Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

On 7/7/2018 at 6:26 PM, Hey_Hey said:

I’ll be on that plane in less than three weeks! Is it odd that I may be looking forward to the plane trip more than the destination? 

It's only odd if you're in Economy.  Because that BA 787-8 is quite possibly the worst standard economy class in the sky. 

Happy we have the route but really wish BA would give us a different bird.

Edited by glamdring269
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, glamdring269 said:

It's only odd if you're in Economy.  Because that BA 787-8 is quite possibly the worst standard economy class in the sky. 

I’ve heard the same thing, that it’s a pretty horrendous experience. I feel conflicted because I would want to support this flight but I also would just rather make the transatlantic flight in a 767 or a330 even if it requires connecting in CLT, ATL, or DTW. 

Welcome to the board, by the way! Love the screen name, always good to have another Tolkien fan here.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

I’ve heard the same thing, that it’s a pretty horrendous experience. I feel conflicted because I would want to support this flight but I also would just rather make the transatlantic flight in a 767 or a330 even if it requires connecting in CLT, ATL, or DTW. 

Welcome to the board, by the way! Love the screen name, always good to have another Tolkien fan here.  

13 hours ago, glamdring269 said:

I’ve been on many 767s and A330s but not a 787-8.  What would you guys say is the biggest difference?  I’m guessing the obvious answer is space but is there anything else you’d say makes it especially unpleasant?  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Skyscrapergeek said:

I’ve been on many 767s and A330s but not a 787-8.  What would you guys say is the biggest difference?  I’m guessing the obvious answer is space but is there anything else you’d say makes it especially unpleasant?  Thanks!

I’ve never been in a 787 but the 9 across seating is crazy compared to the 7-8 across for the 767 and 330, when there’s only a slight difference in fuselage width. I also just prefer the 2-4-2 arrangement rather than the 3-3-3, but that’s just a preference based on the fact that when the wife and I travel we like to have access to both the window and aisle seat if possible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Skyscrapergeek said:

The 787-8 is actually a pretty good plane.  The problem is that BA decided to do the 3-3-3 config.  This is bad enough as/is from a seat width perspective but they have packed so many rows in that the pitch is awful too.  To make matters worse they have these massive entertainment boxes under a lot of the seat.

So to summarize:

Poor width, poor pitch, and inhibited leg room if you have an entertainment box under the seat in front of you.  Which if I remember correctly is an issue for all aisle and window seats.

With that said, I can endure some limited torture for 8 hours considering the route is direct and the tickets we bought were ~$750 round trip.  Tough to beat...

(Thanks for the welcome as well! Stumbled upon this forum a year or so ago so have been lurking for quite awhile.)

Edited by glamdring269
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Boeing 787 is perhaps the most advanced commercial aircraft flying.  The 787-8 is the smallest version and was designed as a replacement for the old 767s.  

Seats in economy class on BA, or any airline, are never going to be really comfortable especially for a long haul flight. BA, and most airlines now offer a Premium Economy product (larger  more spacious seats, better meals and amenities) for a slightly higher fare. The best features of this particular airplane are the much better cabin pressurization and the large windows with automatic dimming.  

I would always choose a Boeing 787 or the similar Airbus A350 anytime over the previous generations of widebody aircraft, just as I would always choose a nonstop flight over any type of connecting flight.  

Edited by dxfret
Typos

On 7/8/2018 at 8:55 PM, glamdring269 said:

We’re in the premium economy/World Traveller Plus. It’s a 2-3-2 for us. The $250-300 upcharge seemed worth it. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

We’re in the premium economy/World Traveller Plus. It’s a 2-3-2 for us. The $250-300 upcharge seemed worth it. 

It's definitely worth it if that was all it took.  I'd pay that in a heart beat for the flight I'm on next month if they would let me.  Unfortunately when I checked (again) over the weekend they said it would be $3k.  Gotta love the consistency in airfare pricing.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

What is Vacation Express?  Is that a real airline?

Not really an airline, it’s a travel company where you basically book your flight, hotels, etc all at once. I’ve thought about doing one, looks like it could be fun. Vacation express usually contracts with other low cost airlines for the flying portion of the trips: VivaAerobus, Swift Air, etc. 

• Thanks 1