventually lengthen one of the runways on the FedEx side to around 11,000 feet. Nothing substantiated though. 

5 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

Hmmm, that's right. Looks like the takeoff is 8,500 feet. I would not have expected it to need that much.

In any case I don't guess it matters for takeoffs only once or a few times each day. If BNA were busier and fielding heavier jets it would start to gum up the works though.

And this is why future plans include lengthening 20 R. There are more and more planes out there needing more than 8k. Ridiculous. Buy a motor

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LA_TN said:
Nashville International Airport Sets New Record for Number 
of Departing Passengers in a Single Day
25,795 departing passengers on Sunday, May 6

https://flynashville.com/news-and-media/press-releases/Pages/record.aspx

This is very significant to set the single day record on a day when it is not a special occasion/event/holiday

I was there...it was CRAZY busy.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BNA said:

Hello from your ever lurking, Belmont/Hillsboro native/United flight attendant. I’ve been scrolling back and I don’t think this has been discussed yet (apologies if it has).

This summer United is scheduling 3 of our four flights to Newark as mainline (think large full size domestic planes) vs. express. A few years ago all four were express. In late August we go up to 5 daily, 4 of which are mainline.  In September we go to 6 daily flights, 4 being mainline. October and beyond will  see 7 daily BNA-EWR flights with again 4 being mainline.

In a recent company email Nashville was singled out as a shining success  of our new commitment to beef up domestic service. 

As I’ve said before, as a flight attendant, on each and every flight I’m asked by colleagues and passengers alike where I live. When I say Nashville, people’s eyes light up. Everyone says they either love our city or they’ve heard it’s amazing. Among United flight attendants and pilots it’s one of the most sought after domestic layovers. Hundreds of my colleagues have said things like “I was there on a Monday night. It was so alive!” We really have something special. 

I’ve heard of the beefing up of metal to EWR, is it primarily for European connections?

I’ve also heard rumors of United adding an LAX flight. Have you heard anything about that? 

Question on the security process at the airport. My parents flew out of BNA on a Thursday morning about a week ok. They said when they were going through security that the the people working it said they had to get 3,000 people through. My parents mentioned that nobody had to take their shoes, belt, etc off in order to quicken the process. Has anyone had that happen to them before? Seems weird that they would change procedures. I asked if the lines were long and they said it was nothing out of the normal. Could they have been doing it to reach a quota, or would security have access to estimated arrival amounts and they were just trying to prepare for an influx in passengers?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Question on the security process at the airport. My parents flew out of BNA on a Thursday morning about a week ok. They said when they were going through security that the the people working it said they had to get 3,000 people through. My parents mentioned that nobody had to take their shoes, belt, etc off in order to quicken the process. Has anyone had that happen to them before? Seems weird that they would change procedures. I asked if the lines were long and they said it was nothing out of the normal. Could they have been doing it to reach a quota, or would security have access to estimated arrival amounts and they were just trying to prepare for an influx in passengers?

Its new at airports across the country. I have experience in ATX and DIA in the past month. 

• Like 1

I have had that happen at BNA once and I recall that happening once elsewhere too. @bigeasy

@BNA I have been almost embarrassed at times when I tell people I am from Nashville and then I can't get away from them due talking/questions!

I heard, some time ago, UA were upgrading to mainline service for Houston Bush and, I think some ORD. I have not checked

YES! We need more connecting flights on AA, UA, Delta, etc to attract more international service. But that aside, connecting flights through BNA will produce numerous positives! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nativetenn said:

Sorry if this has been discussed recently, but after scoring the direct flight to London, I was wondering what other international cities we could score direct flights to.

Frankfurt? Amsterdam, Paris? 

Anything in Latin America?

What do you guys think?

Popular rumors are that Delta will have a nonstop from BNA to either AMS or CDG.  I think the money is on Amsterdam but I wouldn't rule out Paris (Delta is partnered with Air France which also owns KLM).  There's a lot of speculation that BNA could also land one or two European discount carriers like Condor to Frankfurt and/or WOW to Reykjavik.  Some even speculate that BNA could possibly get a nonstop to Tokyo although that one is probably farther down the road.  There's already seasonal service on 2 different airlines (Delta and Southwest) to Cancun, and Vacation Express has charters to Cancun, Cozumel, Freeport (Bahamas), Montego Bay (Jamaica), and Punta Cana (DR).  I'd love to see Southwest add some more destinations to Latin America from BNA.  With Nashville's burgeoning Hispanic community, it's probably just a matter of time.  I'd also looooove to have a nonstop to Montreal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

Popular rumors are that Delta will have a nonstop from BNA to either AMS or CDG.  I think the money is on Amsterdam but I wouldn't rule out Paris (Delta is partnered with Air France which also owns KLM).  There's a lot of speculation that BNA could also land one or two European discount carriers like Condor to Frankfurt and/or WOW to Reykjavik.  Some even speculate that BNA could possibly get a nonstop to Tokyo although that one is probably farther down the road.  There's already seasonal service on 2 different airlines (Delta and Southwest) to Cancun, and Vacation Express has charters to Cancun, Cozumel, Freeport (Bahamas), Montego Bay (Jamaica), and Punta Cana (DR).  I'd love to see Southwest add some more destinations to Latin America from BNA.  With Nashville's burgeoning Hispanic community, it's probably just a matter of time.  I'd also looooove to have a nonstop to Montreal.

American flies to Cancun too. 

I think delta overflying ATL to one of their Europe hubs is highly unlikely, personally. If they ever did I’d prefer AMS, because although they’re owned by the same conglomerate KLM is just much more reliable than Air France. AF has strikes like every 20 minutes because French labor laws 1. don’t limit the amount of unions that can have representation at the same company, so you have like 15 different unions each for pilots, mechanics, ground personnel, and flight attendants -  all with varying amounts of radicalization and willingness to strike, and 2. the French have a constitutional right to strike without losing their jobs, which leaves very little incentive not to strike. AMS would just be a much more reliable place to connect. 

Much more likely is an Iceland flight, a Condor Frankfurt flight, and more Caribbean/Mexico/Central American action. Southwest’s next schedule expansion is the 31st, it’ll be interesting to see if they add any flights at BNA. 

• Like 1

I'd personally prefer expansion of JetBlue at BNA and to grow their domestic options and also bring in some Latin American destinations. I worked for Southwest and they're a great company, but the product JetBlue provides to the Caribbean is superior to that of Southwest. 

My bet for a non-Icelandic destination is on Amsterdam via Delta, since that is a hub for them. Delta can afford to skip Atlanta and let's face it, while it's a machine when good, one thing goes wrong and Atlanta goes downhill very fast and it honestly needs to have some wealth spread, it's just a little healthier for the company and reduces some risk. 

• Like 3

Indianapolis got a Paris CDG flight, so Delta will route some P2P international destinations if needed. That being said, I suspect Iceland is the next destination, especially since the MNAA CEO mentioned being very close to getting an Iceland flight. As for the Caribbean, I wish they would bump CUN to 2-3x weekly as opposed to the 1x service now, and I also wish we would add on service to Punta Cana or San Juan. 

I believe Southwest’s CEO mentioned Canada as a possibility for them to expand to over the next couple years which would open up Toronto and Montreal as possible destinations from BNA. I would love to have Vancouver, but that’s probably unlikely. 

The best news we could get from Southwest in the short term would be for them to bolster service through BNA a half dozen smaller market destinations (Omaha, Tulsa, Des Moines, additional OKC flights, etc) and capture more connecting traffic. That would enable BNA to support these thinner routes to Canada and the Caribbean. 

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

Indianapolis got a Paris CDG flight, so Delta will route some P2P international destinations if needed. That being said, I suspect Iceland is the next destination, especially since the MNAA CEO mentioned being very close to getting an Iceland flight. As for the Caribbean, I wish they would bump CUN to 2-3x weekly as opposed to the 1x service now, and I also wish we would add on service to Punta Cana or San Juan. 

I believe Southwest’s CEO mentioned Canada as a possibility for them to expand to over the next couple years which would open up Toronto and Montreal as possible destinations from BNA. I would love to have Vancouver, but that’s probably unlikely. 

The ebst news we could get from Southwest in the short term would be for them to bolster service through BNA a half dozen smaller market destinations (Omaha, Tulsa, Des Moines, additional OKC flights, etc) and capture more connecting traffic. That would enable BNA to support these thinner routes to Canada and the Caribbean. 

WestJet would move heaven an earth to stop that, since they literally follow WN's business model pretty well, with some service to Europe on some ER jets. The best thing for them to get into Canada is to do an agreement with WestJet.

• Like 1