Frankfort, Kentucky

seicer

• 2 months later...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are really nice photographs. I had no idea that Frankfurt had such a large capitol building. I've never been to that part of Kentucky, but I know the state fairly well, I lived only 30 minutes from the border in Virginia. I used to shop in Kentucky a lot. I've driven up through Ashland, and that's as far as I've gotten. Looks like a nice city, maybe I'll get there someday.

• 2 weeks later...

Frankfort is a great small city sitting on the banks of the Kentucky River. I lived in Lexington for a number of years and have fond memories of taking the backroads through the horsefarms up to Frankfort and having lunch. I did this several times because the trip was so gorgeous and Frankfort was such a quaint little city.

• 10 months later...

I guess I'll use this for news regarding the city :)

What's in store for the old corner store?

By Vince Tweddell, State-Journal [Frankfort], August 6, 2007

1891 view {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Another map

Interior view {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} More interior views

The former Noonan's grocery store on W. Second Street has been vacant for years and was condemned by the city on July 10. The building has been vacant since 1981, and the roof on the building collapsed several years ago. The historic two-story brick structure may be demolished for a parking lot, according to rumors circulating in the neighborhood surrounding it. A public safety structure is being constructed next to the police department, and will require additional parking. The building's owner, Bill Noonan, refuted any plans to tear down the building or sell the structure to the city.

An article from a January 1981's Courier-Journal article stated that the service-oriented Noonan's grocery store occupied three north Frankfort locations since 1895, when it was founded, before it moved to 200 W. Second Street in 1924.

• 5 weeks later...

I thought I posted an earlier article on the Old YMCA building, so I'll try to dig it up...

Old Y building to be wrecked

By Vince Tweddell, State-Journal [Frankfort], September 11, 2007

The Old Y Building on Bridge Street is slated for demolition, despite the works of preservationists who are working to save it. City commissioners on Monday told Planning Director Gary Muller to tear it down.

Muller stated that he will begin advertising for a demolition crew as soon as possible, and the City Commission will vote on its approval in late October. The demolition is being pursued because the building "poses a threat to public health, safety and welfare."

The building has been condemned for more than a year, but local preservationists hoped it could be saved. They are learned that the city was pursuing this course of action, since plans for the restoration of the building have been underway for a while. A marketing study and a general study with plans have proven that the building is structurally sound -- something that the city agrees on.

In May, plans were unveiled that the building would be converted into an upscale restaurant on the first floor, and condominiums on the second and third floors.

In winter 2006, the city notified Old Y Development LLC of Louisville and Robert J. Ehrler, the property owners, of the building code violations, and that the building needed to be repaired or it would be razed.

Workers start moving back in old building

By Paul Glasser, State Journal, September 20, 2007

Renovations at the State Office Building at Mero Street are on time and under budget. State employees will begin moving in during the next several weeks.

The building was originally constructed in 1936 and expanded in 1964. It's capacity was increased to 800 employees, and housed the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet in its later years. Renovations began in 2005 when the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet vacated the building to its new facility down the street, and it will house 1,200 upon reopening. A 400-space parking lot will be located nearby on a former scrap yard, gas station and freight yard.

The project was originally expected to cost $59.7 million, but came in $4.1 million under budget. Although construction costs increased, the final cost is $55.6 million. The building was gutted and only the original core and exterior walls were saved; many of the original art-deco elements were saved. The electrical, heating and cooling systems were replaced. The original mail chute system was retained, and employees on any floor can drop letters in a slot to a basement mailroom.

The Personnel Cabinet has relocated from a building on Fair Oaks Lane and will occupy the first three floors, while the Department of Revenue has nabbed the top eight floors. There is also a 200-seat auditorium and an employee canteen.

A dedication ceremony for the State Office Building is scheduled for mid-October.

State mulls options for renovation of capital Plaza tower

By Vince Tweddell, State Journal, September 16, 2007

Discussions will begin soon on what renovations are needed at the 35-year-old Capital Plaza tower.

The Commissioner for facilities and support services has requested $2.5 million in the next biennium for maintenance to take care of heating, electrical and concrete problems at the complex, and those repairs would act as a stopgap until the 2010-2012 budget cycle. A large-scale renovation is proposed for the tower and nearby complex at an estimated cost of $110 million. The renovation would entail a more flexible and efficent plan for office space, and would accommodate and consolidate agencies housed in different locations.

While the design of the building was functional when it was built, some are questioning whether it is appropriate for today. The tower and the area that surrounds it are expensive and difficult to maintain. Traveling under the plaza on Clinton Street is uninviting and restricts traffic flow.

Also at the meeting, there was a request of $4.5 million made to upgrade the campus of the Capitol and $4.265 million to design a Capitol annex addition and renovation. The addition and renovation is scheduled for the 2010-2012 biennium.

The Corner Store article posted above... more news :(

City to buy old store for parking

By Vince Tweddell, State-Journal, September 25, 2007

The old Noonan's grocery store will become a 39-space parking lot to ease the burden on the spaces lost due to the construction of the nearby Public Safety Building. The City Commission Monday approved 3-2 a $87,235 purchase of the W. Second Street building and its adjacent parking lot. The deal requires Bill Noonan to demolish the building.

The building is the last 19th century structure at Second and Shelby streets and is in a Renaissance Kentucky district that allows for grants for rehabilitation. The current owner is not interested in restoring the building, however, although there may be others who are willing to buy it.

The building has been vacant for years and was condemned by the city on July 10. The grocery store closed in January 1981, and was service-oriented and carried out-of-the-ordinary items. After its closure, the building was used as a campaign quarters for a brief period of time before becoming vacant.

• 2 weeks later...

Old Y reprieved, preservationist hopes to acquire it

By Vince Tweddell, State-Journal, October 9, 2007

City commissioners Monday night backed off on demolishing the former YMCA on Bridge Street.

John Gray, who has been in discussions to purchase the building from the owner, Louisville resident Bob Ehrler, hopes to own it by the end of October. He has requested a six- to nine-month grace period to get the rehabilitation started.

Gray is currently rehabilitating the St. Clair Street building that housed the Downtown Bar, which was burned in a March 4 arson. Gray has stated that the old YMCA is in better shape than the Downtown Bar when rehabilitation work began. He mentioned that there were three minor structural problems with the YMCA building, which includes the front wall settling, a patio slab that needs to be rebuilt, and a gym floor that needs to be reconstructed. But the building, he noted, was "built like Fort Knox."

Gray plans to turn the second and third floors into condominiums, and use the first floor for a restaurant and assembly area.

In early September, commissioners ordered the city to pursue demolition of the property because Ehrler hadn't made the city aware of any plans to rehab the property. But at the work session, they supported Gray and his plans and expressed hope that a use could be found for the property.

Grand Theatre wins approval of new sign on West Main Street

By Charlie Pearl, State Journal [Frankfort], October 19, 2007

The Grand Theatre on 310 W. Main Street in downtown Frankfort will reopen in spring 2009 -- sporting a large illuminated sign similar to the historic one on the former theater. The multicolored, 188 sq. ft. sign will have four lockable panels to market coming attractions at the Grand, which will become a performing and visual arts center.

The Frankfort/Franklin County Planning Commission approved a waiver to the central business district sign regulations Thursday to allow internal illumination of the sign, but included some conditions including --

1. All lighting must be turned off at the beginning of the last showing or event, or at 1 AM, whichever occurs first. Lighting must be turned off by 10 PM on evenings when no shows or events are scheduled.

2. The sign should not project from the exterior wall by more than three inches for pedestrian safety. The owners of the building requested six inches, as a structural steel beam was added in the 1960s when a brick wall was removed for a glass front, which would support the sign. The commission, after a discussion, agreed to a condition where the lower part of the sign, including the four panels, would be recessed into the brick wall so it wouldn't project out and be a hazard to pedestrians, to which the owner said that it could be done.

(The future of downtown) "is in jeopardy, is based on the cultural, arts and entertainment anchors, specialty shops, and the existing judicial and legal community presence. Signage as proposed for the Grand Theatre will be a critical element in bringing life to the downtown and encouraging those who are here to stay or others to visit."

- Bill Cull, president of Save the Grand Theatre Inc.

Archived