Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS) at Knoxville is having their best year ever (also Chattanooga)

"Because of your continuous support of our airport, we have reached a huge milestone. THANK YOU for helping us serve 2 MILLION passengers in 2018...and the year's not even over!" 

"McGhee Tyson Airport has 5 major airlines serving 22 non-stop destinations including Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Denver, Houston, Orlando, Miami, New York, Chicago, Las Vegas, and Washington D.C. With more than 120 arrivals and departures each day and more than 4,000 seats available, McGhee Tyson Airport is one of the most convenient and accessible regional airports in the nation."

For comparison:
- Louisville is at 4 million with 10% growth
- Memphis is near 4 million with 5% growth
- Knoxville is at 2 million with 10% growth
- Chattanooga is at 1 million with 10% growth
- Nashville is at 16 million with 10% growth

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LA_TN said:

McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS) at Knoxville is having their best year ever (also Chattanooga)

"Because of your continuous support of our airport, we have reached a huge milestone. THANK YOU for helping us serve 2 MILLION passengers in 2018...and the year's not even over!" 

"McGhee Tyson Airport has 5 major airlines serving 22 non-stop destinations including Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Denver, Houston, Orlando, Miami, New York, Chicago, Las Vegas, and Washington D.C. With more than 120 arrivals and departures each day and more than 4,000 seats available, McGhee Tyson Airport is one of the most convenient and accessible regional airports in the nation."

For comparison:
- Louisville is at 4 million with 10% growth
- Memphis is near 4 million with 5% growth
- Knoxville is at 2 million with 10% growth
- Chattanooga is at 1 million with 10% growth
- Nashville is at 16 million with 10% growth

Knoxville's tiny airport with limited flights and high fares is one of the reasons I was glad to move to Middle Tennessee.  And if I did my math right, BNA has more than twice as many passengers as all other Tennessee airports combined.

When arriving home last night at bna I noticed the old parking garage was almost empty. Blue tarps had been drapped across the side of the car rental garage that is next the the old garage. Does anyone know if the old garage about to be torn down or partially torn down?

I took a picture of garage today when I returned  my rental car but I forgot to photograph the tarp. 

94FEAC86-87EE-4F20-83B4-27DDE4B255C7.jpeg

Image result for BNA airport expansion

The existing garage at the site of the middle brown portion is be demolished according to the BNA Vision plan. The white section (rental car) will remain. Were the tarps down to serve as a divider between those two sections? I believe the demo will be happening in the next couple of months. In preparation for that, I assume the S-T parking will be shifted over to the new section. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Buildtall said:

Thanks MLBrumbyfor that info. Now I have another question after looking at the above pic. I see the hotel in pink but what is that white portion sticking up out of the top of the garage which looks to be 2 story’s taller? 

The MNAA/BNA admininstrative offices.

17 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Knoxville's tiny airport with limited flights and high fares is one of the reasons I was glad to move to Middle Tennessee.  And if I did my math right, BNA has more than twice as many passengers as all other Tennessee airports combined.

Delta has 9 daily flights to ATL, etc. There are good options to connect to the hubs (ORD, ATL, etc). Few direct flights to other destinations is to be expected

The prices on Delta are "reasonable" while AA and United flights are flat out expensive. There is a push to bring in a few Southwest flights. If successful, that would make a huge impact on prices. How many people are driving to BNA/CLT/ATL to get a cheaper flight? TYS needs to get up to 3 mil pax, but that is not likely to happen without southwest/etc coming to town. Chicken or the egg thing...

Also, remember that BNA is a cheap airport to fly out of. Even similar flights from ATL or CLT are more expensive than BNA! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LA_TN said:

Delta has 9 daily flights to ATL, etc. There are good options to connect to the hubs (ORD, ATL, etc). Few direct flights to other destinations is to be expected

The prices on Delta are "reasonable" while AA and United flights are flat out expensive. There is a push to bring in a few Southwest flights. If successful, that would make a huge impact on prices. How many people are driving to BNA/CLT/ATL to get a cheaper flight? TYS needs to get up to 3 mil pax, but that is not likely to happen without southwest/etc coming to town. Chicken or the egg thing...

Also, remember that BNA is a cheap airport to fly out of. Even similar flights from ATL or CLT are more expensive than BNA! 

When I lived in Knoxville I'd usually just fly out of TYS because the hassle of driving all the way to BNA rarely made up for the higher fares.  But I knew a lot of families who made the trek to Nashville.  At $100+ savings per ticket that meant several hundred dollars for a family.  But the kicker for me was when I cashed in some miles for a first class ticket, but the only planes flying out of TYS were the little regional jets that didn't even have first class seats.  So it was a waste of a first class ticket except I got to board first (woohoo).  I will say TYS is a very attractive airport and rarely has long security lines.  However, now that airlines give frequent flyer miles based on the ticket price and not miles flown, I no longer enjoy layovers.  BNA has the perfect combination of lots of nonstop destinations and several low-cost airlines.

• Like 4

On 12/29/2018 at 8:39 PM, nashvylle said:

One concern I have for BNA is just the two lane entrance... over thanksgiving it was terrible traffic getting in. With more and more travelers expected, what is the plan getting into BNA?

I've wondered that myself. Were the BNA onramps/offramps with I-40 designed to handle the amount of car traffic expected in the next few years?

• Confused 1