Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

I think these jobs will lead to more air service, but I also think it is going to be hard to definitively say that any additional air service is because of these jobs.  BNA is growing so quickly right now that it will be next to impossible to identify with certainty that any additional air service directly relates to Amazon's announcement.  For example, I don't think Condor is going to come in and say, "Because Amazon is coming to Nashville with 5k jobs, we are coming to BNA!"  However, it may very well be that these jobs are the tipping point that makes certain flights feasible.  

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 2

As if you guys don't have enough going on in your city, the MNAA board just awarded a massive $327M contract to Hansel-Phelps for terminal expansion. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/11/14/nashville-airport-bna-new-terminal-lobby/2002452002/

The 440,000-square-foot project will begin in early 2019 and is expected to take four years to complete. It's part of the broader $1.2 billion BNA Vision plan that will add parking, security lines and a new hotel, and renovate virtually every corner of the Nashville airport.

"International Arrivals" area. So where do they depart LOL? I realize they're talking about Customs. 

Bna Interior 01

Drop-off and Pick-up area of new terminal expansion.

A new canopy and pedestrian bridge will connect the Nashville International Airport's terminal to parking facilities.

• Like 4

Then there's this tidbit. Dierks Bentley resigns from MNAA board over refusal to release emails in Wigington lawsuit. It seemed odd to me that he was even on the board. Jim Granberry will replace him on the board. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/11/14/dierks-bentley-resigns-nashville-airport-board-directors/1990747002/

Wow and about time.....that price is crazy expensive....

Lobby upgrades

BNA Awards Major Construction Contract for Terminal Lobby Renovation and International Arrivals Facility Project 
$327 Million project the biggest piece of ‘BNA Vision’ growth and expansion plan

NASHVILLE – Nashville International Airport (BNA) Board of Commissioners at the November board meeting on Nov. 14 awarded Hensel Phelps the terminal lobby and International Arrivals Facility (IAF) project. 

The $327 million design-build contract is for the largest component of BNA Vision, the dynamic growth and expansion plan for Nashville International Airport. 

Construction will begin in fall 2019 with an anticipated completion of late 2023. 

"This contract award marks the start of the sixth and largest BNA Visioncomponent,” said Dr. A. Dexter Samuels, BNA Board of Commissioners chair. “When complete, this project will provide travelers an expanded and visually engaging terminal lobby as well as a state-of-the-art International Arrivals Facility to accommodate future international flights. From a design perspective, we think this will be the most transformative undertaking in the history of this airport.” 

The 440,000-square-foot project entails expanding and renovating the airport’s lobby, and building a state-of-the-art International Arrivals Facility (IAF) to increase capacity to accommodate more international travel. By its completion in 2023, the renovation will elevate the terminal lobby’s ceiling, add a distinctive, sweeping roof canopy, connect terminal garage parking facilities to the central terminal with a pedestrian bridge, increase capacity for security screening with an expanded checkpoint for up to 24 screening lanes and introduce a new central marketplace with compelling views of the airfield. 

Two new things of note:

1. On twitter Doug Kreulen said that there will be more route announcements in 2018, do not know if they are domestic or international (most likely domestic).

2. The national air service coalition convention (if i dont have that name entirely correct my bad) will be having their convention in Nashville around the time of the NFL draft in April 2019, i would be surprised if no new routes come from that conference. 6 domestic gates is not enough lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Big route announcements today from Southwest. Starting June 9, BNA will get the following service:

-Daily to San Jose (SJC) and Burbank, California (BUR). 

-Seasonal Sunday service to Omaha (OMA)

-Seasonal service returns to Norfolk, VA (ORF) and Seattle (SEA). 

-Increases in service to Boston (4), St. Louis (4), Las Vegas (4), San Diego (3), Minneapolis (2), and Detroit (3) by one flight each. (Total number of daily weekday flights in summer 2019 in parentheses)  

They will be running 124 departures per day on weekdays and 133 on Sundays. 

Edited by Pdt2f
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

So how  many gates does SWA have at BNA? At what percentage of the total gates (capacity) will the new and existing flights be upon completion ? 

Some of our more knowledgeable friends may want to chime in, but I guess WN has around 14 gates at BNA, and might get 10-12 daily flights per gate if pushed. So they’ve got some room to grow (they run semi-banks so certain times of day are much busier than others). Rumor is that WN wants all of concourse D though, when it’s finished. With that many gates in a thriving city where they are already most people’s favorite airline I could see them pushing to 175 per day, maybe getting up to around 200 (although this would take a decade plus and put us in league with WN stations in DEN, LAS, PHX, and MDW). 

• Like 1

How many flights will Southwest now have at BNA with this expansion — maybe something like 120 flights per day?   Will there be enough gates, especially on the C Concourse?   American Airlines has Its gates on C , but there is really nowhere for AA to relocate except for the expanded Concourse D.  Perhaps they will arrange that giving SWA all of Concourse C

With the Amazon announcement and all it will bring to Nashville, the MNAA really needs to look closely to make sure they are expanding the terminal enough to accommodate the future growth of the city and airport.  

I flew in from SFO this week and the flight was packed as well as the airport terminal.  BNA is really, really busy. 

Edited by dxfret
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, dxfret said:

How many flights will Southwest now have at BNA with this expansion — maybe something like 120 flights per day?   Will there be enough gates, especially on the C Concourse?   American Airlines has Its gates on C , but there is really nowhere for AA to relocate except for the expanded Concourse D.  Perhaps they will arrange that giving SWA all of Concourse C

With the Amazon announcement and all it will bring to Nashville, the MNAA really needs to look closely to make sure they are expanding the terminal enough to accommodate the future growth of the city and airport.  

I flew in from SFO this week and the flight was packed as well as the airport terminal.  BNA is really, really busy. 

Doubt AA moves from C, they’d either have to give up their Admirals Lounge or their premium FF’s would have to walk between concourses to go to the club - not ideal. They have fewer gates, maybe 6-7 or so, but they don’t need they many for their current operation. They’ve been selectively upgauging, too. Routes that used to be almost entirely a319’s like CLT and LAX are now being flown with 738’s and a321’s, and they’ve been occasionally mainlining ORD and MIA. I’d honestly rather have them fly less flights with larger aircraft if it means that WN, who has actually shown the desire to expand in BNA, has room to grow. 

I’m like a prophet lol.

But in all seriouness this is a good addition from southwest and likely shows potential for future growth from the carrier at BNA. This was also decided before the amazon announcement so I can only imagine what will be announced after. Nashville now in my opinion only needs nonstops to Portland, Sacramento, Hartford (or another new england airport besides Boston), and seasonal to west palm beach and then the domestic network will be completely covered. I also see potential for more flights to the LA area in the future as the region grows. I am also curious as to whether Southwest will expand to carribean destinations from Nashville when the new IAB is finished, that could very well be another possibility.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

I’m like a prophet lol.

But in all seriouness this is a good addition from southwest and likely shows potential for future growth from the carrier at BNA. This was also decided before the amazon announcement so I can only imagine what will be announced after. Nashville now in my opinion only needs nonstops to Portland, Sacramento, Hartford (or another new england airport besides Boston), and seasonal to west palm beach and then the domestic network will be completely covered. I also see potential for more flights to the LA area in the future as the region grows. I am also curious as to whether Southwest will expand to carribean destinations from Nashville when the new IAB is finished, that could very well be another possibility.

If WN is serious about making Nashville their primary SE station, you could see more regional flights too due to connection opportunities. Places like Indianapolis, Little Rock, full service to Omaha and OKC, Birmingham, Richmond, Cincinatti, and Tulsa would be logical eventual adds for a major WN station, especially if they start sending some Caribbean and Mexican action our way, and continue adding flights to Florida and west of the Rockies. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's the timeline for the apron extension? That's going to make movements much easier on that side if the terminal. 

Flying out on Dec. 28th, back to the UK. Having to go through Charlotte because I couldn't get on the BA flight. I hope they bump that up to 2x daily soon, or WOW starts flights...

• Like 2

Didn't take Atlanta long to make that list. Quite an achievement when considering how much Delta controls H-J. No doubt, BNA is very profitable for SW. Their fares from there are usually 10-15% greater than out of ATL. For the past three years I have shopped fares for our family of 5 from both airports. Last time it cost $400 less for all of us to go round-trip ATL-DEN than if we had gone BNA-DEN. And their flights from both airports fill FAST! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Didn't take Atlanta long to make that list. Quite an achievement when considering how much Delta controls H-J. No doubt, BNA is very profitable for SW. Their fares from there are usually 10-15% greater than out of ATL. For the past three years I have shopped fares for our family of 5 from both airports. Last time it cost $400 less for all of us to go round-trip ATL-DEN than if we had gone BNA-DEN. And their flights from both airports fill FAST! 

Southwest bought AirTran in 2011.  I might be mistaken, but I think AirTran had more flights out of ATL than Southwest currently does.

Nashville International Airport made the UK's Daily Mail, and not for anything related to the nonstop to Heathrow.  It's a pretty heartwarming story.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6482691/Travelers-sing-national-anthem-kids-fallen-service-members.html?fbclid=IwAR12EwXZi68lqExMdbEMM3I6tc2xaHLC5paLEr6LvNxnxyAIpkXtgLNMUE8

• Like 4